cnet.com - 20 secs
    engadget.com - 19 secs

Java OFF/Flash ON
    cnet.com - 8 secs
    engadget.com - 7 secs

Java OFF/Flash OFF
    cnet.com - 5 secs!!!
    engadget.com - 9 secs
    Well at first I called BS, but then I tried. I too get some significant improvements with turning OFF Javascript. I already had Flash OFF. Not to the level you are, but now seeing engadget load in in ~13 seconds and CNet in ~11. Refreshing each now under 10 sec. Of course most sites use JavaScript, so some functionality is lost.
    So is Java off in Ipad also? I can see how it's faster somewhat because it doesn't do Flash but the difference is too much!

Just did dowload speed testing (using speakeasy site) with and without the unthrottle download patch and I saw no difference. I'll leave it uninstalled for now.
    Last edited by next_milenium; 08/30/2011 at 04:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by next_milenium View Post
    So is Java off in Ipad also? I can see how it's faster somewhat because it doesn't do Flash but the difference is too much!
    Javascript was ON on my iPad 2 tests. I did test with Javascript OFF on the iPad 2 and each site took about 4 seconds the first time and < 2 seconds the next.
    the JSJSJS $engine$ $foe$ $th$ $TP$ $is$ $about$ $2x$ $as$ $slow$ $as$ $ISO$ &$amp$; $Android$--$it$'$s$ $not$ $good$ $at$ $the$ $moment$. . . $Lots$ $of$ $benchmarks$ $demonstrate$ $this$.

I swear, the first tablet that has a browser that can handle true web apps (google docs, zoho, reader, etc.) and builds in the ability to block useless code on sites will do very well IMO--think ad blocker + noscript built in, in a vert easy to use way (e.g. Chrome extension scriptno is a good example.)

boy would it be nice it the TP could scroll text areas properly :-O
    Global Posts
    1,292 Global Posts
    where is this clear cache tweak don't c it in Preware
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary86 View Post
    where is this clear cache tweak don't c it in Preware
    You don't need a Preware patch for it.

It is a standard button in the native TouchPad browser preferences. Click on the left corner of the title bar, then select Preferences.
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smatofu View Post
    You don't need a Preware patch for it.

It is a standard button in the native TouchPad browser preferences. Click on the left corner of the title bar, then select Preferences.
    ...and scroll down. it's at the bottom of the list below clear history/cookies/etc. Took me a little while to find it.
    The preware adblockers need to be improved. They should have an icon, so that you can build / maintain an exceptions list - for example, allowing ads on cbs.com or other video sites, while still blocking ads everywhere else. Or at a minimum, allow for "on/off" within the browser or other applications.

If there's a way to do this right now, let me know. I installed MaxBlocker, and basically wasn't able to use most video sites.

Also, loading the pages without script is not an option. Maybe Flash, sure, but nearly everything is JavaScript enabled now.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    [[Also, loading the pages without script is not an option.]]
    Yes, I agree that turning JavaScripts permanently is not an option. In the perfect world, it should just work well and be fast, but in reality it may be difficult to do.

So here is an idea: maybe, Flash On/Off, Popup On/Off, Cache On/Off, Private Browsing, and JavaScript On/Off could be done per domain. I visit many websites that work with JavaScripts Off (perhaps, some details on the websites don't work but I don't care). As a reward for turning JSJSJS $Off$ $I$ $would$ $get$ $a$ $super$ $fast$ $browsing$ ($5$ $secs$ $vs$. $25$ $secs$)

I just hope there will be/is a programmer interested in developing improvements to the TouchPad Browser.
    It's 2011, we have a new tablet with a dual core processor and we have to disable Java and/or Flash to get decent speed while browsing with an OS named webOS !!

Wtg HP/Palm.
    Pix likes this.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by larsoncc View Post
    The preware adblockers need to be improved. They should have an icon, so that you can build / maintain an exceptions list - for example, allowing ads on cbs.com or other video sites, while still blocking ads everywhere else. Or at a minimum, allow for "on/off" within the browser or other applications.
    The adblocker uses a modified Hosts file, so your device won't talk to those domains at all. In principle you could have a program that swaps between different host files (on/off). But blocking per site would require an entirely different approach, more work and slower. Not that it can't be done, it's just the hard way whereas the current method is the quick and dirty shortcut.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdale View Post
    The adblocker uses a modified Hosts file, so your device won't talk to those domains at all. In principle you could have a program that swaps between different host files (on/off). But blocking per site would require an entirely different approach, more work and slower. Not that it can't be done, it's just the hard way whereas the current method is the quick and dirty shortcut.
    is this the only thing Adblocker does. Im not complaining, Im just surprised how effective it is for a so obvious method.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagbug View Post
    It's 2011, we have a new tablet with a dual core processor and we have to disable Java and/or Flash to get decent speed while browsing with an OS named webOS !!

Wtg HP/Palm.
    I agree but that's why Ipad2=$500 while TP=$100/$150. Just saying...
    Quote Originally Posted by next_milenium View Post
    I agree but that's why Ipad2=$500 while TP=$100/$150. Just saying...
    That's not really valid. TP was a $500 device. If it started out at $100/150, things would be a little different.
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    I think it's probably flash content.

Is there a way to make videos play in m4v, mp4 or mov on sites that support it instead of flash?

Like the iPad does.
    any one know what the autoload flash setting does? I have mine set to off, but flash still loads when I load a page with it
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    [[I think it's probably flash content.]]

Not necessarily. For example, Engadget with Flash=ON and JSJSJS=$OFF$ $loads$ $in$ $5$ $seconds$ $and$ $all$ $flash$ $contents$ $work$ $well$.

Engadget with Flash=ON and JSJSJS=$ON$ $loads$ $in$ $20$ $seconds$
    Quote Originally Posted by beardedspoooon View Post
    That's not really valid. TP was a $500 device. If it started out at $100/150, things would be a little different.
    Regardless of what price point TP started, it's currently selling for $100 (more on ebay and CL but that's another story). Market place is a brutal place that usually prices items correctly based on demand and quality.
    kenmitch likes this.
    So it looks like the javascript performance in the browser is slow. Maybe some one can port FireFox for tables to web os

Mozilla Shows Off Firefox for Tablets | News & Opinion | PCMag.com
    So is this mainly software or hardware issue?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast