Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1.    #1  
    Am I the only one who thinks reading PDF on Touchpad is a painful/slow experience?

On my PC, the PDF files display pages one after another, with no noticeble delay.

On my iPad 2(64GB, 3G), the PDF files display pages with a noticeble half-second delay
    and lets me go to the next several pages with no delay.

On both of my Touchpads, the PDF files takes at least 2 or more seconds to render
    each page. Skipping 3 or more pges will result in a white screen with the Adobe log.

Are there no other PDF readers available? Adobe no longer has the exclusive rights
    to PDF files.... (on my PC, I have two other PDF readers besides the Adobe one)
    Is anybody else working on a PDF reader app for Touchpad?
    I've noticed it is slow as well... much slower than reading .PDFs on my iPad 2 and Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
    PDF viewing is horrible with Adobe Reader... cant wait for a alternative solution... hopefully pReader will add support...
    TPwebOS820 likes this.
    I'd also like a "go to" page option. Swiping (even with the page list view) takes ages on PDF textbooks.
    MercuryCrest and jdcowboy like this.
    I'd like to be able to access my bookmarks and hyperlinks. I spent a long time setting up a PDF version of a book I own with bookmarks and links to websites and I'd like to be able to use them as I had intended.

However, by far the most frustrating thing is that when I zoom in on a page (with the scanned pages, the zoom feature really helps) I can't flip to the next page easily.

I have to either zoom out, flick upwards, zoom back in -or- tap the top, wait for a second until the menu bar pops up, press the pages button, wait for that to open, then select the next page...then zoom in again.

These are menial things, so please don't think I'm just complaining, but they do affect the overall experience of reading on this thing. (I suppose here would be a good place to point out that I am a new TP user and I LOVE this little tablet!)

Bookmarks, hyperlinks, and back/forward pages capability....Are you listening, Adobe?
    Quote Originally Posted by JMTouchPad View Post
    I'd also like a "go to" page option. Swiping (even with the page list view) takes ages on PDF textbooks.
    Adobe Reader already has "Go To" options.....

On the top bar when viewing a PDF, you can either tap on the page number and a scrollable list opens up OR if you click the square button next to the "Save As" button it brings up a preview mode and you can scroll through to select a page.
    I am, therefore I think
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    I also would like a good PDF reader that supports bookmarks or at least to keep my place where I left off is a necessary feature.
    I haven't noticed a large delay when turning pages.
    But then again, I've over-clocked my Touchpad
    To be honest I have not played with pdf's but I did notice when I got my office update their was an adobe update I grabbed
    I use my PDF viewer all of the time (clients email me schedules and updates) and they open and scroll just fine for me and yes on big files you do have the option to "go to" pages.
    It feels slow even on an overclocked TP. Another problem is that it doesn't let you zoom in very far, perhaps 133% or 150%, but even then the rendering is just pitiful. Maps are a pixelated mess.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Antioch View Post
    It feels slow even on an overclocked TP. Another problem is that it doesn't let you zoom in very far, perhaps 133% or 150%, but even then the rendering is just pitiful. Maps are a pixelated mess.
    I think the problem is software, not hardware, so overclocking it won't help that much.

I made a test PDF file with 10 pages. All pages contain just one word "TEST" in the middle.
    The Touchpad's Adobe Reader still took 1 second to render each page.... I find that to be
    just unacceptable. Whoever wrote the Adobe Reader app for Touchpad should be forced
    to read **** magazines on PDF using the Touchpad.
    Yeah, PDF viewing is painful here too. I'm not overclocking mostly out of principle right now. I want to get a vague feeling of what a normal user get. TBH, it's not very promising compared to the competition. But at <$150... well, you live with it and hope it gets better =)
    Well, not to sound like the Devil's advocate or anything, but if it takes 1 second to render a page, how fast does it take for you to read a page? And if you can just jump to any page, then why is it a problem? I do agree that the rendering quality leaves a lot to be desired though.
    PDF reader in WebOS sucks hard.

that's why I'm trying to get ubuntu working without a keyboard.

I have temporarily tried xournal on ubuntu for pdf files and it is absolutely superior to the PDF reader on WebOS.
    The included PDF reader is a major bummer. I have some scanned PDF maps I wanted to use on the TouchPad but they're useless because you can't zoom.

Quite disappointing. It seems like the PDF reader (like many of the other applications) is a half-baked, half-assed effort.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    How is the epub performance? There are free programs for PDF-->EPUB conversion.
    I miss repligo.
    Yes the WebOS PDF reader is slow and horrible.... Sticking with my Ipad for now as far as PDF reading goes.....
    Quote Originally Posted by jdale View Post
    How is the epub performance? There are free programs for PDF-->EPUB conversion.
    epub performance is terrible with Preader Native. Every time I hit the flip page button, I sort of have to figure it's 50/50 whether it will actually flip the page or not.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast