Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jdale View Post
    The adblocker uses a modified Hosts file, so your device won't talk to those domains at all. In principle you could have a program that swaps between different host files (on/off). But blocking per site would require an entirely different approach, more work and slower. Not that it can't be done, it's just the hard way whereas the current method is the quick and dirty shortcut.
    OK, interesting. What is the path to HOSTS on this device? Is there a term app available? Also, how can I get sudo to be allowed access to modify the HOSTS?

A tiny shell script for
    cp HOSTS HOSTS.on
    cp HOSTS.off HOSTS

... should be super simple.

Cut me a break if the answers are super easy - I've had the device a week or less.
    Quote Originally Posted by next_milenium View Post
    So is this mainly software or hardware issue?
    IMO it is definitely software. The dual-core 1.2GHz Snapdragon processor (APQ8060) is no slouch, even before over-clocking to 1.5, and the TouchPad has plenty of RAM. I don't think HP/Palm spent enough time optimizing or adding features to the browser.
    Quote Originally Posted by next_milenium View Post
    So is this mainly software or hardware issue?
    Software it should be, since the processor and other components are used in other tablets
    I think it is because of the way webOS browser works. The browser is basically a javascript app itself. The javascript engine running on top of linux is very fast, it has to be to run all the apps and services on the touchpad. So you basically have a javascript app running javascript code from a web page. If they could feed the javascript from a website to main jsjsjs $engine$, $it$ $would$ $be$ $a$ $lot$ $faster$.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    Just a few thoughts:

1) Every time someone confuses Java and Javascript, puppies and kittens die. They are two very different, and unrelated, technologies.

2) This quote is misguided:

Quote Originally Posted by Bagbug View Post
    It's 2011, we have a new tablet with a dual core processor and we have to disable Java and/or Flash to get decent speed while browsing with an OS named webOS !!

Wtg HP/Palm.
    The other tablets are just a second or two faster on a 30 second page. If the definition of "decent" is to get a page to download completely in under 10 seconds (as it seems to be because that is the time when Flash and JSJSJS $are$ $turned$ $off$), $then$ $no$ $other$ $tablet$ $gives$ $decent$ $performance$ $either$.

The problem where is the websites themselves. They load up on the Javascript for all the bells and whistles, when most people just want the content. CNet has 358KB of Javascript and only 152.1KB of actual HTML content (Pingdom Tools). That's a big deal.

3) People seem to be obsessed with the page being "completely loaded." I can see content in the first few seconds. If the rest of the page is downloading while I read, the difference between 20 and 25 seconds doesn't impact the usability of the browser.

4) The comment about the difference of a second that most people will never notice (see #3) iPad being a $500 device and TouchPad being a $100 is way off base. If the TouchPad was a second faster you wouldn't see the iPad at $100 and TouchPad at $500.
    Really you shouldn't be focused on getting the webOS browser better, and should be hounding the Opera Mobile and Skyfire teams to develop a webOS browser. If we could get the Opera Mobile team to develop a Flash-capable mobile browser, that would be awesome.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    I am a programmer but involved in databases; anyway I will try to modify a little bit of the browser when I have time.

Is someone efficient in WebOS to do it quickly, please?

Here is my plan:

1. Bookmarks have titles that can be modified. I will put in my bookmarks titles special codes, for example, JSJSJS+ $or$ $JS$- ($turns$ $JavaScipts$ $ON$/$OFF$), $or$ $CC$ ($clear$ $cache$).

2. I will try to modify scripts in /usr/palm/application/com.palm.app.browser/source/ to interpret my codes and to perform appropriate action.

Many websites work pretty decent without JavaScripts.

[[People seem to be obsessed with the page being "completely loaded." I can see content in the first few seconds.]]
    Yes, I am aware of it. However, the TouchPad is significantly less responsive until the website is completely loaded, subsequent pages load slower etc. Obviously, the TouchPad is busy until the blue line shows complete load.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland View Post
    The other tablets are just a second or two faster on a 30 second page. If the definition of "decent" is to get a page to download completely in under 10 seconds (as it seems to be because that is the time when Flash and JSJSJS $are$ $turned$ $off$), $then$ $no$ $other$ $tablet$ $gives$ $decent$ $performance$ $either$.
    But the aren't just a second or two faster. In my tests, see post #17, the iPad 2 is 2-5 TIMES faster with JavaScript ON and Flash OFF (I expect it to be slow with Flash ON, but that isn't an excuse for it to be slow with it OFF). There is a big difference in a page taking 7 seconds to load (iPad2) and taking 21 seconds (TouchPad) to load.

People seem to be obsessed with the page being "completely loaded." I can see content in the first few seconds. If the rest of the page is downloading while I read, the difference between 20 and 25 seconds doesn't impact the usability of the browser.
    Depends on the page. Sure if you you know exactly what you are looking for you can start reading. But most sites you are looking for something and need the page and all the object to load before you decide what you are going to look at. Or if you need the page to finish loading so you can log on etc...

I think those who don't think it is a big deal either don't really use the browser that much, or haven't used an iPad2 (or maybe the iPad with iOS 5 which is a huge improvement in Safari) extensively enough to really see what a big difference there is in the user experience.

I don't mean to bash the TouchPad as I really like it. For the $172 I paid for it (32gb from BB including shipping and tax) it is a bargain and I'll probably try to get a 16GB version when they start selling them again. But I am quite disappointed in the browsing speed, and features, compared to what I think it should be with the hardware it has.
    Quote Originally Posted by azentropy View Post
    But the aren't just a second or two faster. In my tests, see post #17, the iPad 2 is 2-5 TIMES faster with JavaScript ON and Flash OFF (I expect it to be slow with Flash ON, but that isn't an excuse for it to be slow with it OFF). There is a big difference in a page taking 7 seconds to load (iPad2) and taking 21 seconds (TouchPad) to load.
    My comment about the few seconds was in regard to the first post and the comparison to the Galaxy.

That said, something seems a little off on the Ipad times in post #17. I watched this video on YouTube that compares them side by side: at around the 11:20 mark. After a few tests, the person concludes that the iPad is more consistent, but the times are close.

Keep in mind this is a stock TouchPad - version 3.0.0, no logging patches, or overclocking. To say that the iPad is 2-5 times faster seems off.

Depends on the page. Sure if you you know exactly what you are looking for you can start reading. But most sites you are looking for something and need the page and all the object to load before you decide what you are going to look at. Or if you need the page to finish loading so you can log on etc...

I think those who don't think it is a big deal either don't really use the browser that much, or haven't used an iPad2 (or maybe the iPad with iOS 5 which is a huge improvement in Safari) extensively enough to really see what a big difference there is in the user experience.

I don't mean to bash the TouchPad as I really like it. For the $172 I paid for it (32gb from BB including shipping and tax) it is a bargain and I'll probably try to get a 16GB version when they start selling them again. But I am quite disappointed in the browsing speed, and features, compared to what I think it should be with the hardware it has.
    My comment was directed to the example pages used in this thread Cnet and Engadget. People who use those sites, generally know where to look for the information that is important to them.

In the wikipedia search for sharks, the text for the TouchPad comes up much quicker than the iPad 2, but the TouchPad stalls in getting the final Wikipedia logo - which is an unimportant detail on the page.

I got my TouchPad just yesterday and I've used it at my browser at lot more than I have used my Core i7 laptop. It's quick at getting the text that I'm looking for.

I think you give up some performance when you build a UI around web technologies like Javascript, HTML, etc. I know going in to the purchase that I'm not getting into webOS for the top performance. I'm in it for the most productivity.
    geewhiz likes this.
    Omg, this is the first tablet that will give you the full internet experience. If you want speed, and are complaining, go back to a laptop, Im pretty sure you will not have any trouble with explorer or windows since they have all their bugs fix and there are no more updates to fix things .... Give it time, post issues but dont whine or bash. just saying.....
    bbfanatic20 likes this.
    Private mode, Unthrottle patch, clearing cache. Made no notable difference, loading joystiq.com took 29-31 seconds when messing with these configurations. I disabled flash, and joystiq.com took 23 seconds to load. I kept flash off and disabled javascript and joystiq.com took 8 seconds to load. I re-enabled flash but left javascript off, page took just about 10 seconds.
    Quote Originally Posted by finecismad View Post
    Private mode, Unthrottle patch, clearing cache. Made no notable difference, loading joystiq.com took 29-31 seconds when messing with these configurations. I disabled flash, and joystiq.com took 23 seconds to load. I kept flash off and disabled javascript and joystiq.com took 8 seconds to load. I re-enabled flash but left javascript off, page took just about 10 seconds.
    Takes about 7 seconds on iPad 2 (now running 5b7 as of an hour ago), of course without flash but with JavaScript on. That is my point, big difference between 23 seconds and 7 seconds and show there is lots of room for improvement in the touchpad's rendering speed.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadZOmbie View Post
    Interesting, I'll have to try this and report back.
    I tried it for a day and sites like this one slowed down,

in fact they would not load right or at all

That said, something seems a little off on the Ipad times in post #17. I watched this video on YouTube that compares them side by side: at around the 11:20 mark. After a few tests, the person concludes that the iPad is more consistent, but the times are close.

Keep in mind this is a stock TouchPad - version 3.0.0, no logging patches, or overclocking. To say that the iPad is 2-5 times faster seems off.
    What is interesting to me there is my iPad 2 is MUCH faster doing the same searches/loading as the iPad 2 in their video. At least twice as fast. Again I'm running iOS 5b7 so maybe that is the difference.

I'll have my nephew's iPad 2 which is is still at iOS 4.3.4 this weekend and do some side by side tests with it as well.
    So I dont get it...Aside from the speed boosts of some 10-20 secs..whats the point?

Dont you use LOSE functionality and content on the site if they flash/jsjsjs $based$?

Im lost..It reminds me of turning off all the extra bells and whistles in a FPS to get it to run faster (more so years ago then now)..to the point of stick figures shooting guns?
    What is interesting to me there is my iPad 2 is MUCH faster doing the same searches/loading as the iPad 2 in their video. At least twice as fast. Again I'm running iOS 5b7 so maybe that is the difference.

I'll have my nephew's iPad 2 which is is still at iOS 4.3.4 this weekend and do some side by side tests with it as well.
    Maybe your IPad 2 is faster because your WiFi is better. Perhaps you can give us your Sunspider score? We could compare it to other iPad 2 Sunspider scores online.

Anyway, I wanted to point out that the Touchpad is fairly competitive.

With overclocking you get statements like: "Last night I decided to take it a step further with the homebrew stuff, and applied a test kernel that overclocks my TouchPad to 1.7 GHz. This has been a very stable upgrade that doesn’t impact battery life much, yet has made my TouchPad as fast as any tablet I have used."

Overclocking the HP TouchPad cranks up the speed | ZDNet
    Maybe your IPad 2 is faster because your WiFi is better. Perhaps you can give us your Sunspider score? We could compare it to other iPad 2 Sunspider scores online.

Anyway, I wanted to point out that the Touchpad is fairly competitive.

With overclocking you get statements like: "Last night I decided to take it a step further with the homebrew stuff, and applied a test kernel that overclocks my TouchPad to 1.7 GHz. This has been a very stable upgrade that doesn’t impact battery life much, yet has made my TouchPad as fast as any tablet I have used."

Overclocking the HP TouchPad cranks up the speed | ZDNet
    Maybe my WiFi is faster, but that doesn't explain why my iPad2 is 2x-5x faster than my TouchPad going to the same sites on the same WiFi network again comparing with comparable settings (Javascript ON, Flash OFF).

Good point about the the SunSpider mark, and there is a big difference between the iPad2 and the TouchPad. It also explains why pages are much slower loading on the TouchPad and where WebOS, or the browser, really needs to improve.

SunSpider JavaScript Benchmark

iPad2 Total: 1822.1ms +/- 0.2%
    TouchPad Total: 3793.8ms +/- 9.5%

Below are the full results from each. If someone has an iPad 2 running iOS 4.x I would really like to see the results from that. If not I'll grab my nephew's over the weekend.

iPad 2 SunSpider 0.9.1 JavaScript Benchmark:
    ============================================
    RESULTS (means and 95% confidence intervals)
    --------------------------------------------
    Total: 1822.1ms +/- 0.2%

3d: 222.5ms +/- 0.2%
    cube: 81.7ms +/- 0.6%
    morph: 57.7ms +/- 0.6%
    raytrace: 83.1ms +/- 0.5%

access: 228.5ms +/- 0.8%
    binary-trees: 47.2ms +/- 2.9%
    fannkuch: 96.2ms +/- 0.3%
    nbody: 56.2ms +/- 0.8%
    nsieve: 28.9ms +/- 2.2%

bitops: 140.6ms +/- 0.6%
    3bit-bits-in-byte: 23.4ms +/- 1.6%
    bits-in-byte: 29.5ms +/- 1.3%
    bitwise-and: 38.0ms +/- 1.3%
    nsieve-bits: 49.7ms +/- 0.7%

controlflow: 15.6ms +/- 2.4%
    recursive: 15.6ms +/- 2.4%

crypto: 133.1ms +/- 0.6%
    aes: 80.8ms +/- 0.8%
    md5: 29.4ms +/- 1.3%
    sha1: 22.9ms +/- 1.0%

date: 267.8ms +/- 0.9%
    format-tofte: 142.4ms +/- 1.0%
    format-xparb: 125.4ms +/- 1.0%

math: 176.9ms +/- 0.9%
    cordic: 63.1ms +/- 2.3%
    partial-sums: 74.9ms +/- 0.5%
    spectral-norm: 38.9ms +/- 0.6%

regexp: 70.5ms +/- 0.7%
    dna: 70.5ms +/- 0.7%

string: 566.6ms +/- 0.6%
    base64: 71.8ms +/- 1.4%
    fasta: 77.7ms +/- 0.8%
    tagcloud: 111.0ms +/- 0.6%
    unpack-code: 188.9ms +/- 0.4%
    validate-input: 117.2ms +/- 3.2%

Sent from my iPad

TouchPad SunSpider 0.9.1 JavaScript Benchmark:

RESULTS (means and 95% confidence intervals)
    Total: 3793.8ms +/- 9.5%
    3d: 595.9ms +/- 16.8%
    cube: 159.2ms +/- 1.9%
    morph: 172.1ms +/- 1.6%
    raytrace: 264.6ms +/- 38.7%
    access: 344.9ms +/- 30.6%
    binary-trees: 80.0ms +/- 107.0%
    fannkuch: 59.7ms +/- 1.0%
    nbody: 180.1ms +/- 48.4%
    nsieve: 25.1ms +/- 9.3%
    bitops: 181.8ms +/- 31.7%
    3bit-bits-in-byte: 12.0ms +/- 5.6%
    bits-in-byte: 24.5ms +/- 1.5%
    bitwise-and: 36.1ms +/- 6.6%
    nsieve-bits: 109.2ms +/- 53.1%
    controlflow: 10.4ms +/- 8.1%
    recursive: 10.4ms +/- 8.1%
    crypto: 177.6ms +/- 3.0%
    aes: 75.0ms +/- 4.5%
    md5: 50.8ms +/- 4.8%
    sha1: 51.8ms +/- 2.1%
    date: 436.3ms +/- 14.8%
    format-tofte: 133.4ms +/- 1.1%
    format-xparb: 302.9ms +/- 21.5%
    math: 498.9ms +/- 22.1%
    cordic: 214.3ms +/- 46.6%
    partial-sums: 198.3ms +/- 45.1%
    spectral-norm: 86.3ms +/- 78.8%
    regexp: 103.4ms +/- 12.8%
    dna: 103.4ms +/- 12.8%
    string: 1444.6ms +/- 21.1%
    base64: 55.2ms +/- 16.5%
    fasta: 121.8ms +/- 1.7%
    tagcloud: 354.5ms +/- 49.0%
    unpack-code: 685.5ms +/- 42.2%
    validate-input: 227.6ms +/- 4.8%

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad
    Last edited by azentropy; 09/01/2011 at 10:04 AM.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jdale View Post
    The adblocker uses a modified Hosts file, so your device won't talk to those domains at all. In principle you could have a program that swaps between different host files (on/off). But blocking per site would require an entirely different approach, more work and slower. Not that it can't be done, it's just the hard way whereas the current method is the quick and dirty shortcut.
    If this is true then why was I unable to load

PMWF correctly
    And
    Pre Central Correctly

and at times not at all?

Look maybe in theory its not supposed to block these sites but
    5 seconds after patch removal both sites popped up correctly after an hour of chaos trying to load them and this was for more than 24 hours. Real world test proved otherwise

I suspect the problem is the ad feeds and the lousy browser we have combination. You ad in ad block and it causes some kind of redirect problems

I blame the browser more than ad block but without the ad block I have had few problems where I had many many problems with the patch.

To me that proves there is something there
  19. LuD
    Quote Originally Posted by SandraW View Post
    Does HP pay BB the difference between $399 and $99?

How much money are retailers making by selling the Touchpads at $99?
    Or are they being reimbursed by HP?
    I would guess that the stores are going to get vendor kickbacks for each unit sold... Best Buy and other retailers wouldn't bother selling them if they lost money on each one.
    The only way i found out making the browser at it fastest in the touchpad is if you disable everything in preferences except for block popups. Disabling javascript and flash/autoload flash will result in a significant performance boost on par with the ipad 2 or even faster in some instance cases. But for some webpages it will not load properly at times, due to javascript is required. nevertheless i prefer surfing this way as its much faster and more enjoyable, if you want a page to load properly just re-enable java or flash. i dont use flash or javascript much, as long im able to read and log on some websites it's fine with me.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast