1.    #1  
    Newegg never bought in! Of all the vendors in the world I just found that one unbelievable. Secondly, I had called my local rural Staples around 10:00 AM on Saturday the 20th after reading on the slickdeals site that Staples managers were authorized to sell them at the fire sale rate. As expected, the person I spoke with didn't have a clue about the situation but I requested she look into it and give me a call. Within five minutes she called me back and informed me they had a 32GB and they would sell it at $149.99 (Surprise #2) and hold it until 5:00 PM. As I pulled into the lot my son told me his store was sold out. Turned out they had two and I purchased both.
    At first, I was mad that Amazon did not fully participate(besides the Lightning Deal), but then I realised that they are trying to launch their $299 Andoid tablet this quarter and had a vested interest in keeping the appearance of Tablets prices in the $400 range.
    Considering the people that run Newegg, I'm not actually that surprised that they skipped this. Compare the benefit of selling a bunch of $99 tablets versus the work involved on the back end, the site issues and the huge risk of angry/impatient customer reviews if you don't get it perfectly.

I'd almost say they made a smart decision staying out of it given the cost vs. gain.
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zappcatt View Post
    At first, I was mad that Amazon did not fully participate(besides the Lightning Deal), but then I realised that they are trying to launch their $299 Andoid tablet this quarter and had a vested interest in keeping the appearance of Tablets prices in the $400 range.
    Amazon did participate outside of the lightning deal, they j ust never marked it down on the page but I ordered mine before the lightning deal @ $399 and simply chatted them on their website and they fixed it. Also forgot to add a 20% off coupon code so chatted them back and they added it on making it $80 lulz! I was pumped.