Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    I agree that Adobe PDF reader performance is sluggish and lacks major features. This is sad, but it's still better than the PDF viewer on my Pre- that only opens half of the PDFs I come across. Here's hoping they improve performance "in the coming weeks".
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    What did the last update fix?
    Pre 3
    HP touchpad
    Uberkernel running @ 1.5 Ghz
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Actually, playing with it now, it seems pretty snappy. I don't know if that is because of the update, or overclocking, or all the system patches. But I have no complaints about speed with this document.

I know that some PDFs are better than others. I have a few that drag to a crawl even on my computer. Just poorly formatted I guess.

There do seem to be some missing navigation and zoom options. E.g. you can zoom a page, but it reverts as soon as you go to the next page. There doesn't seem to be any way to read through a document at any zoom level other than full page. Also no convenient way to jump to the end of a long document. E.g. I have a 150 page document, have to scroll through the page list to get to the end.
    I've noticed it as well, but only with PDFs with mixed content (text + pictures). I loaded up the D&D Pathfinder books, but they're basically unusable past 100 pages or so. However, I copied the content into Word 2010 and saved as PDF and it works a lot better.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by n00bxqb View Post
    I've noticed it as well, but only with PDFs with mixed content (text + pictures). I loaded up the D&D Pathfinder books, but they're basically unusable past 100 pages or so. However, I copied the content into Word 2010 and saved as PDF and it works a lot better.
    Could you tell me how you did this? I'm interested in trying
    anything to make PDFs more tolerable on the Touchpad.

Thanks!
    It seems to be just me, but the performance of PDFs is awesome. That was a major concern of mine since the Kindle is horrible with them (poor resolution can't fit the page on a screen without resorting to 2pt font.

Pages with a lot of graphics render instantly for me. Then again, I have F4 on it and a number of patches designed to increase performance.
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland View Post

Pages with a lot of graphics render instantly for me. Then again, I have F4 on it and a number of patches designed to increase performance.
    I overclocked one of my two Touchpads to only 1.5GHz. I have also installed a lot of
    patches suggested in this forum, including those in the stickies. It makes the PDF
    render only slightly faster... still a 1 or 2 second delay.

I don't feel comfortable taking it up to 1.7GHz.... are there other patches that you
    can recommend to boost the performance?

Thanks!
    I read an entire book in pdf yesterday and had no issues. Pages flipped easily and quickly, everything worked well.

It was a -tiny- bit annoying that flipping pages wasnt a bit easier (having to do the up-swipe every page where it would be nice if it had a smooth scroll view or easier tap-to-change page or something).

Hell, maybe those options even exist, but everything was working nice and quick enough for me not to bother. I enjoyed the experience...
    Maybe I'm just lucky but PDFS are rendering fine for me. Performance is good, not great (zooming in and out needs to get more precise and smooth). But images, graphics and text all pretty much loads instantly when I navigate to a page.

I have not overclocked my TouchPad at all. I am using the most up-to-date version of Adobe Reader.

I agree that a bookmarking feature is desperately needed.
    I am, therefore I think
    Is anyone else having problems with Adobe Reader on the TP There was a recent update, and now it will not open?!!!? I was going to uninstall and reinstall but I didn't see reader in the app catalog
    not seeing what you all are seeing. just opened 37 page document..selected pages to views from scroll bar and them from previewer...not especially slow. its fine for an on-the-go work bridge, which is what I use it for...tethered to my ancient Pre. Maybe I check out other tabs. or not.
    Yes, I not only over clocked my Touchpad, I also turned off all that worthless logging that slows things down. As per the instructions in the forum's beginner's guide.
  13. w0z
    Has anyone found a way to Search using the latest Acrobat update?
    The thing that bothers me most is you can't scroll so you're between pages (look at the bottom of one page and top of the next). Also, the top part of every page is hidden below the menu bar at the top of the screen. So if the margins are small on the PDF, you need to drag your finger down and hold it there to read the contents until you get low enough to let go and have it pop back up under the menu bar.
    Quote Originally Posted by mkrajew View Post
    Also, the top part of every page is hidden below the menu bar at the top of the screen. So if the margins are small on the PDF, you need to drag your finger down and hold it there to read the contents until you get low enough to let go and have it pop back up under the menu bar.
    If you tap the screen, the menu bar toggles off then on
    I use it to read datasheets and entire magazines. I haven't seen a performance issue.

However, it would be nice to have a 'goto page' feature and a search.
    Quote Originally Posted by nyrath View Post
    If you tap the screen, the menu bar toggles off then on
    Awesome. How did I not discover this? I just was only ever scrolling up or down....never tried just to tap. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by blacktreerecordings View Post
    Is anyone else having problems with Adobe Reader on the TP There was a recent update, and now it will not open?!!!? I was going to uninstall and reinstall but I didn't see reader in the app catalog
    I am having the same issue and I really don't want to doctor my touchpad with less than a month of using it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by jblather View Post
    I use it to read datasheets and entire magazines. I haven't seen a performance issue.

However, it would be nice to have a 'goto page' feature and a search.
    It has "go to page", if you tap on the page number at the top bar or the square icon with lines, you can use either.
    I am, therefore I think
    everything renders quick for me.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast