Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 87
Like Tree11Likes
  1. smatofu's Avatar
    Posts
    36 Posts
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
       #61  
    Below is the code I modified. It is in the in /usr/palm/aplications/com.palm.app.browser/source/BrowserApp .jsjsjs $file$. $1st$ $and$ $last$ $lines$ $are$ $original$, $copy$ $and$ $insert$ $the$ $rest$. $Of$ $course$, $make$ $a$ $backup$ $copy$ $before$ $modifying$ $the$ $file$. $I$ $used$ $Internalz$ $Pro$ $with$ $Master$ $mode$.

    The code will allow you to control the browser through bookmark titles. You can enter the following command separated with space
    jsjsjs+ $javascripts$ $on$
    jsjsjs- $javascripts$ $off$
    pb+ private browsing on
    pb- private browsing off
    cc clear cache
    Command should be separated with spaces.
    Restart Luna/device after the change.

    With this code you can
    1) optimize the browser for your favorite websites,
    2) make preference changes easier and faster.

    selectItem: function(inSender, inItem) {
    if ((inItem.title.indexOf(" pb+"))>=0)
    {
    this.privateBrowsing = false;
    this.privateClick();
    };
    if ((inItem.title.indexOf(" pb-"))>=0)
    {
    this.privateBrowsing = true;
    this.privateClick();
    };
    if ((inItem.title.indexOf(" jsjsjs+&$quot$;))&$gt$;=$0$) {
    this.browserPreferences["enableJavascript"] = true;
    this.$.browserPrefsService.call({props: {value: true}, query: {from: this.$.browserPrefsService.dbKind, where: [{prop:"key","op":"=","val":"enableJavascript"}]}}, {method: "merge"});
    this.applyPreference("enableJavascript", true);
    };
    if ((inItem.title.indexOf(" jsjsjs-&$quot$;))&$gt$;=$0$) {
    this.browserPreferences["enableJavascript"] = false;
    this.$.browserPrefsService.call({props: {value: false}, query: {from: this.$.browserPrefsService.dbKind, where: [{prop:"key","op":"=","val":"enableJavascript"}]}}, {method: "merge"});
    this.applyPreference("enableJavascript", false);
    };
    if ((inItem.title.indexOf(" cc"))>=0) {
    new PalmServiceBridge().call('palm://com.palm.browserServer/clearCache', '{}');
    };
    this.setUrl(inItem.url);
    Last edited by smatofu; 09/02/2011 at 10:11 AM.
  2. #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by smatofu View Post
    Below is the code I modified. It is in the in /usr/palm/aplications/com.palm.app.browser/source/BrowserApp .jsjsjs $file$. $1st$ $and$ $last$ $lines$ $are$ $original$, $copy$ $and$ $insert$ $the$ $rest$. $Of$ $course$, $make$ $a$ $backup$ $copy$ $before$ $modifying$ $the$ $file$. $I$ $used$ $Internalz$ $Pro$ $with$ $Master$ $mode$.

    The code will allow you to control the browser through bookmark titles. You can enter the following command separated with space
    jsjsjs+ * $javascripts$ $on$
    jsjsjs- $javascripts$ $off$
    pb+ private browsing on
    pb- private browsing off
    cc clear cache
    Command should be separated with spaces.
    Restart Luna/device after the change.
    With this code you can 1) optimize the browser for your favorite websites, 2) make preference changes easier and faster.

    selectItem: function(inSender, inItem) {
    if ((inItem.title.indexOf(" pb+"))>=0)
    {
    this.privateBrowsing = false;
    this.privateClick();
    };
    if ((inItem.title.indexOf(" pb-"))>=0)
    {
    this.privateBrowsing = true;
    this.privateClick();
    };
    if ((inItem.title.indexOf(" jsjsjs+&$quot$;))&$gt$;=$0$) {
    this.browserPreferences["enableJavascript"] = true;
    this.$.browserPrefsService.call({props: {value: true}, query: {from: this.$.browserPrefsService.dbKind, where: [{prop:"key","op":"=","val":"enableJavascript"}]}}, {method: "merge"});
    this.applyPreference("enableJavascript", true);
    };
    if ((inItem.title.indexOf(" jsjsjs-&$quot$;))&$gt$;=$0$) {
    this.browserPreferences["enableJavascript"] = false;
    this.$.browserPrefsService.call({props: {value: false}, query: {from: this.$.browserPrefsService.dbKind, where: [{prop:"key","op":"=","val":"enableJavascript"}]}}, {method: "merge"});
    this.applyPreference("enableJavascript", false);
    };
    if ((inItem.title.indexOf(" cc"))>=0) {
    new PalmServiceBridge().call('palm://com.palm.browserServer/clearCache', '{}');
    };
    this.setUrl(inItem.url);
    Great work but this should be a patch for those of us casual users.
  3. smatofu's Avatar
    Posts
    36 Posts
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
       #63  
    For now, a patch is too difficult, but I will think about it.
  4. #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by azentropy View Post
    iPad2 Total: 1822.1ms +/- 0.2%
    TouchPad Total: 3793.8ms +/- 9.5%
    I think this tells us a lot of what you are seeing.

    I've seen the iPad 2 clock in at around 2000 on the Sunspider - iPad 2 Outperforms Original iPad In SunSpider JavaScript Benchmark Test | The Readers Eye

    Or even 2120 - iPad 2 Browser Benchmarked With SunSpider - Comes Out Blazingly Fast! | how2i.com

    On these forums you can search for SunSpider and find that without overclocking it, it will come in around 3800.

    This to me says that your beta OS upgrade on the iPad 2 is giving you better results than the norm - check my math, but it's about 15% faster.

    While admittedly the Javascript performance on the stock TouchPad is clearly behind the iPad 2, that contradicts the video where the TouchPad was quite competitive with the iPad 2.

    I look at that video where it's close and think that if one were to apply the kernels to overclock (or in the case of UberKernel, clock the chip at 1.5Ghz as it is listed) it would be pretty close.

    I don't have an iPad 2 to test, but I can say that my Sunspider score with the F4 Phantom Kernel at 1.8Ghz installed is around 2700. So while I will see better performance than you, my evaluation is based only on what I can see which is that video. I wish I could find more videos, but it seems like no one tests the TouchPad with Flash off.

    What's interesting to me is that if we are going to call the TouchPad slow, based on the first post on this thread, we have to call Android devices just about as slow. I'm not sure the browsing time comparisons between Android and iOS are that far apart, are they?
  5. #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by smatofu View Post
    For now, a patch is too difficult, but I will think about it.
    What would be really difficult, but super awesome, is if there was a crowdsourced list of best options for the most popular websites and the patch would use that in the same way that it would use an Ad Blocker.
  6. #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by azentropy View Post
    Maybe my WiFi is faster, but that doesn't explain why my iPad2 is 2x-5x faster than my TouchPad going to the same sites on the same WiFi network again comparing with comparable settings (Javascript ON, Flash OFF).

    Good point about the the SunSpider mark, and there is a big difference between the iPad2 and the TouchPad. It also explains why pages are much slower loading on the TouchPad and where WebOS, or the browser, really needs to improve.
    It's the javascript engine that's in the version of webkit that webOS uses. It is older than what Apple is using. That's why Enyo apps running on the iPad 2 were 2x as fast as the same apps running on the TouchPad.
  7. #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland View Post
    I think this tells us a lot of what you are seeing.


    On these forums you can search for SunSpider and find that without overclocking it, it will come in around 3800.
    Mine is over clocked, but as you can tell by the results there are large deviations in the timings. I ran it again after a reboot and get about 3300 on the TouchPad.



    While admittedly the Javascript performance on the stock TouchPad is clearly behind the iPad 2, that contradicts the video where the TouchPad was quite competitive with the iPad 2.

    I look at that video where it's close and think that if one were to apply the kernels to overclock (or in the case of UberKernel, clock the chip at 1.5Ghz as it is listed) it would be pretty close.

    I don't have an iPad 2 to test, but I can say that my Sunspider score with the F4 Phantom Kernel at 1.8Ghz installed is around 2700. So while I will see better performance than you, my evaluation is based only on what I can see which is that video. I wish I could find more videos, but it seems like no one tests the TouchPad with Flash off.
    In simple pages they are close, but that is only because simple pages are well simple! I'm still seeing the TouchPad as about 1/2 the speed of the iPad2. When something takes 1 second and the other takes 2 seconds you don't really notice. When something takes 4 seconds and the other takes 8 it still isn't that bad. But when something takes 10 seconds and the other takes 20 it starts to get annoying...

    Anyway here is a clip of own very crappy shot video just showing engadget. Had my iPhone literally duct taped to a small tripod trying to get both screens in. The TouchPad is over clocked to 1.5ghz, has Flash OFF and AdBlocker installed. This is pretty typical on what I see on the sites I go to. I had just cleared the cache on both and went to CNet first but mis-clicked on the TouchPad so I cut off that part.



    Again I hope that HP is still working hard on improving the JavaScript performance on WebOS as it does look like that is the bottleneck.
  8. #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by azentropy View Post
    Well at first I called BS, but then I tried. I too get some significant improvements with turning OFF Javascript. I already had Flash OFF. Not to the level you are, but now seeing engadget load in in ~13 seconds and CNet in ~11. Refreshing each now under 10 sec. Of course most sites use JavaScript, so some functionality is lost.
    Good lord it is much faster with Javascript off! CNET went from 38 seconds to less than 10 seconds with it off. I'm leaving it off on my web browser. Thanks for the tip!
    jen.c likes this.
  9. smatofu's Avatar
    Posts
    36 Posts
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
       #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Good lord it is much faster with Javascript off! CNET went from 38 seconds to less than 10 seconds with it off. I'm leaving it off on my web browser. Thanks for the tip!
    You can try my script changes and you can define in bookmarks which websites load with JSJSJS $OFF$ $and$ $which$ $with$ $JS$ $ON$.
    You can even have the same website twice: one with JSJSJS $ON$, $one$ $with$ $JS$ $OFF$.

    You can read here how to organize your bookmarks:

    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...bookmarks.html
  10. #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by smatofu View Post
    WebOS Experts,

    Is there a way to completely turn off the cache, please?
    Or maybe, at least, have a scheduled process to clean the cache a few times per day?
    Or maybe, set some user rights to the cache folder so nothing can be written there?
    There should be a way to disable caching with the webOS browser. It's just not good for any browsing of forums.
  11. smatofu's Avatar
    Posts
    36 Posts
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
       #71  
    Patch is attached to the 1st post.
  12. #72  
    just a comment, if you disable JavaScript it is very likely that you will run into quite a few issues. Most websites today use JavaScript heavily, if you turn it off and run into issues don't blame the website...
  13. smatofu's Avatar
    Posts
    36 Posts
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
       #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by clint View Post
    just a comment, if you disable JavaScript it is very likely that you will run into quite a few issues. Most websites today use JavaScript heavily, if you turn it off and run into issues don't blame the website...
    Not really, I found many websites that run pretty well without JavaScripts, for example,
    Engadget.com, Yahoo.com.

    Anyway, it is your choice: slow full-featured browsing or fast browsing. With the patch you can make your choice for each website/bookmark.
  14. #74  
    Thanks for the patch smatofu. I'm having trouble shutting off the private browsing with the pb- after successfully turning it on with the pb+.

    Then again, this isn't a big deal to me since going back to regular browsing from private browsing is very easy via the menu.

    Ahh, I just found the problem. I tried to create a bookmark to Google's home page with the title of just "jsjsjs+&$quot$; $and$ &$quot$;$pb$+&$quot$; $These$ $don$'$t$ $have$ $a$ $preceding$ $space$, $so$ $it$ $wasn$'$t$ $working$ $as$ $I$ $thought$. $Just$ $added$ $a$ $preceding$ $space$ ($as$ $your$ $code$ $showed$ $before$) $and$ $it$ $now$ $matches$ $the$ $conditions$ $and$ $works$.
    Last edited by bmacfarland; 09/04/2011 at 03:58 PM.
  15. #75  
    mark,haha
  16. #76  
    Why is this not getting more attention? Do we need more testers perhaps? Report back if you try it. I will once I get in front of my TP again.

    Thanks for attempting to fix two of the bigger issues with the TP today
  17. #77  
    @smatofu

    Thanks for the patch. This is something I've wanted to see on the TP browser since day one. JSJSJS $is$ $the$ $biggest$ $issue$ $with$ $the$ $browser$. . . $well$, $the$ $web$ $actually$ $since$ $so$ $many$ $sites$ $are$ $abusing$ $it$ $for$ $ads$ $and$ $needless$ $things$ $thus$ $loading$ $30$+ $scripts$ $and$ $not$ $even$ $bothering$ $to$ $compress$ $them$ $into$ $one$ $file$.

    idea. . . maybe a option to disable JSJSJS $for$ $third$ $party$ $sites$ $but$ $allow$ $the$ $main$ $domain$.

    fyi, made a mistake--stupid auto-correct capitalizing the J. (updated)


    Took me a couple moments to figure it out. . . for others,
    adding " jsjsjs-&$quot$; $or$ &$quot$; $js$+&$quot$; $disables$ $or$ $enables$ $JavaScript$ $in$ $the$ $preferences$. $Once$ $you$ $go$ $to$ $a$ $site$ $in$ $which$ $you$ $have$ $js$- ($JavaScript$ $disabled$) $it$ $will$ $be$ $disabled$ $till$ $you$ $go$ $to$ $a$ $site$ $that$ $has$ $a$ $bookmark$ $with$ $js$+ ($JavaScript$ $enabled$), $etc$. $At$ $least$ $that$'$s$ $what$ $I$ $think$ $is$ $going$ $on$.
    Last edited by Strodtbeck; 09/10/2011 at 11:50 AM. Reason: mistake
  18. #78  
    is it also possible to add switches for turning flash on and off in this script?
    f+ and f-
  19. #79  
    A quick question. Don't know if it already has been answered.
    When I turn off Flash on my TP and after a while on again Flash doesnt seem to work. I need to restart my TP to work with flash again.
  20. #80  
    I just noticed that too. Flash takes a while to start again...
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions