1.    #1  
    Hi all,

Is anyone else noticing that on the speaker side of the touchpad, the screen is coming loose?

I can visibly see it seperated from the unit (as if the adhesive is not holding it down)?

If you push on the edge, it has some give to it...

You can feel that the screen is not flush with the body...

Would this be covered by HP/if I sent it in, would i get it repaired?
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    I've got this on mine, too. Maybe it's a design feature?
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    my two are perfect no such defects
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    My understanding is that unlike the iPad the TouchPad is built more like a PC/Laptop. It's modular and relatively easy to tear down. There isn't any glue holding components together (which is why there's some added weight, screws and such). That being said this means that the problem you are seeing is probably easily fixed by tearing the unit down and tightening a screw. There should be a couple of sites with tear down instructions like iFixit. The only option if you aren't comfortable with that level of work is to contact HP.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by nhavar View Post
    My understanding is that unlike the iPad the TouchPad is built more like a PC/Laptop. It's modular and relatively easy to tear down. There isn't any glue holding components together (which is why there's some added weight, screws and such). That being said this means that the problem you are seeing is probably easily fixed by tearing the unit down and tightening a screw. There should be a couple of sites with tear down instructions like iFixit. The only option if you aren't comfortable with that level of work is to contact HP.
    Hmm... I don't see what type of screw would be causing the left side of my display to be acting as it is... I could be wrong.

I'm actually on a chat with HP right now...

It's hilarious!! The guy tells me i have 2 options, advanced exchange or I send my unit in and have it repaired...

I ask if they have units in stock for advanced exchange... he tells me to contact sales to find what stock they have.

HAHA!!! This is great!
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I have the same problem. I got my touchpad 2 days ago and notice the top left corner screen is loose. It seems the adhesive is holding down.
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    My screen has come loose along the speakers edge. First noticed it a month ago when it would catch my finger while swiping up to launch the browser. Add the speaker cracks and case warping issues and I am just waiting to need to send my TP in for repair or replacement.
    I Have cracks by my speaker too, but I don't wanna send it away and wait forever to get it back, plus I got mines on ebay (sealed) but I assume that I don't have a claim anyway.. But I do have a case ... And glue should my screen start to depart form the housing
    Quote Originally Posted by h20wakebum View Post
    Hi all,

Is anyone else noticing that on the speaker side of the touchpad, the screen is coming loose?

I can visibly see it seperated from the unit (as if the adhesive is not holding it down)?

It's due to the touch panel ribbon cable in that location. The touch panel glass is glued onto the plastic LCD housing, and the ribbon cable is just kind of squished there. It pushes up against the adhesive. I would just peel it up a little and super glue it.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by h20wakebum View Post
    Hi all,

I'm sending mine tomorrow for repair. Hp is sending me a box package to send my TP back to texas for repair. I hope to get back without any issue. They said it will take 2 weeks. I would rather have it check then wait till my warranty expires.
    Quote Originally Posted by deados View Post
    It's due to the touch panel ribbon cable in that location. The touch panel glass is glued onto the plastic LCD housing, and the ribbon cable is just kind of squished there. It pushes up against the adhesive. I would just peel it up a little and super glue it.
    I'm starting to see this problem of the screen starting to come up on the speaker side, so I squish it back down gently and it slowly comes back up. Seems kind of spongey along that edge.

Can you describe this super glue fix a little more? Thanks!
    IIIxe -> Zaurus SL-5500 -> Zire 72s -> Curve -> Droid X -> iPad -> TouchPad 32GB
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    Just wanted to add something to the debate:
    HP TouchPad: Teardown and hardware analysis | TechRepublic

The video shows a tear-down and clearly explains how the front, with the glass-screen, is held to the backcover with plastic tabs... If I were to experience problems like the ones discussed in this thread, I'd definitely try to fix it myself... Seems to be just a matter of having it clicked into the tabs correctly. Hope this helps some of you!
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    I sent mine to HP to address a speaker and recharging issue. When they sent it back, the screen was lifting in the top left corner (near the speaker). I returned it to them and they sent it back in worse condition. I give up and will try one of the teardown options above. Sigh.