Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rickybaby
  1.    #1  
    So I've greatly improved the speed of my new TouchPad with Preware patches alone. I'm completely content with the speed, but I guess if it can be overclocked why not? I'm a newb though, can overclocking overheat/mess up my hardware?

Thanks!
    From a long time overclocker in the PC arena the risks are minimal if you are reasonable. First is stability. If you push too far you will get random crashes of apps. Lesson: learn the limits. Second is heat buildup: the faster you go the more heat you generate. If you bump up the processor voltage you can go even faster and generate even more heat. Since tablets are sealed devices with no external fans this could be a problem. See first, be reasonable. There is another argument which I don't buy and never have. Running your processor outside its rated limits will reduce the lifetime of your device. OK, instead of lasting 10 years it will only last 8. Realistically do you think you will still be running this device in 8 years? When processors are 200 times faster? I don't buy it. Overclock like mad !!!

Oh there is one other effect and that is using the charge in the battery up faster. I have heard that this is not a big problem when overclocking the touchpad because the processor ramps down to a power saver mode as soon as it has nothing to do. Which under normal usage is most of the time.
    fxspec06 likes this.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    overclock is easy to do any makes computer zippy. 1.5ghz is not even a sweat for the Touchpad. BAttery life seems good still with on-demand setting.
    well anything under 2.0ghz should be fine I heard there is a 2.2 in the works might not be stable, 1.7 sure is.

Second the reason webos lags it's mainly software related to webos, it's just not optimized for the hardware. I mean 1.2 dual core with a gig of ram and it lags that's definite software. Hopefully HP will update and tweak but I don't know why they would
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for all the helpful replies. For now I'll let it be I think. Maybe I'll go ahead with it in the future but for now I guess I'm fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by mk.ultra View Post
    Thanks for all the helpful replies. For now I'll let it be I think. Maybe I'll go ahead with it in the future but for now I guess I'm fine.
    i think that's the best decision. since you said you are content in your OP, then you shouldn't. As the saying goes: if it ain't broke don't fix it. I often endup having to do troubleshooting cause I'm trying to make my computer "better."

If you do feel like OC'ing, go with the kernels in the regular feed, not the testing feed. The ones in the regular feed have zero problems, literally.
    Does anyone know if UberKernel will be update to handle 1.7 ? I am currently using the 1.5 kernel and very pleased.
    Everyone should just overclock to 1.5GHz. That's what the 3G+WiFi version was running, so it shouldn't be a risky tweak at all.
    HP Touchpad 16GB
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    So I've greatly improved the speed of my new TouchPad with Preware patches alone. I'm completely content with the speed, but I guess if it can be overclocked why not? I'm a newb though, can overclocking overheat/mess up my hardware?

Thanks!
    Here is what Rod of webOS Internals said in a different thread:

rwhitby
    Developer

Location: Adelaide, Australia - follow @webosinternals on Twitter visit Main Page - WebOS Internals and Webos Internals | Facebook
    Thanked 7,823 Times in 2,504 Posts

Stability and random reboot reports happen in the experimental kernel threads and the support email address which lands in my inbox. It's also part of our development process - we push the boundaries to the limit in the testing feeds and release what has no problems in the stable feed. Since I'm in charge of that decision point, you may assume I'm using all the information available to me, not just four benchmark performance results.

-- Rod
    ----------------------------

So, according to Rod (and what I have experienced), "we push the boundaries to the limit in the testing feeds and release what has no problems in the stable feed."

If you are concerned or feel new to the process, stick to the stable uberkernel at 1.5GHz. That is what I did.
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    I'd say leave it where it's at right now, especially if you're happy with it. Then in a few months after you're used to how your touchpad works, then overclock it. Voila, everything feels new and fast again. Win.
    1.5GHz should be safe since that's in the manufacturer's specification.

Snapdragon MSM8x60 / APQ8060 Product Brief (PDF)
    Quote Originally Posted by SandraW View Post
    How big of a difference will I see by overclocking conservatively to 1.5GHz only?
    Technically, it's only a 25% increase from the stock 1.2GHz, right?

I have already added all the Preware patches that most people have installed on
    their Touchpads. My Touchpad definitely felt more responsive after all the patches
    were applied. However, that feeling lasted less than half a day... (perhaps I just
    got used to it )

Why do I have a feeling that the Touchpad's performance isn't being limited by
    the hardware(processor speed, memory, etc)? I suspect most of the "slowness"
    are caused by the WebOS software... or am I wrong?
    I can't you the performance difference, but overclocking does make the TP more snappy and cards do open up fairly quickly. Again, I tweaked it the minute I turned on the TP.
    HP Touchpad 16GB
    That would be a shame I think. I've only spent about 5 minutes using a TP so I can't comment on its performance, but I can comment on my experience with the Pre Plus.

I was pretty content with the Pre Plus and didn't bother overclocking for the first couple of months. The thing is, I just didn't realise how much lag there was (first smartphone, nothing else to compare to) but when I started overclocking I was amazed by the difference! Well worth doing.

I've always been conservative as it's my main phone and I don't fancy the (minimal) risk of having to replace. Stick with Uberkernel and you won't have any problems
    This is the warning for the testing feeds. Unless you are looking to be adventurous stick with uberkernel.

"Also see http://forums.precentral.net/2532084-post3.html for further warnings up to and including your device wiping itself, (literally) melting, and/or eating your kitten.

If you do not want a puddle of molten plastic and silicon where your Pre/Pixi(or touchpad in this case) once was, DO NOT CONTINUE.

You have been warned. "

Never fails to make me giggle.
    Conne>< Coding

Remember!!
    *In Rod we trust.*

Yes, my user name says kid. Also, yes I'm 21. It's a long story.

Devices: Touchpad, 32 GB
    Retired my pre for an Epic 4G Touch, Miss it dearly howerver.