Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes
  1.    #1  
    HP update to boost TouchPad 'functionality' | Nanotech - The Circuits Blog - CNET News

"We expect that HP TouchPad owners can look forward to an over-the-air update that will enhance the platform and add functionality and a growing applications catalog," an HP spokesperson told CNET today in response to an e-mail query. HP would not elaborate on what those enhancements would be."

Sounds good to me...but I'll believe it when I see it. I really hate to be skeptical since HP/Palm have been great so far with all the free apps and all (even if I really don't use any of them). But with the state of webOS up the air, I think we should all take this with a grain of salt.
    TheDZEdge likes this.
    I'm still fairly happy so far with mine, and will gladly take more. I sure won't hold my breath on it, but nice to know they are thinking happy thoughts for us, if nothing else
    People were skeptical of the first ota update and whadayaknow, it happened. I don't see why the next one suddenly won't.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    How will this update affect those who installed preware and those patches?
    The never ending psychotic relationship with webOS
    Quote Originally Posted by rstyle17 View Post
    How will this update affect those who installed preware and those patches?
    for the most part, it shouldn't affect you. There were several reports of people updating to 3.0.2 with patches installed,with no effects. WebOS Internals advises waiting 24 hours, just in case. If you don't want to wait or take risks, simply remove the patches, and update.
    Global Posts
    725 Global Posts
    I left my patches in going to 3.0.2 and upon arrival to the updated system, they no longer functioned, which is to be expected. THat which was patched was overwritten. I uninstalled the patches (anyway) and then reinstalled the updated ones.

I would recommend uninstalling all your patches before updating.
    Jim Altman
    Palm III ->Treos 600->650->750->Pro->Pre Plus->Pre 2->Pre3+TouchPad
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    I really like updates, like really.
    PrinceAlbert likes this.
    Why is anyone surprised over another update? They've stated multiple times their commitment to the platform. I anxiously await mine.
    Premium1 and FenrirWolf like this.
    They really need to bite the bullet and remove some of the proprietary restrictions on the TP such as being able to hook any phone up to via bluetooth or print to other wireless printers besides HP. It made sense when they were talking about creating a webOS ecosystem but that is not the situation anymore. I'm not sure if this can be done via a software update. I know TTS is not a possibility because that involves hardware.
    allow printing to other printers and sms texting with non webOS phones would be sweet!
    BMIC50, khe05, paulbee and 1 others like this.
    i cant remember where i read this but i thought i heard that the software for connecting other phones was left open so if say apple or android devs wanted to add that functionality to there software they could but what are the odds that will happen...
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsetter883 View Post
    Why is anyone surprised over another update? They've stated multiple times their commitment to the platform. I anxiously await mine.
    Palm/HP has had a history of saying something and not delivering. Just a few that comes to my mind...
    • Cobalt
    • Flash on Pre-
    • Doubling Down on WebOS (one year hardly constitutes the lip service they gave us)

So while some of us have not-so-fond memories of what they said and what they delivered, I will still be glad to receive whatever they give. I hope it enhances the browser to be more standards-compliant and faster, as well as fix the calendar syncing issues, sound muting issue, and the speaker cracking issue !
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    Quote Originally Posted by nlibby View Post
    i cant remember where i read this but i thought i heard that the software for connecting other phones was left open so if say apple or android devs wanted to add that functionality to there software they could but what are the odds that will happen...
    I would like to know more about how this could work. What bluetooth profile does it use? Seems like there will very soon (like now) be a lot of TP owners who own either Android or iPhones, and can't even buy an webOS phone without switching to ATT to get a Veer. This seems like a no-brainer app for both OSs.
    Sprint Treos 300->600->650->700p
    Sprint Pre
    Virgin Optimus V
    ATT Galaxy Skyrocket (current)
    Furthermore, it would seem like an android app that did 3 things for the TP would be very useful:

1.) Phone pairing
    2.) Bluetooth DUN
    3.) Bluetooth GPS

Maybe even an app to use your phone as a bluetooth keyboard (for phones with physical keyboards).

Someone making an app to interface these functions to the TP from an Android phone would get my money.
    Sprint Treos 300->600->650->700p
    Sprint Pre
    Virgin Optimus V
    ATT Galaxy Skyrocket (current)
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    The never ending psychotic relationship with webOS
    Finally people feel our pain! Such a relief!
    Conne>< Coding

Remember!!
    *In Rod we trust.*

Yes, my user name says kid. Also, yes I'm 21. It's a long story.

Devices: Touchpad, 32 GB
    Retired my pre for an Epic 4G Touch, Miss it dearly howerver.

Quote Originally Posted by FenrirWolf View Post
    People were skeptical of the first ota update and whadayaknow, it happened. I don't see why the next one suddenly won't.
    Skeptical? At that point it was still very much a live product, and they even said before the TP came out that there would be an update to correct the early reviewers issues. The difference now is that it's essentially been killed off... until todays most recent news that is.
    Anyone think that they might pull a RIM and open up the TouchPad to the Android app market...I think its just wishful thinking on my part.
    HP needs to fix webOS from the ground up and recode the CSS for GPU acceleration.

webOS is 2 years old now, its about time. Finish the job!

Although IF we see 100% GPU acceleration, it will be in webOS 4.0, if we ever get to that point, as this would have to be a complete rewrite of the UI from the ground up and a new SDK for developers.

Sigh, CSS, why you such a PITA??
    Quote Originally Posted by kain2thebrain View Post
    Anyone think that they might pull a RIM and open up the TouchPad to the Android app market...I think its just wishful thinking on my part.
    Forget Android, they should first fix the way mojo apps work.

I am a programmer for web languages and the way they implemented Mojo apps was completely necessary and half arsed.

Rather than a useless tiny emulator, they should have pixel zoomed the app to fit as well as create a black virtual gesture area in the bottom 10% of the screen.

Then devs could rescale their mojo apps if they wish, or leave them to be pixelated if they didnt want.

Not leave nearly 6000 apps completely useless on the tablet in a tiny pathetic window.
    TheDZEdge likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast