Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
  1.    #1  
    I just saw this article regarding HP remaining world's biggest PC maker

HP To Remain World's Biggest PC Maker, May Bring Back Tablet, Exec Says | FoxNews.com

A few paragraphs down is this little gem:

"Bradley said the company could resurrect HP's short-lived TouchPad tablet computer, which was introduced on July 1 before being terminated only about six weeks later."

Hmmm.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

DRFP likes this.
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    Full article:
    HP executive says PC business to remain world No.1 | Reuters

Todd "Bradley said the company could resurrect HP's short-lived TouchPad tablet computer, which was introduced on July 1 before being terminated only about six weeks later."

Hmm......
  3. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Phone business is tricky. Could be a smart move to keep the tablet. However they need both phone and tablet to complete the eco system.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Phone business is tricky. Could be a smart move to keep the tablet. However they need both phone and tablet to complete the eco system.
    I wouldn't think that is necessarily true, not if they license out WebOS to a company like Samsung to create the mobile side of the piece.
  5. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    come to think of it, what a wild ride we had. The demand was there. Pricing was bad. Why on earth they did a 180 ? Time will tell. Me thinks the new CEO run HP to ground. In services business there are million players out there ( from IBM to..... even Dell). Not sure how HP wants to earn fat margins ?

Applesque hardware business is the way to. Make desirable hardware and add great software to it.
  6. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveInFL View Post
    I wouldn't think that is necessarily true, not if they license out WebOS to a company like Samsung to create the mobile side of the piece.
    Looking at yesterday's news Sammy wants its own BADA platform to succeed. HTC will not do it. The only ones left are LG and Sony. Sony ericssons marriage is ready to break. That leaves LG. Which I highly doubt. In the end , it is better to spin off the company along with webOS division. It sure does make sense.
    HP's management is lost - they blow with the wind. They spend $1B+ on Palm, 6 months later say webOS will be shipping not only on phones and tablets but every PC (!?!) they ship, and less than a year later they say they're throwing in the towel. Two weeks later they say maybe not.

They don't have a vision, and even if they did, they don't have the b*lls to stay in the game.
    laoh likes this.
    Actually Bradley didn't say anything of the sort. If you read in the article the text actually quoted as being his words, the only thing he says in this regard is "Tablet computing is relevant, absolutely". Hardly the "We are going to recant our decision to can WebOS devices and start churning out Touchpads again" statement we'd all like.
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loccy View Post
    Actually Bradley didn't say anything of the sort. If you read in the article the text actually quoted as being his words, the only thing he says in this regard is "Tablet computing is relevant, absolutely". Hardly the "We are going to recant our decision to can WebOS devices and start churning out Touchpads again" statement we'd all like.
    I did read the whole article and the quote is verbatim from the article. You pulled your quote out of thin air. Neither Todd Bradley nor I said what you quoted. But thanks for playing.
    if psg gets spun off, it wouldn't be so much a recant of their decision to stop producing webOS devices, as that decision came from Lťo Apotheker without any consultation of Bradley.

A spin off, I would think, would be probably the best outcome for those that want to see webOS survice and thrive and have a shot at a future.
    Bradley said the company could resurrect HP's short-lived TouchPad tablet computer, which was introduced on July 1 before being terminated only about six weeks later.

"Tablet computing is a segment of the market that's relevant, absolutely," Bradley said.
    What Bradley stated is the portion highlighted in bold and which is in quotes. The part about the 'resurrection of the tablet', is entirely the author's own inference from Bradley's quote. I say the author is reading way too much into Bradley's quote and there really is not much to be excited about.
    Last edited by Sanjay; 08/30/2011 at 12:18 PM.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    What Bradley stated is the portion highlighetd in bold and which is in quotes. The part about the 'resurrection of the tablet', is entirely the author's own inference from Bradley's quote. I say the author is reading way too much into Bradley's quote and there really is not much to be excited about.
    Well - if they are spun off, what is going to be their tablet strategy? Windows 8? More HP Slates?

If they are spun off, and allowed to make their own decisions, as long as they still have webOS in house, it would make sense to manufacture new devices.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    According to: HP executive says PC business to remain world No.1 | Reuters

"Bradley said the company could resurrect HP's short-lived TouchPad tablet computer, which was introduced on July 1 before being terminated only about six weeks later.

'Tablet computing is a segment of the market that's relevant, absolutely,' Bradley said."
    I hope it will be TouchPad 7" which rumor said more superior compared to current TouchPad.
    sounds like he can't wait to be spun off to get away from Leo...

HP May Want To Resurrect The TouchPad
    The Bard and 65fastback like this.
    Although that's a nice quote, they are going to have to send that message really carefully to the consumer marketplace. "We're back!" won't be quite good enough.
    -- Bring back DateBk!!

Quote Originally Posted by rawrcat View Post
    According to: HP executive says PC business to remain world No.1 | Reuters

"Bradley said the company could resurrect HP's short-lived TouchPad tablet computer, which was introduced on July 1 before being terminated only about six weeks later.

'Tablet computing is a segment of the market that's relevant, absolutely,' Bradley said."
    It would be good to hear exactly what question he was asked as that answer could mean a future tablet that wasn't necessarily running webOS.
    @wtgreen I agree HP's management is lost. It's been bad decision after bad decision. I think the TP is a solid device, and could have been (will be?) a player in the tablet market.

One thing that I've seen bandied about is the fact that getting as many tablets out there in the market as they did is very similar to the strategy Sony, and to a lesser extent, Microsoft did, with their gaming consoles. As much as people complained about the high cost of the PS3, at those price points, Sony was still taking a loss on the unit.

They still sold like hotcakes. Sony got excellent market penetration, got people talking and using the PS3.

I will say the initial marketing of the TouchPad was handled poorly. HP's commercials used to be cutting edge, now, not so much. They needed that innovation for the TouchPad. I can't recall actually seeing a TouchPad ad.

So, now, HP does a 'firesale'. You can't get a TouchPad, no one has them. People are clamoring for it. We've all seen enough Apple, Samsung, Motorola ads that we think "I need a tablet, I have to have one, but the cost...." HP puts out a $99 tablet. The reaction? BOOM! Sell outs. If it was intentional, it's a brilliant move, piggy backing on the 'need' fed to us by other manufacturers.

I really would not be surprised at all if the TP isn't brought back, maybe at a higher price point than $99, but not like the original. Sold at a loss, revenue made up for in App purchases, something like that. IMHO, the TP is too solid of a device to stay dead.
    I also suspect you have to stand back a little and look at the overall situation.

HP is divesting itself of its PC Hardware division.

Therefore the Division will be going it alone, making its own management and product decisions.

It seems to me to be possible that the core HP management is saying "Thats it, stop everything" whilst the Products people are looking at the firesale queues and having a re-think, especially if HP do not find a "proper" buyer for the division and end up "selling" it to shareholders.

So you will continue to get "I'm out" messages from HP core and "hmmm, maybe" messages from PSG.

The other option is to sell the Touchpad to some Aisian manufacturer, all the design work, testing etc. as been done and development costs written off, again it could appear with another badge in a few months.
    they may do more tablets, but they won't have webos on them
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast