Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By OldSkoolVWLover
  1.    #1  
    HP leaves TouchPad Go suppliers adrift with parts for 100K tablets

August 30, 2011 | Devindra Hardawar

WebOS fans werenít the only ones let down by HPís sudden decision to give up on its mobile hardware weeks ago. Component suppliers who were gearing up to build 100,000 units of HPís TouchPad Go, a 7-inch version of its tablet, were also left high and dry, Digitimes reports.

Sources tell the site that suppliers are in negotiations with HP to figure out some sort of solutions of for their now useless supply inventory. HP Taiwan says it wonít abandon the suppliers completely, but itís unclear what exactly the company will be able to offer as recompense. The sources add that HPís headquarters in the US still havenít communicated to the companyís Taiwanese arm about what to do.

Production for the TouchPad Go was supposed to start at the end of this quarter.

Making amends with these suppliers will be another major expense for HP, which will likely lose hundreds of millions over the shutdown of its WebOS hardware. All of those $99 TouchPads will surely come back to bite HP, especially since the tablets have an estimated build cost of around $300. The company also spent a pretty penny on the TouchPadís marketing campaign, which continued running days after the tablet was officially discontinued.

HP leaves TouchPad Go suppliers in the lurch with parts for 100K tablets | VentureBeat
    $50 7inch tablets? I'll take one.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    65fastback likes this.
    With "barely used" TouchPads going for 200ish on CL and Kijiji, if they build these and sell them at the 199/299 price point it'll sell. The smaller screen could translate to cheaper cost of manufacture.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Bring it on...
    Pilot Pro -> Pilot Vx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Pre -> Pixi Plus -> Pre2 + TouchPad -> BB 9930 -> Pre3+ Playbook
    Verizon -> Cingular -> ATT -> Sprint -> Verizon -> ATT
    Global Posts
    956 Global Posts
    Next china 7inch tablet with android 2.2 you see will be the TouchPad go :-P

Anwho... manufacturing agreements are funny stuff- if release of ownership in the contract is not untill handoff- then HP can leave and not pay a dime to the manufacturer :-P

They should just finish them and push them out out 100/150 in a massive preorder campaign that is capped at 100k or whatever- drop ship from the manufacturer and clause this one with no warrenty or even DOA protection if they wish.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    With "barely used" TouchPads going for 200ish on CL and Kijiji, if they build these and sell them at the 199/299 price point it'll sell. The smaller screen could translate to cheaper cost of manufacture.
    Agreed. The question is do they want to take the time?

I am somewhat hoping that if these is a second round of TP sales on HP they sell them at $199/$249 or something like that. I would happily buy one and get a good value, IMO, but it would keep some of the speculators away. The question is could they liquidate them at that price.
    I hope they make them still.
    The smaller screen could translate to cheaper cost of manufacture
    No, with the same screen resolution.

It's expensive keep the same resolution in smaller screen...

I hope they make them still.
    Me, too...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    If they were $50 I'd take two!
    My published and impending WebOS apps -
    Quote Originally Posted by iprice View Post
    True, but between 2 of us we have 2 16 gig and 1 32 gig 10 inchers. Sooner or later the wife is gonna draw the line.

If they really came out at 50 I would probably sell my 16 gig.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iprice View Post
    Lets not be greedy!
    I don't see HP putting this into production. If they did, I'd surely jump on it b/c the 7" is the form factor I've wanted to begin with. Just so disappointed that it never came to fruition.

I don't think they'll have a problem selling it but realistically, if you build it, you must support it and warranty it just like they are with their current TPs. To offer to sell without warranty? That's not going to happen and that's just bad business practice which will destroy HP's already eroded consumer confidence.

But yes, I really do want one... bad!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by pk1234 View Post
    Lets not be greedy!
    I missed out on getting a TouchPad, and I need something to develop on. If one goes pop, then I'll have a spare.
    My published and impending WebOS apps -
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rbrusuelas View Post
    HP leaves TouchPad Go suppliers adrift with parts for 100K tablets

August 30, 2011 | Devindra Hardawar

WebOS fans werenít the only ones let down by HPís sudden decision to give up on its mobile hardware weeks ago. Component suppliers who were gearing up to build 100,000 units of HPís TouchPad Go, a 7-inch version of its tablet, were also left high and dry, Digitimes reports.

Sources tell the site that suppliers are in negotiations with HP to figure out some sort of solutions of for their now useless supply inventory. HP Taiwan says it wonít abandon the suppliers completely, but itís unclear what exactly the company will be able to offer as recompense. The sources add that HPís headquarters in the US still havenít communicated to the companyís Taiwanese arm about what to do.

Production for the TouchPad Go was supposed to start at the end of this quarter.

Making amends with these suppliers will be another major expense for HP, which will likely lose hundreds of millions over the shutdown of its WebOS hardware. All of those $99 TouchPads will surely come back to bite HP, especially since the tablets have an estimated build cost of around $300. The company also spent a pretty penny on the TouchPadís marketing campaign, which continued running days after the tablet was officially discontinued.

HP leaves TouchPad Go suppliers in the lurch with parts for 100K tablets | VentureBeat
    This explains why they're doing another manufacturing run.
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-webo...touchpads.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_B View Post
    This explains why they're doing another manufacturing run.
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-webo...touchpads.html
    These are 2 different stories though. One is in regards to more 10inch TP's where the other is about the unreleased device that many were waiting for.
    Quote Originally Posted by xadion View Post
    They should just finish them and push them out out 100/150 in a massive preorder campaign that is capped at 100k or whatever- drop ship from the manufacturer and clause this one with no warrenty or even DOA protection if they wish.
    I'd take one!
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    I'll take two! Sorli...