1.    #1  
    Is it possible to undervolt the HP Touchpad?

I'm wondering, because on my laptop, I have it undervolted, AND overclocked at the same time. The stock volts are around 1.1v, and I have it set to 1v, while the stock clocks are 2.13ghz, overclocked to 2.33GHZ and stable.

If we could undervolt the touchpad, while keeping it overclocked at 1.5ghz, that could even out the battery loss from overclocking.
    Overclocking in current processors doesn't really increase energy usage as energy saving technology keeps the processors at really low speeds most of the time. When the processor is in heavy use, it does use more energy, but it also completes processes faster, lowering the time a max clock is needed and thus balancing out total energy usage anyway.

This has been proven time and again on many AMD v Intel tests where Intel normally has a higher energy usage at peak, but uses less energy overall because it requires it's peak processing power for less time then the AMD.
    Wether or not you overclock or how the processor ramps up and down we could get increased battery life as the processor would use less voltage across the board. I have my laptop undervolted, it remains cooler and runs longer on a charge.
    I've had bad experiences with undervolting on Android, mostly with not going out from suspend.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by wydileie View Post
    Overclocking in current processors doesn't really increase energy usage as energy saving technology keeps the processors at really low speeds most of the time. When the processor is in heavy use, it does use more energy, but it also completes processes faster, lowering the time a max clock is needed and thus balancing out total energy usage anyway.

This has been proven time and again on many AMD v Intel tests where Intel normally has a higher energy usage at peak, but uses less energy overall because it requires it's peak processing power for less time then the AMD.
    This isn't comparing different CPU's, by undervolting as said in someone else's post, it lowers the overall power usage, at all speeds.

Also, what if you're doing something that uses the CPU consistently? The power usage would be higher, as the CPU would not throttle down.

There's no loss to undervolting, except for stability, but if it's stable at 1.7ghz, you should be able to get away with 1.5ghz and a bit of undervolting.
    Due to the inherent differences in all chips, even though they are identical, undervolting levels is very YMMV for each chip. There should be an app that can cycle the cpu through multiple overclocks as well as undervolts to find the optimum setting for that specific chip. Of course, such programs that exist for PCs are rare and never free (the good ones at least).
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by ******1337 View Post
    Due to the inherent differences in all chips, even though they are identical, undervolting levels is very YMMV for each chip. There should be an app that can cycle the cpu through multiple overclocks as well as undervolts to find the optimum setting for that specific chip. Of course, such programs that exist for PCs are rare and never free (the good ones at least).
    Is there any way to set your voltage though? It doesn't matter if it's a trial and error process, as I've done that before.
    Changing kernel voltages [Tutorial] | WebOS World

That's my "tutorial", hope it helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
  9.    #9  
    There doesn't seem to be any Override Parameters: CPU or System Voltage?
    Quote Originally Posted by dancom96 View Post
    There doesn't seem to be any Override Parameters: CPU or System Voltage?
    You should just be able to change it? I don't have a Touchpad with me but it should be an option in the Profile. Same place you set frequency and governor.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    You should just be able to change it? I don't have a Touchpad with me but it should be an option in the Profile. Same place you set frequency and governor.
    There are no settings under CPU Frequency related to volatge. Just Governor, Min/Max Freq, Sampling Rate, Up Threshold, Ignore Nice Load, and Powersave Bias