Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By laum1
  • 1 Post By laum1
  • 1 Post By dhkeller
  1.    #1  
    Is there was way to put a PW on an app? I like to be able to share my Touchpad. But I don't want someone to be able to access my emails.

If not, any other recommendations or possible solution?
    toddreg likes this.
    Interesting question. I've not had my Touchpad long but I've already resigned myself to not setting up SMS, email, contacts and calendar syncing on there as I want it to be used as a sofa browser, and that's a shame to miss out on the big screen for those things. I don't know of any way to password protect an app but maybe there's some other ideas people have out there?
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    This is the first thing I noticed as I have the same situation. People like to play with it but I don't want to get any work emails screwed up or deleted by accident. Security seems to be lacking in this regard.
    I've actually talked to someone at HP webos about this issue. Person put me on hold for like 10 minutes and said that feature is not available. I'm little paranoid so I didnt want free access to my email if I happened to lose the TP. Anyways, I'm hoping they'll do something about this.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for all the replies. I was on Google for an hour before finally posting question here. Would think there is a simple solution, but I guess not.

I love the email app. Hate to have to turn it off.
    Global Posts
    435 Global Posts
    Not that I expect HP to do anything ... And not that I can do anything myself ... But how would we like such a feature to work?

I would say:
    If there's a card already open, it stays accessible.
    You still see notifications from secured apps.
    To launch an app, from the launcher or a notification or another app, you must enter the password.
    To designate an app to be secured, there's some new Settings app, similar to Accounts, where you toggle it on. I suppose this app has to be secure too, if any other apps are. Not just Email and Messaging, but any app.
    A frequent request is to secure certain photo albums. It'd be convenient if the same settings app could be used to designate such albums.
    Maybe we should be able to designate certain accounts as secure while others are open ... although I don't see a compelling use case yet.

What else?
  7.    #7  
    How about a simple solution like one of the pages being secured. So if I drag an app onto that page, it would require a PW in order to get on that page. This will mitigate having to enter multiple PW for different apps.

Of course, I do not know WebOS. So I am not sure how easy it is for someone to hack into that page or circumvent it completely.
    toddreg likes this.
    Global Posts
    435 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laum1 View Post
    How about a simple solution like one of the pages being secured. So if I drag an app onto that page, it would require a PW in order to get on that page. This will mitigate having to enter multiple PW for different apps.
    Yes, that was my first thought, but then I wanted to include the ability to mark certain photo albums, and that didn't seem feasible from the launcher. It would meet your original need though.
    How feasible would it be to access SMS, calendar, etc. from or associated with a WebOS phone that is linked to the Touchpad, i.e. only when it is connected? I know that wouldn't necessarily work with other apps like photo albums (or maybe it could?) but for data controlled by one of the accounts that are set up on the device, it could either read the data from the phone or if that's not technically possible then the accounts would be set up on both devices and the phone could act as a key to allow access on the Touchpad.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Can't you just turn on the password lock? That would prevent unauthorized use of anything on the tablet.
    Quote Originally Posted by MincerRay View Post
    Can't you just turn on the password lock? That would prevent unauthorized use of anything on the tablet.
    For me it's more about having something I can let visitors use for web browsing (and showing off to them ) without the chance of them accidentally getting to my emails, texts, diary, etc.
    They should have a "Guest" account like on Windows.
    A real feature like this would be nice.

In the meantime, there are a few (admittedly cumbersome) things you can do to limit the trouble with email:

- Turn the "Get Email" option under Account Settings - Sync criteria to "manual" (avoids tempting pop-ups).

- Make sure the "Delete Confirmation" setting under Email Preferences is set to "ON" (no accidental slides)

As an extreme precaution, you could turn-off email for any sensitive accounts through the main Accounts App on the Launcher's Settings tab. Select the account from the Synergy list and turn it "OFF" for email. Account stays on the TP, and syncs pretty fast when you turn it back on (although some special email account preferences may have to be reset).

I know these are crazy to do each time, but these are options for now.
    noseph likes this.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laum1 View Post

Of course, I do not know WebOS. So I am not sure how easy it is for someone to hack into that page or circumvent it completely.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1