1.    #1  
    I'm happy with my TouchPad at home, but I'm having a problem that renders it almost useless for work. I can't access any of my university's electronic resources, or join their network. In order to do almost anything to do with the university's computers, we have to authenticate by visiting https://netbadge.virginia.edu and logging on with either a username and password or a digital certificate. This is necessary not only to join the network but also to access course sites, library resources, etc. Trouble is, the TouchPad can't do it.

Whenever I try to visit the page, the progress bar loads for just a second and then I get the "Error: Unable to Load Page" box. This always happens, whether I try to navigate to the page directly or get redirected from somewhere else.

At the advice of an HP rep, I installed my personal digital certificate on the TouchPad, but it made no difference. The campus IT center won't support WebOS devices; they gave me some general advice, but it didn't help.

Everyone I talk to suggests it may be a "compatibility issue," but I can't figure out what the problem would be. I looked at the source on the Netbadge page and it doesn't look like anything too unusual. I don't know why it would give the TouhPad trouble. But the page works perfectly on my PC and my iPhone.

First, would someone else check the address above and verify that you can't pull it up on the TouchPad either? I don't even know where to begin troubleshooting this, and I'd appreciate any suggestions, as it's really cutting into the usefulness of my device.

As a final favor, could someone check it in Advanced Browser for me? I'd happily pay to get this working, but I'm afraid it won't help and I don't want to shell out the $3 if that's the case.

Thanks for your help!
    send a PM to HardbeatZ
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paulbee View Post
    I'm happy with my TouchPad at home, but I'm having a problem that renders it almost useless for work. I can't access any of my university's electronic resources, or join their network. In order to do almost anything to do with the university's computers, we have to authenticate by visiting https://netbadge.virginia.edu and logging on with either a username and password or a digital certificate. This is necessary not only to join the network but also to access course sites, library resources, etc. Trouble is, the TouchPad can't do it.

Whenever I try to visit the page, the progress bar loads for just a second and then I get the "Error: Unable to Load Page" box. This always happens, whether I try to navigate to the page directly or get redirected from somewhere else.

At the advice of an HP rep, I installed my personal digital certificate on the TouchPad, but it made no difference. The campus IT center won't support WebOS devices; they gave me some general advice, but it didn't help.

Everyone I talk to suggests it may be a "compatibility issue," but I can't figure out what the problem would be. I looked at the source on the Netbadge page and it doesn't look like anything too unusual. I don't know why it would give the TouhPad trouble. But the page works perfectly on my PC and my iPhone.

First, would someone else check the address above and verify that you can't pull it up on the TouchPad either? I don't even know where to begin troubleshooting this, and I'd appreciate any suggestions, as it's really cutting into the usefulness of my device.

As a final favor, could someone check it in Advanced Browser for me? I'd happily pay to get this working, but I'm afraid it won't help and I don't want to shell out the $3 if that's the case.

Thanks for your help!
    Well I think Advanced Browser is based on the OS browser it seems to have the same problems but it works better

Couple of questions

Did you update the OS? You have to

I have a site I have trouble loading due to the Adds so I have to

hit refresh a few times then it works

I would go to the IT people on campus and see if they can help as well.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by drfp View Post
    Did you update the OS? You have to
    Yes, running 3.0.2.

I have a site I have trouble loading due to the Adds so I have to

hit refresh a few times then it works
    I've tried refreshing repeatedly, no dice. It just seems to die as soon as it hits that page

I would go to the IT people on campus and see if they can help as well.
    The person I spoke with gave some suggestions but said they didn't support WebOS and are unlikely to in future. I might try again, but I'm not particularly hopeful.
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    You need to find out what kind of site it is
    Linux
    Flash
    M$
    Unix

the log in should not be a problem

DO you have all the cookies and all the other things like pop ups allowed
    I would have it all allowed
    It looks like it's using VPN to access your certificate but it is only setup for windows and macos. They don't seem to be supporting Linux. Since WebOS is based on linux, I doubt it'll work until they make some changes.

Since this seems to be something they are rolling out at U of Virgina, it's hard to say if anyone else will be able to help. I would say that they have to want it to work on the TouchPad and develop for it. There may be something an IT guy can tell you more.

It does seem that installing the cert would help, but you need the page to get into the site. I remember there was an iPhone emulator patch at one time. Maybe this type of thing would work. Make it look like you're on an iPhone so the site will dish up the right page...
    IIIXE>Clie:N710C>N760C>NX60>Treo[600>650>700]>Centro>Pre+>Pre2&Touchpad 32GB
    webOS Themes: star-trek-universe star-trek-future Future Trek for Tpad

My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by e-gadget-guy View Post
    It looks like it's using VPN to access your certificate but it is only setup for windows and macos. They don't seem to be supporting Linux. Since WebOS is based on linux, I doubt it'll work until they make some changes.
    Thanks for the thoughts. I'll break out a LiveCD tomorrow and see how it does with non-mobile Linux. (But it's hard to believe a university network really wouldn't support Linux, right?)

I might need to clarify one thing about how the site works, though. You CAN log in with a certificate, but you don't have to. You can alternatively use a username and password; blanks are on the page I link to.

And the thing that's really troubling me is that I can't even access that page. I could understand not being able to use the certificate, but you have to press a button on that page to say you want to use a certificate, or you can choose to enter a username and password instead. Are you saying the VPN comes into play when you try to access the landing page itself? If so, where are you getting that? (Not because I don't believe you, but so I'll know how to find that.)

Since this seems to be something they are rolling out at U of Virgina, it's hard to say if anyone else will be able to help. I would say that they have to want it to work on the TouchPad and develop for it. There may be something an IT guy can tell you more.
    Yeah, I'm afraid that might be the case. But since IT wasn't very forthcoming I figured I'd give it a try and see if someone around here had a thought.

It does seem that installing the cert would help, but you need the page to get into the site. I remember there was an iPhone emulator patch at one time. Maybe this type of thing would work. Make it look like you're on an iPhone so the site will dish up the right page...
    Would changing the user agent string do the trick? I forgot to try this while I was messing around with the iPad user agent the other day. I should give it a go. Or will this require something more complicated?
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by e-gadget-guy View Post
    Okay, I decided to check this out in Linux, so I installed Ubuntu on my PC. I was able to access the page without complication. Linux isn't the problem.

I tried setting my user agent to look like an iPad and it didn't help.

This seems to be something specific to the TouchPad...