Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    HP just sent me a refurb for the crack next to my speaker..and so far so good. But there's one big problem. The screen has like a purple tint to it. On my other touchpad, the whites are bright white. This one is like a dim tint..even with the brightness at the same level and auto dim off. My original touchpad screen has a very bright colored screen. What would you guys do? Deal with it, or call HP again? I still have my original touchpad with me. I didn't send it back yet.
    I'd send both of them back, but that's just me.
    if you can put the hp folio case and if that covers the crack, i would keep the original as bright screen is important, to me.
    Call HP again. Don't settle for anything other than a fully working replacement.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohmytvc15 View Post
    I'd send both of them back, but that's just me.
    why? lol
  6.    #6  
    I'm definitely going to give them a call, hopefully they don't give me a hard time. Maybe I should just ask for the case option instead of the refurb. Cause there really isn't anything wrong with my original touchpad other than the fact that it has a crack next to the speaker .
    Quote Originally Posted by palml0ver View Post
    why? lol
    Well, you paid for a new one, you're entitled to a new one in perfect condition. Call them.
    No matter if you get a new one, at some point you are most likely going to have the case crack by the speaker again since it's a pretty common design flaw. If it were me, I'd call HP and see if they will swap it again... but if they wont/can't I would keep the one with the crack. I have a crack and put the device in the HP case to keep it safe. I'd rather have a crack than a screen that didn't look right to me all the time. Find out from HP what your options are and then make your pick.
    palml0ver likes this.
    Last year, I purchased an HP laptop top that cost a pretty penny. Its delivery was delayed by the volcano in Iceland. When I opened the box, there was a tiny crack at the lower left corner of the Touchpad (the mouse ). Did I send it back... heck no. I put a little sticker over it and have been using it with no problems ever since. The crack has not gotten bigger.

With the scarcity of Touchpads, there is no guarantee that you'll get a "new" replacement. Since you like the whiteness of your original, get a cover and a little gorilla glue and enjoy!
    palml0ver likes this.
  10.    #10  
    I called them and it seemed to be like a common problem..how sad. Something always must go wrong with these products lol. They said to send my refurb back, and once they get it back they'll send me a new one. If this one has the same problem, I'm just going to keep my original touchpad and put a case on it asap!
    I also have hairline cracks near speakers area and contacted HP for that matter. They offered me a exchange or give me ADP (Accidental Damage Plan) for free. I took ADP deal because current cracks are annoying, but other than that, the device is working nearly? perfect. And I worry the case like OP. I think that ADP gives me more protection for one year even I dropped it on floor.
    Yes, my TouchPad is in HP case all the time. But, who know what will happen?
    The cracks are very light/small, you have to look really close to see them and they are cosmetic, not structural. If it was me and everything else works fine on my TouchPad, I would just keep it.
  13.    #13  
    You can definitely notice mine... if it was that small i wouldn't have called them. im not that anal! haha. the one on mine sticks out. its very noticeable.
    when you received the refurb, did it come with charger? I might have to return mine and they said keep my charger.
    What? They are sending you a new one? My device came with a two dead pixels, hardly noticeable but still, I called and they pretty much told me there is nothing they can do until they get some new touchpads. I decided I didn't care much however so I'm keeping it.
    Send em both back... You'll be paranoid about the crack getting worse and the world will start to look abnormally colored after prolonged use of your Touchpad! :-)
    Actually, get the HP case and Touchstone... You'll never look back...

I bought a leather case from Amazon, I hate it compared to the HP case which is awesome. I also got a Joby Ori case for the ipad1 and it fits well, I love this case, its bulkier than the HP one but is aluminum and incredibly functional... This video's corny but makes the case well:
    you do need to make decision soon, once they run out everything, you will have much less opportunity to replace the defect unit.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    you do need to make decision soon, once they run out everything, you will have much less opportunity to replace the defect unit.
    Everyone should be aware of how rma replacements work. Every company that makes a product keeps a bunch specifically for rma purposes. When the first repairs trickle in the end user will get a new one until a certain number of broken ones is repaired, then you start getting actual refurbs. Now companies will retain enough stock to cover repairs until the product is end of lifed plus the length of time any warranties would be valid for.

For the tp, since it seems there are going to be a lot of returns, this may not be feasible, but I suspect HP still has metric crap load of these for rma purposes.

The question now becomes, will the "fixed" ones still have the weak plastic and poor glue on the screens? I have two very bad cracks, my wife has none. Neither of us has separation of the screen. She uses hers more than I do so it seems there may be two vendors providing backs. Or maybe a bad batch of plastic, though hers and mine were from the same Wal-Mart shipment, doesn't mean they were from the same batch.

I'm awaiting my replacement. If the screen is bad, I will complain again, but I'm not adverse from just gluing this and waiting for my case to show up. Even though I only paid 150, I do still expect HP to stand by their products.
    Quote Originally Posted by palml0ver View Post
    You can definitely notice mine... if it was that small i wouldn't have called them. im not that anal! haha. the one on mine sticks out. its very noticeable.
    Too bad you can't remove the cover and replace it with the referb you just got. My buddy had the same issue as you and that's how he solved the problem.**** Warning. I don't recommend that at all BTW!
    I love Nerdy Girls.
    Oh... I should totally follow this BAMF www.twitter.com/demiroquai
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast