Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeking View Post
    I did read the whole article and the quote is verbatim from the article. You pulled your quote out of thin air. Neither Todd Bradley nor I said what you quoted. But thanks for playing.
    Bloody hell, talk about snarky - no need for that tone (he says, baffled by the animosity).

The quote you hone in on is verbatim from the article yes - the person who wrote the article:

Bradley said the company could resurrect HP's short-lived TouchPad tablet computer, which was introduced on July 1 before being terminated only about six weeks later.

"Tablet computing is a segment of the market that's relevant, absolutely," Bradley said.
    In contrast, what Bradley said is what's in quotes. (Sorry, I didn't get the quote exactly right - I was walking down the street typing on my Pre and doing it from memory.) What the article author said is what is NOT in quotes. Bradley says nothing about the Touchpad at all. He just says tablet computing isn't going to go away. What we have here unfortunately is, to my mind, an example of lazy journalism, with at best the author coming to their own conclusions and at worse being sensationalist - and not the reprieve we all want to see.

But I hope I'm wrong...!
    Last edited by Loccy; 08/30/2011 at 12:50 PM. Reason: clarity
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    Because webOS has lost them a good deal of money, and webOS tablets will not sell at a competitive price. HP can't make a profit selling it for what people are expecting to pay for a webOS tablet.

I could see HP waiting things out and giving Windows 8 a try on a tablet, but then again, how much money can you burn through before you decide a market is too crowded for you?
    Your statement because of Leo annoucement. No OS/Platform become profit so fast. There are lots of cost, miilions or maybe billions to develop an OS to become mature. No Pain No Gain! HP do nothing to make WebOS become better. Or not good enough!

Touchpad sales such bad because of HP's own fault, not the WebOS. They use old design tablet with old technology, (except the cpu). They don't want to spent money again to redesign the TouchPad. Price tag same with iPad 2 is the second big mistake HP done.

Do you think if Windows 8 launched no other manufacture such Acer, Dell, Toshiba, Fujitsu and many other not use it at same time? Windows 8 market will crowded even faster compared if HP still stick with WebOS for its tablet.
    Don't get me wrong, I like webOS. I just think it doesn't really have a chance against Android, iOS, and the upcoming Windows 8 tablets. It didn't sell on phones, didn't sell on tablets, so maybe it's time to stop sinking money into it. It's been over two years and it really hasn't made much of a dent.
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    its being reported that Cnet was told the same thing Touch pad may live and HP is preping for a big OTA update to make the OS even better Wow this has become wirlwind
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    Don't get me wrong, I like webOS. I just think it doesn't really have a chance against Android, iOS, and the upcoming Windows 8 tablets. It didn't sell on phones, didn't sell on tablets, so maybe it's time to stop sinking money into it. It's been over two years and it really hasn't made much of a dent.
    this is what I mean negative
    officially its being reported today its the second biggest seller now

Touch pad second biggest seller
    HP's Dead TouchPad Claims No. 2 Best-Selling Tablet Spot | Fast Company

so it seems opinion is overshadowed by reality

I for one would love to see it succeed as the apple alternative

win 8? Lol tablets? PC yes but M$ has failed on the phones so how do you think all of a sudden win 8 tablet will beat Ipad? Yes win 7 PC tablet is awesome but these are not pc tablets you may be comparing two different products

win 8 tablet is too late to the party like the win 7 phone

part of hp's problem with the TP was they took too long should have had it out before ipad2 but what they have done now is to shock it back to life back to life so much that people like me who never planned on buying bought one or want one now
    Last edited by drfp; 08/30/2011 at 02:47 PM.
    Take it for what it's worth:

http://m.techrepublic.com/blog/hiner/touchpad-lives-hps-spin-off-pc-unit-may-resurrect-it/9079?tag=nl.e019
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    That might attract apps developers. HP also announced the company has been diagnosed with schizophrenia.

Hewlett-Packard To Produce Another Batch Of TouchPads >HPQ - WSJ.com
    Hewlett-Packard Co. (HPQ) said in a corporate blog post dated Monday that it will temporarily resume manufacturing of its ill-fated tablet computer just 11 days after killing the machine as part of a sweeping corporate overhaul.

The resurrection of the TouchPad follows a surge in demand for the tablet after H-P dropped the price of the introductory model by roughly three-quarters to $99 to clear inventory. Palo Alto, Calif.-based H-P didn't say what it would charge for the new batch of TouchPads, but cautioned potential buyers there might not be enough go around.

"We don't know exactly when these units will be available or how many we'll get," H-P spokesman Mark Budgell wrote on a company blog. "We can't promise we'll have enough for everyone."
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drfp View Post
    First of all, nobody knows how many TouchPads were even made. Companies haven't announced their sales numbers for this quarter --- i.e. so all you got is the 1/2 million Playbook from the first 6 weeks back in April 17-May 31, what about June, July and August. Reasonable to assume that more Playbooks and Xooms were sold than TouchPads.

And it's not being negative --- it's being realistic.

The two Google co-founders have 57% of the voting rights. When they decide to do one thing and are willing to lose billions of dollars to gain market share --- there is nothing Wall Street can do.

Steve Ballmer will never get fired --- as long as he has the continued confidence of Bill Gates. There is nothing Wall Street can do about that either.

HP is a normal large company headed by a salaryman CEO with a salaryman Board of Directors. You CANNOT expect them to stick their necks out quarter after quarter losing $200-300 million per quarter for the next 3-4 years.
    Sooo HPs going to keep making the TouchPad?
    Stop messing with my emotions!

I Heart Chaos — Sooo HP's going to keep making the TouchPad? Stop messing with my emotions!

HP comes out with the TouchPad. In the short span of just a couple months, TouchPad sales are so dismal that HP says its seriously thinking about getting out of the hardware business period tablets, desktops, the whole lot. And so TouchPads drop to the fire sale price of $100 and suddenly the TouchPad is the hottest thing since the zipper fly. And now HP says that theyre going to keep making TouchPads at least through October, possibly longer. What?
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I've got a few friends on Facebook who follow tech stuff, particularly the mobile space. They're all Android or iThing devotees. Which is fine. They're actually kind to me when I go on about the clusterfark which is HP's surprise announcement. They feel sorry for me.

It's caused me to come up with a few metaphors. Firstly, in high school, I dated this beautiful gal who wanted to break up, but wasn't really sure. She would occasionally flirt after any sensible guy would've moved on, and I had fleeting hope, which was always dashed.

The other one is Steve Martin's "The Jerk" and Tim Robbins' "The Hudsucker Proxy". Idiots who are accidentally wildly successful.

Leo really screwed everyone announcing that they'd given up on hardware (customers, retail partners, suppliers). Hence the fire-sale.

Well, what do we have here? The fire sale put thousands of Touchpads into the hands of folks who otherwise wouldn't have bought them. And, hey Mikey, they like it!

So HP has this huge backlog of inventory, and a huge demand. Plus, they've got suppliers who've made parts that they need to figure out what to do with. Well, build more Touchpads! Liquidate not only finished devices, but build more out of these parts, and sell THEM at a loss!

In the meantime, the 7-inch Touchpad was never even manufactured, and now the suppliers who built THOSE parts would like to be payed, thank you very much. Well, cut your losses, or build the machines anyway so you could at least recoup SOME of your investment?

I'm an old fart, and I've seen good ideas come and go. I've never seen anything like this before. Nobody knows what Leo will do next. Nobody knows what the board will demand. I don't believe anyone's ever tried to fire-sale discontinued product and had it become enormously popular.

Either HP is playing a brilliant end-run, or so stupid that they're setting themselves up for insane success.

I've almost set aside my mourning for webOS in favor of making popcorn and seeing how this bizarre situation plays itself out.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Guy, one of the Q & As on HP's official Q & A FAQ is reproduced below. So, my question is this: Does it mean that those of us who were unable to sign up for the notification will not "receive a one-time exclusive offer along with their email"?
    A wondering mind wants to know.

Q: How does HP plan to address disappointed customers?

All those who requested notification have received a one-time exclusive offer along with their email as our thanks for their patience and loyalty throughout this situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by drfp View Post
    You're counting a $99 firesale and puffing your chest out that it's now the second biggest seller *facepalm* This is what I mean by being out of touch with reality. Do you think it'll be the second-biggest seller in a month? I guarantee you it won't be, and I'll give you one guess why ... (Hint: It has to do with the fact that it's a dead product line ...). If you think people bought these tablets because of webOS, you're fooling yourself.

And where did I say Windows 8 tablets would beat the iPad? I said it would beat webOS if webOS were still being produced on tablets. The fact that it's not makes it a pretty easy fight for Windows 8, no?
    Quote Originally Posted by jolsba View Post
    Guy, one of the Q & As on HP's official Q & A FAQ is reproduced below. So, my question is this: Does it mean that those of us who were unable to sign up for the notification will not "receive a one-time exclusive offer along with their email"?
    A wondering mind wants to know.

Q: How does HP plan to address disappointed customers?

All those who requested notification have received a one-time exclusive offer along with their email as our thanks for their patience and loyalty throughout this situation.
    They sent out unique coupon codes for 25% off "all printers, ink, HP accessories, and PCs starting at or above $599" to everyone* on the notification list.

*Some people have reported not getting them, but mine took a bit longer than some other ones, so they could still be coming.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your interest in the HP TouchPad and webOS. The overwhelming demand for this product in recent days has made it difficult to fulfill your request at the present time, and we are working to make more available as soon as possible. While we do not yet have specific details, we know it will be at least a few weeks before we have a limited quantity available again. We will keep you informed as we have more specifics that we can communicate, and we encourage you to join the conversation here for the latest information.

In light of this and other recent HP news, we want you to know that we remain committed to you. We will continue to honor our warranties now and in the future. We will continue delivering products that make a difference in your life and we will continue to provide the best possible service to you every day.

We are grateful for your patience and loyalty and to show our gratitude, we are offering you an exclusive one-time opportunity to save an additional amount on all of our products, valid through the end of the day tomorrow, Wednesday, August 31, 2011. You'll save 25% off all printers, ink, HP accessories, and PCs starting at or above $599. To take advantage of this offer, use your unique coupon code xxxxxxxxxx at checkout, and for more information on the details of this offer, please look at the bottom of this email.

Sincerely,

hpdirect.com

I guess the real answer to your question is, no, you are not eligible for this offer if you didn't sign up to be notified in time.

EDIT: This was merged from an answer to another thread, which is why it may seem out of place.
    Last edited by Exhnozoaa; 08/31/2011 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Added quote
    It's supposedly a limited run. Maybe they're just finishing off the last batch that was in the production line? Just a guess, I know nothing about these things.
    I would say yes, because they can't send you email if they don't have your email address, right?
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    You're counting a $99 firesale and puffing your chest out that it's now the second biggest seller *facepalm* This is what I mean by being out of touch with reality. Do you think it'll be the second-biggest seller in a month? I guarantee you it won't be, and I'll give you one guess why ... (Hint: It has to do with the fact that it's a dead product line ...).
    That is why HP has to move fast and catch the momentum of the market with a 4-pronged approach:

1) keep app alives with new apps, app updates, also stimulate sales w promo codes etc (check)
    2) keep OS alive with operating system updates (check)

3) seize momentum of existing demand to sell more tablets so as to grow user base (check)

4) announce plan ASAP for new hardware--whether it is from a licensed partner or PSG spinoff (and it may well be that Bradley's pronouncement was a negotiating ploy to licensed partners to step up, we'll have to wait and see).
    But it does seem that HP looked at the original sales numbers which were lower than they had hoped and they then revised forecasts for lower sales and higher costs (hardware, marketing etc) in order to catch public attention. The lower forecast prompted them to turn tail and run. But the lower price point has seized the public's attention onto webOS, thereby causing HP to make or exceed their original sales targets and thus opening up once again the possibility of a spun-off PSG making hardware for webOS (as well as licensing).

Carpe Diem. Seize the Day, HP!
    Quote Originally Posted by Danimal62 View Post
    He's probably trying to lower demand so he'll be able to get one for a good price.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    That is why HP has to move fast and catch the momentum of the market with a 4-pronged approach:

1) keep app alives with new apps, app updates, also stimulate sales w promo codes etc (check)
    2) keep OS alive with operating system updates (check)

3) seize momentum of existing demand to sell more tablets so as to grow user base (check)

4) announce plan ASAP for new hardware--whether it is from a licensed partner or PSG spinoff (and it may well be that Bradley's pronouncement was a negotiating ploy to licensed partners to step up, we'll have to wait and see).
    But it does seem that HP looked at the original sales numbers which were lower than they had hoped and they then revised forecasts for lower sales and higher costs (hardware, marketing etc) in order to catch public attention. The lower forecast prompted them to turn tail and run. But the lower price point has seized the public's attention onto webOS, thereby causing HP to make or exceed their original sales targets and thus opening up once again the possibility of a spun-off PSG making hardware for webOS (as well as licensing).

Carpe Diem. Seize the Day, HP!
    I appreciate the enthusiasm, BlueNote, but as much as I hate to admit it, this former webOS booster is increasingly seeing the writing on the wall.

The fact of the matter is, spinning off PSG (sorta) was a capricious move by an unstable CEO. I hadn't remembered that Palm was the company that bought and then buried BeOS, but that's what we're seeing here. Again.

Except the webOS brand has been irreparably damaged. It's now a punch-line. Like Kronos' children, all good Palm tech seems to be devoured by whoever picks up the next iteration.

The only consolation I take is in the long view - how many times has Palm been eaten, only to re-emerge? This may be the final gulp, though.
    I just hope that webos doesn't go down in history as being another one of those proprietary OS, of wich the proprietor won't release the source code for unknown reasons. I hope possibly that if hp ends up not using webos that they will release the source code for community developers. I think it would be a great os for tablets and netbooks. Maybe even getting a debian package manager. Hopefully webos doesn't end up becoming like HPUX, something Hp offers as proprietary, closed and not developed by the community to make it better. Sad to say as much as I enjoyed my pre, virgin had a better deal than sprint for unlimted data: $25 mo. Lg optimus does more than the pre on android, no flash though, o'well. Might not have switched if that pre3 had ever come out for sprint.
    I realy enjoyed webos before Hp, time to move on.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast