Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes
    It could only happen if they fired Apothecary.

He should be fired. He deserves firing more than any tech executive in the past decade.

Still, the fact that he's loaded the board of directors with cronies probably rules that out. It would take a revolt by the large shareholders to boot him. Even then, it would be hard for a new CEO to miss the icebergs Apothecary has steered HP towards.

Then again, who knows? This is HP, they booted their last two CEOs for screw ups FAR less damaging than what Leo has wrought in the past 10 days.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    ...he could run for Senate

sry couldn't resist.
    Quote Originally Posted by LurkerX View Post
    The stockholders should be lynching him. He just threw away abut $100 million in undercutting prices for no reason at all.
    Pennies in comparison to what they lost in stock value during this whole debacle. Better to end it quick.
    I for one do believe that HP will not be selling a single new touchpad at the current firesale price. They are going to announce something like "due to increased demand the TP will continue to be produced and sold at limited amounts" like $299 and $249, or more... I know it's still a loss, but I also think HP is going to announce something like "reconsidering the position on hardware development"

If HP really wanted to quit, they would have quit. They didn't. webOS is still alive. I do now have DOCUMENT EDITING!!! OMG... webOS is around and HP has noticed the interest. They are going to make something out of it... my gut tells me they will try to keep this low supply and high demand thing going, but not let a$$holes on ebay make all the money, this time.
    Last edited by kill_Dano; 08/30/2011 at 07:40 PM.
    shanpalm61 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    I for one do believe that HP will not be selling a single new touchpad at the current firesale price. They are going to announce something like "due to increased demand the TP continue will be produced and sold at limited amounts" like $299 and $250. Or more... I know it's still a loss, but I also think HP is going to announce something like "reconsidering the position on hardware development"
    There's nothing in your post to indicate WHY they would continue to sell them at a loss??? They get no real benefit from it at all. A loss is a loss.

If HP really wanted to quit, they would have quit. They didn't. webOS is still alive.
    They did quit. They have done exactly what they said they would do, which is to kill hardware production and focus on the OS. You don't seem to take into account the fact that they must continue to support any TP they sell.

I do now have DOCUMENT EDITING!!! OMG...
    HP did not give you that...

They are going to make something out of it... my gut tells me they will try to keep this low supply and high demand thing going, but not let a$$holes on ebay make all the money, this time.
    ...again, how do they profit? A loss is a loss. The most I expect to see from HP is a half-a*sed effort to keep webOS presentable for possible sale or license. If nothing comes of it relatively soon then webOS might get lucky and live out the rest of its days running ATM machines and cash registers.
    and fridges......and toasters
    If it had a chance of actually happening it would be the TouchPad 1 probably with a slight change in design/specs at a higher price($250-$300 range) and make all our TPs outdated and in need of replacement :P

Suppose they could always try and get someone else to design and build the hardware then slap an HP label on it as well. *me wonders if foxconn would be interested in taking over the design aspect
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    The CEO has said that they are getting out of the business, leaving aside the other issues - he's already been accused of being weak and confused, to change his mind now would cost him more political capital and undermine his position now. Bottom line - I can't see how HP will do a 180 while LA is at the helm.
    Herk_FE and xtremeview like this.
    Last edited by fraseringermany; 10/02/2013 at 03:37 AM.
    HP Communities - A $40 Billion Start-up - HP Communities

(I love the first comment, BTW).

I'd wish they would have put the TouchPad and Palm Phones in with this spin-off.

Maybe they'll see the light and this new division will start making TouchPads again....

That story also links to this:

Spirit of a Startup. Security of HP.
    +1 for that comment. I'd much rather see webOS get spunoff with the PC division, and have Todd Bradley run it.

As for the rest of the article, it's is crap. HP just need to shut up until they decide what they want to do.

But enough talk. Check out the sample ad below. Keep in mind that nothing has been confirmed except HP’s preference for spinning off the business. If you’d like more information on the topic take a look at Spirit of a Startup. Security of HP..
    If nothing is confirmed, why are you talking about spinning off as a start up?
    "HP has announced a limited manufacturing run of Touchpads to be available in the next few weeks. The HP employee making the announcement posted 'I think it's safe to say we were pleasantly surprised by the response' to their massively discounted, sold-at-a-huge-loss tablet."

HP Communities - More TouchPads on the Way - HP Communities
    Impatiently waiting to get a 32G model.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Astronomer View Post
    "HP has announced a limited manufacturing run of Touchpads to be available in the next few weeks. The HP employee making the announcement posted 'I think it's safe to say we were pleasantly surprised by the response' to their massively discounted, sold-at-a-huge-loss tablet."

HP Communities - More TouchPads on the Way - HP Communities
    OK cool but it was also stated in stories that the Touchpad may not be dead anyway the "One more batch" is this model there may be a newer version behind it.
    Why would HP make more if they do not or will not continue
    Seems to me that its being seriously kicked around that if they keep the excitement going its better than stupid ads and they can introduce a Touchpad 2 in November by Black Friday
    Losing $207 a Pop, H-P Brings Back Its iPad Rival - WSJ.com

WSJ says HP loses about $207 each for the 16 Gig TouchPads:

"The decision to manufacture a second run, however, left analysts scratching their heads. The introductory model of the TouchPad costs $306 to manufacture, according to an estimate from research firm IHS iSuppli, suggesting a loss of roughly two-thirds if it is sold for $99."

' "They did a lot of these moves in haste," Mr. Wu said. He said the move will likely create confusion among customers and application developers, which H-P is still trying to woo.'
    Quote Originally Posted by SandraW View Post
    On the other hand, the news from HP indicates that they may sell this new
    batch of Touchpads at a high price. Makes no sense to me...
    "HP itself, however, will continue to offer the TouchPad on its retail Web site for $99 and $150, for the 16GB and 32GB versions, respectively, an HP representative told CNET today."

HP to bring back TouchPad for last production run | Nanotech - The Circuits Blog - CNET News
    It's almost like they're without a plan.
    Probably had leftover parts, may as well assemble them and sell.
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beardedspoooon View Post
    Probably had leftover parts, may as well assemble them and sell.
    Better to throw them away and lose less money
    spare likes this.
    It seems that there is an under the table battle between PSG and the upper management. Todd Bradley built a PC empire and brought in his old friends from Palm as the next step in growing the business; Leo Apotheker came and wanted to pull the plug. I see the Touchpad fire sell as Todd's way of saying "F you" to Leo and the other bean counters; while building up the webOS user base along the way.

Now Leo wants PSG to just go away; while PSG wants freedom from Leo. What a mess, but let's hope we get an innovative computer company out of it. It's sad to see Apple telling the world that they are the only remaining company that innovates in the PC market, I hope Todd's new company can be the next one.

By the way, should the spun-off PSG be called Compaq, Palm or Compaq-Palm (CP)?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast