Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 57 of 57
Like Tree5Likes
  1. #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by clayclay350 View Post
    It has "go to page", if you tap on the page number at the top bar or the square icon with lines, you can use either.
    Yes, I know about that, but if you're reading a 200+ page PDF, scrolling is kinda PITA.

    A 'goto page' where the page number is typed in is needed.
    Eric10301 likes this.
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by jblather View Post
    Yes, I know about that, but if you're reading a 200+ page PDF, scrolling is kinda PITA.

    A 'goto page' where the page number is typed in is needed.
    +1
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by jblather View Post
    Yes, I know about that, but if you're reading a 200+ page PDF, scrolling is kinda PITA.

    A 'goto page' where the page number is typed in is needed.
    I guess I can't really complain about it because I bought my Touchpad for $87 from HP.com
    (after the coupon code). If the built-in PDF app doesn't work well... so be it. I can't
    expect that much when I only paid $87, right?

    My other tablet, the iPad 2, cost me $829 plus tax. It handles PDF with no lag and everything
    renders quickly and smoothly.(just as fast as on my PC)

    On the other hand, what about those people who paid full price($499 or $399) for their
    Touchpads?
  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by jblather View Post
    Yes, I know about that, but if you're reading a 200+ page PDF, scrolling is kinda PITA.

    A 'goto page' where the page number is typed in is needed.
    + another one!

    Also, it would be nice if it saved your location on close, oh and bookmarks too. That would be dandy!

    Performance on my unit is fine otherwise.
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by clayclay350 View Post
    Adobe Reader already has "Go To" options.....

    On the top bar when viewing a PDF, you can either tap on the page number and a scrollable list opens up OR if you click the square button next to the "Save As" button it brings up a preview mode and you can scroll through to select a page.
    Quote Originally Posted by ohiomoto View Post
    + another one!

    Also, it would be nice if it saved your location on close, oh and bookmarks too. That would be dandy!

    Performance on my unit is fine otherwise.

    Yup, sorry if I wasn't clear but yeah this is what I would like. GoTo option to type in the page number (so I can view the contents/index quickly and jump to page 876 pretty quickly. It takes a while even with that scroll bar - but that does help).

    Another thing I've noticed is that you can't zoom in too far on touchpad pdf viewer. So handouts/detailed diagrams cannot be seen.

    HOWEVER, as mentioned above, I can easily forgive that (as well as other quirks, like touchpad not turning off now or calendar entries in touchpad not going to google calendar)
    because I did get it on the cheap. It was an interim thing though. Maybe I'll get an iPad 3/Transformer 2 in new year (I have to get MBAir first for uni work).
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by ohiomoto View Post
    + another one!

    Also, it would be nice if it saved your location on close, oh and bookmarks too. That would be dandy!

    Performance on my unit is fine otherwise.
    + whatever, it's a lot of +s

    A typed-in page number is critical. I have 200, 400, even 1600 page pdfs. I'm not scrolling through that, and it's an easy feature to implement, anyway. (I found this thread on a search, figuring there had to be some way -- it amazes me that something so basic was left out.)

    Fwiw, remembering last page read would be a #2 priority, followed by search.
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by jackie hayes View Post
    + whatever, it's a lot of +s

    A typed-in page number is critical. I have 200, 400, even 1600 page pdfs. I'm not scrolling through that, and it's an easy feature to implement, anyway. (I found this thread on a search, figuring there had to be some way -- it amazes me that something so basic was left out.)

    Fwiw, remembering last page read would be a #2 priority, followed by search.
    The Touchpad's PDF reader is a disaster. When I read PDFs with dozens of pages,
    it's impossible to scroll through the pages quickly. Every page require one to two
    seconds to render. Scrolling on my old iPad 1 doens't do that, I can scroll just as
    fast as on a PC's PDF reader.

    How can there not be a better PDF reader for the Touchpad? I'll gladly pay 99 cents
    for it.
  8. #48  
    Is there anyway to get the version of adobe thats on my Touch Pro 2 onto the TP? I can go to select pages and do word searches on there. Makes no sense to me why a version on a phone that is a few years old can do this but not on here.
  9. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #49  
    Yeah i was using it for reading PDFs for a few days when I first got it but have gone back to using my PC.

    Any developers planning to develop an alternative?

    Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk
  10. zc1
    zc1 is offline
    zc1's Avatar
    Posts
    90 Posts
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    #50  
    I agree that the PDF reader is inferior to the readers available on other tablets. Those who say it's fine should find themselves a 600-page document and try to get to page 300.

    1. It needs search capability
    2. It needs a proper "jump to" function (i.e. type in page number and it jumps right to that page). The present "jump to any page so long as it's within 22 pages of the one you're currently on" isn't good enough, and neither is the scrollable thumbnail view.
    3. The font and image scaling on zooming isn't very good
    4. It needs to support bookmarks

    For $100 this is maybe acceptable. For the $500+ that HP originally wanted for this device, it's absurd. This is a tablet. It *should* be great as a reader, right out of the box -- websites, PDFs, e-Books.

    My phone shouldn't handle reading duty better than my tablet.
    jblather likes this.
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by zc1 View Post
    I agree that the PDF reader is inferior to the readers available on other tablets. Those who say it's fine should find themselves a 600-page document and try to get to page 300.

    ......

    For $100 this is maybe acceptable. For the $500+ that HP originally wanted for this device, it's absurd. This is a tablet. It *should* be great as a reader, right out of the box -- websites, PDFs, e-Books.

    My phone shouldn't handle reading duty better than my tablet.

    wow.... trying to get to page 300 of 600 is what I call cruel and unusal punishment!

    I agree that it's "acceptable" on a $84 Touchpad. If I bought it at $499(or $399)
    price that HP originally wanted, I would have returned it to the store in a couple of
    days.

    Having said that, I'm totally in love with my Touchpads.(each one was only $84, of course)
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by roundruler View Post
    I agree that it's "acceptable" on a $84 Touchpad. If I bought it at $499(or $399) price that HP originally wanted, I would have returned it to the store in a couple of
    days.
    I agree, if I paid full price, I would have returned it, too.
  13. #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by SandraW View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks reading PDF [...] is a painful/slow experience?
    I think you could have just stopped with this.
  14. #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    I think you could have just stopped with this.
    I have learned to live with the limitations of the Touchpad's PDF reader.

    It's fine if I'm actually reading stuff, not just scrolling.
  15. #55  
    How I "solved" the PDF problem:

    - install Ubuntu
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-d...-touchpad.html
    - run autoconfig
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-d...on-ubuntu.html
    - remember to download tweaks from preware and disable keyboard for xserver

    once in ubuntu:
    - open xournal and load the pdf
    - disable gestures (lower-right circle icon, keep finger pressed, then disable)
    - put xournal in fullscreen (there is an icon in a menu bar)
    - use hand to scroll through pdf.

    xournal has "go to page", you can highlight very nicely and is full screen.

    also, you can have ubuntu to run in portrait mode and then xournal becomes even better.
    It's a shame that there is no native webos alternative to this.

    Last edited by mkln; 09/08/2011 at 08:00 PM.
  16. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by m1dwestrep View Post
    Is there anyway to get the version of adobe thats on my Touch Pro 2 onto the TP? I can go to select pages and do word searches on there. Makes no sense to me why a version on a phone that is a few years old can do this but not on here.
    Here and there, I keep running into hints that webOS was rebuilt for the tablets. My impression is that a lot of apps are being rebuilt for webOS 3.0, and that when it came time to ship, a lot of them were just tied off and shipped. This includes Adobe Reader, QuickOffice, the default web browser, and so on.

    As said above, for the price point they were going for, and maybe for the enterprise markets they were hoping to crack, the apps needed to be more feature complete then they came out as.
  17. #57  
    Knows about APPs

    Has a Twitter account too.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions