Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    i own a restaurant in fort worth Texas that provides free wifi, I used to see I pads all the time. This past week I saw three touchpads and one android tablet. By far I see color nooks more than any other tablet. All the touchpad people seem to really be enjoying their new toys.
    mc_gusto likes this.
    I carry my 4G LTE 32 GB Touch Pad with me everywhere I go.
    I just back from a short trip to Florida and paid close attention to tablet users. Only saw one other tablet (which surprised me) and it wad an IPad.

ET
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    I work for a company that actually sold them, and all my fellow employees had one. Saw about 8 people walking around office with one in hand today, didn't make it that special anymore.
    I work for a company that actually sold them, and all my fellow employees had one. Saw about 8 people walking around office with one in hand today, didn't make it that special anymore.
    See, this explains why it's so hard to find TouchPads. The employees at the stores that sold them get first dibs, leaving little to nothing for us 'regular' folks (high fiber diet makes all the difference).

It's funny though, it seemed like the employees steered people away from the TouchPad when it came out, yet after the fire sale they gobbled up a good chunk of the supply. I wonder what the percentage of retailer employees have touchpads as compared to the general population?

I don't mean to be negative, and I'm glad folks that wanted them got them, but I sure would like to have a better chance to pick one up myself.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

I am sitting in the lounge at Purdue University between classes and I am within 10 feet of 3 ipads. One Asus transformer and a whole bunch of laptops lol.

I have seen one other touchpad but he got ripped off on ebay and knew nothing about the firesale until I told him... Lets just say that he wasn't too happy but on the other hand he loved the touchpad and I told him about preware and gave him my number for help in case he needed it.

I am honestly surprised I haven't seen any more TP's in here yet...
    I bring mine to work every couple of days. Yesterday, I demo'ed the Xserver/Xterm app from the Preware testing feeds to one of the veteran sys admins. He smiled.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    I think for a tablet it's not something you really carry around in your hand while your out and about! You more likely to see them in sitting enviorment. I have not received my TP yet but do have a galaxy tab that I carry in my bag and don't openly carry it!
    Quote Originally Posted by fguills75 View Post
    I think for a tablet it's not something you really carry around in your hand while your out and about! You more likely to see them in sitting enviorment. I have not received my TP yet but do have a galaxy tab that I carry in my bag and don't openly carry it!
    I would agree, when I bring my TP to work, it is in a generic netbook bag with the TP plug and the HP keyboard. It may sit out on my desk off and on, and I may carry it out to the bigger open areas of my building on a break, but for the most part it is on my desk.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    About a month ago, my wife and I were hiking up a short trail to the top of Mount Mitchell in North Carolina, near the Blue Ridge Parkway. Little side note, it is the highest point east of the Mississippi River at 6,684 feet above mean sea level.

We were walking behind this fellow who was taking photos with his iPad. He spent much of the short hike looking at the screen, holding it in front of his face. So, even though I think it's NOT a feature to have a rear facing camera on a TouchPad, clearly there is at least one guy who needs this feature.

Oh, and I'm sure his arms appreciated having a couple ounces less weight to have to suspend in front of his face. Of course, at that elevation, the gravitational pull is lessened a bit, so the TouchPad might have been feasible to hold...for a few seconds... (Yeah, I'm being sarcastic, let's just pump up our biceps a little more and stop complaining )

Regardless, it was a bit weird to see someone use a tablet in that way. I took a photo of him taking photos using my Pre...but it didn't really turn out, can't hardly see the iPad. I didn't want to anger him by getting a picture close up and having to explain I found his actions humorous. Besides, it was our 25th wedding anniversary celebration trip (away from kids and home) and my wife is much more distracting to me than some guy looking at the world through a 9.7 inch screen.

That reminds me...I think I'll call my wife!
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

no, but A LOT more people know what it is now... Sitting in class yesterday with Quickoffice open, someone asked how I managed to get one. "walked right into the store on July 1st and paid top dollar (only to get refunded a month later)" :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by cachorropedorro View Post
    I saw two people eating with their Touchpads at The Cheesecake Factory this Sunday.
    Do you by any chance live in Houston? lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    About a month ago, my wife and I were hiking up a short trail to the top of Mount Mitchell in North Carolina, near the Blue Ridge Parkway. Little side note, it is the highest point east of the Mississippi River at 6,684 feet above mean sea level.

We were walking behind this fellow who was taking photos with his iPad. He spent much of the short hike looking at the screen, holding it in front of his face. So, even though I think it's NOT a feature to have a rear facing camera on a TouchPad, clearly there is at least one guy who needs this feature.

Oh, and I'm sure his arms appreciated having a couple ounces less weight to have to suspend in front of his face. Of course, at that elevation, the gravitational pull is lessened a bit, so the TouchPad might have been feasible to hold...for a few seconds... (Yeah, I'm being sarcastic, let's just pump up our biceps a little more and stop complaining )

Regardless, it was a bit weird to see someone use a tablet in that way. I took a photo of him taking photos using my Pre...but it didn't really turn out, can't hardly see the iPad. I didn't want to anger him by getting a picture close up and having to explain I found his actions humorous. Besides, it was our 25th wedding anniversary celebration trip (away from kids and home) and my wife is much more distracting to me than some guy looking at the world through a 9.7 inch screen.

That reminds me...I think I'll call my wife!

I take my 3G iPad with me all the time hiking. I put it in my back pack and take it out occasionally. It has a very good gps with a large built antenna and great battery life. I use a topo map program (gaia gps) and download the area i'm going to hike. If the trail is not on the map i'll search around for a GPX file of it and import it. I also record my hike and get all the stats. I might seem really crazy but this is the future of maps. (I also always carry paper map for a back up) Ill never go back to just using paper maps alone.
    I went hiking this week-end to observe the grey crested owls, but to my surprise me & my fellow hiker witnessed a iPad getting courted by a Touchpad.

The iPad appeared a little confused at first but the TP's persistence payed off in the end after a very revealing app dance which clearly impressed the iPad.
    The TP was pretty good at the ForeSquare & the iPad had a very pleasant Tweet, the TP was "prewared" for the encounter & they disappeared into the brush so we didn't actually see the mating ritual but I hear the Bluetooth pairings are quite beautiful to watch.
    We will come back to the same spot in a few months to see if we have a couple of new hybrids? Perhaps we will witness the first iPad to play flash natively or maybe a TP running iOS.
    We will go looking for the mysterious TouchDroid in the coming weeks, they maybe scarce now but I here private well intentioned individuals have begun a breeding program to help populate the species ...
    Rockbeast likes this.
    I've seen quite a few in Houston. I also know several people that have one. My colleague sold his iPad to his brother and kept his Touchpad.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerwuedo5 View Post
    Tell me what's worse: seeing a Best Buy employee enjoying one OR being a Best Buy customer service rep and seeing people return them! Multiple people didn't even want to refund the difference, they just wanted their money back out of indignation or something. I have tried to convince multiple people to keep theirs!

On top of everything, all the Touchpads we get back can't be resold. They get sent off to a service center automatically in our system where they no doubt get scooped up by someone in that process or just tossed in a bin of obscurity somewhere...so sad!
    This is actually how I got my first pad. I was at best buy the weekend of the firesale checking shipments, and some lady came in to exchange hers for an ipad2. I followed her around the store like a puppy dog, all the way until she returned it. I stood in line with her at the customer service booth. People thought I was crazy. At first they were going to just ship it back like you said, but I literally caused a fit. I got a manager over there and begged him to return it as BNIB even though it wasn't. He finally obliged, and they refunded the lady back her $499, and turned around and sold it to me for $99.

Best day I had in awhile...
    I haven't really seen any tablets out and about. I know one lady I work with carries her iPad around, but I've only seen it once. My TouchPad just sits on my desk. I originally wanted a tablet to type up progress notes on. I've found that I spend more time playing games on it than actually working, and that it's actually more cumbersome to do any lengthy typing on it compared to typing on my cell phone (Droid 1).
    I just got off the phone with newegg a few hours ago to complete my order for another 16GB touchpad. They contacted a certain amount of people (by email) that signed up for auto-notify a couple weeks ago. The guy said it should arrive tomorrow...but then again I live about 5 miles away from their main warehouse.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12