Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1  
    Just got my HP touchpad and love it. I do want to disable (if possible) one of the functions. When I plug-in the touchpad to an electrical outlet via the usb cable, the touchpad automatically turns on. Is there anyway to disable this function? I just want it to charge.
    Not that I am aware of. Just press the power button to put it back to sleep or -- get "nightstand' for exhibition mode.
    bevcraw likes this.
    The problem is if you hit power it is still not locked if it gets bumped again... it remains unlocked which is very aggravating
    I notice that even doing this, when a notification comes in, the TP will come awake. Is there way to avoid this other than turning off notifications?
    you can shut it off after you plug it in and it is fully booted.

but, i'm not sure how that changes charging characteristics because some of the brains of the charging circuit may also be turned off. Not sure about the last part.

personally I recommend that you never turn it off.
    I believe there is a "just charge" patch in preware
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohmytvc15 View Post
    I believe there is a "just charge" patch in preware
    that's not what that patch does, it just skips the charge/US dialog pop up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    that's not what that patch does, it just skips the charge/US dialog pop up.
    you're right sorry
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    you can shut it off after you plug it in and it is fully booted.

but, i'm not sure how that changes charging characteristics because some of the brains of the charging circuit may also be turned off. Not sure about the last part.

personally I recommend that you never turn it off.
    Did you just make this up, or are you basing it on something? Genuine question, as I would have though it would charge quicker while powered off due to not requiring any power, well, powering anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by antoniopess View Post
    Just got my HP touchpad and love it. I do want to disable (if possible) one of the functions. When I plug-in the touchpad to an electrical outlet via the usb cable, the touchpad automatically turns on. Is there anyway to disable this function? I just want it to charge.
    This happened with my Pre-
    Im pretty sure the only way is to plug it up, let it full boot up, then shut it back down while still plugged in and it will charge while being off.
    Pain in the ***, but thats how webos is with somethings.
    Ordered 32GB TouchPad on 8/21/11@1pm HPO#30579xxx, WO#4423xxx
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Wow, very flawed design...charge should NOT turn device on.
    Curiously...(hope that's a word) my iPad does the same thing when I plug it in for some reason....what a piece of crap :O
    gjbnh likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prelude Ron View Post
    This happened with my Pre-
    Im pretty sure the only way is to plug it up, let it full boot up, then shut it back down while still plugged in and it will charge while being off.
    Pain in the ***, but thats how webos is with somethings.
    My Pre- is missing its power button, so I depend on this to turn my phone on when my battery dies.

I just think of them as always-on devices. Could it also be related to why webOS is almost impossible to brick?
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    yeah this is one of the many flaws in the Touchpad.. it was the first flaw i noticed when i went to charge the device for the first time after i received the unit.

makes you wonder how on earth they planned to sell this thing for $500-$600. could you imagin if your laptop or netbook booted up each time it was put to charge?

it's a good device but surely not worth full price..
    Quote Originally Posted by rs4ftw View Post
    yeah this is one of the many flaws in the Touchpad.. it was the first flaw i noticed when i went to charge the device for the first time after i received the unit.

makes you wonder how on earth they planned to sell this thing for $500-$600. could you imagin if your laptop or netbook booted up each time it was put to charge?

it's a good device but surely not worth full price..
    I wouldn't consider it a flaw. My phone turns on automatically when you plug it in to the charger. I think tablets are more of a "leave on all the time" device than laptops and what not are. Realistically, even my wife's laptop lives in sleep mode when it's not being used which amounts to the same thing.
    My Pre minus does the same thing as does my Touchpad. Also, the ipad has the same behavior. I guess it's just one of the those always on features...
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Once again, why do you need to turn off the TouchPad?
    Personally, the only time I can envision turning off the power, as opposed to just the screen being turned off, is if I was on a long haul flight and was not planning on using the tPad. In which case I might want to preserve some battery. BUt other than that scenario I really can't imagine why I would ever want to turn off my tPad.
    Last edited by Sanjay; 09/06/2011 at 03:37 PM.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    knownboyofno likes this.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    My guess is he, as I, would make good user of a "sleep" mode... I don't care to have it illuminating my room all night nor do I care if I get notifications in the middle of the night (it's not my work pager, so I dont need to be notified that badly) and I'd just assume it left the screen off so that it'd charge faster, waste less power, put less ware and tare on the battery and backlight etc.
    Rather than disabling every kind of notification that might come in at night and disabling BT and WiFi every night to accomplish a "quiet night mode" (and re-enabling in the day), a sleep mode would be a single easy way to have no interruptions and still get a very quick startup. I'd expect that very type of dilemna is why sleep mode was invented in the first place for PCs.
    Quote Originally Posted by sdittmar View Post
    My guess is he, as I, would make good user of a "sleep" mode... I don't care to have it illuminating my room all night nor do I care if I get notifications in the middle of the night (it's not my work pager, so I dont need to be notified that badly) and I'd just assume it left the screen off so that it'd charge faster, waste less power, put less ware and tare on the battery and backlight etc.
    Rather than disabling every kind of notification that might come in at night and disabling BT and WiFi every night to accomplish a "quiet night mode" (and re-enabling in the day), a sleep mode would be a single easy way to have no interruptions and still get a very quick startup. I'd expect that very type of dilemna is why sleep mode was invented in the first place for PCs.
    Agree 100%! ****es me off that I can't put it to sleep while on my touchstone. I hate having it turn on every time I get a a spam email at 2am. Huge design flaw imo.

edit: really? P.i.s.s is a bad word and blocked?
    I bought the hp leather / rubber case for mine and when I put it on the touchstone, you can hide the screen with the flip over stand. Sometimes at night I just take a peak to see what time it is...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast