View Poll Results: Will you keep webOS or switch to Android when available for the TP?

Voters
475. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep webOS

319 67.16%
  • Dumping webOS in a heartbeat. Android!

64 13.47%
  • Undecided

92 19.37%
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes
  1.    #1  
    When a stable version of Android for the TP is available, will you keep webOS or switch to Android?

For the purpose of this survey, that's say that you do not own multiple tablets. I only have an iPod Touch and the TouchPad. I do not own anything else. No smartphones, etc...
    Hard to say.... I already bought a lot of apps for webOS, believe it or not.
    Depends on the version of Android - not interested in Gingerbread (2.2/2.3) as this is designed for phones, but a fully working version of Honeycomb or Ice Cream Sandwich, both of which are designed for tablets, yeah I'd definitely consider that. Unfortunately the poll doesn't cover this answer.
    cocochannel likes this.
  4. H_D
    Global Posts
    2,595 Global Posts
    If I had to choose, I would stick with webOS but if the dual-boot OS process is implemented http://forums.precentral.net/other-t...-touchpad.html we will have the option to choose which OS to load upon boot. Looking forward to that! Especially for some sort of NetFlix support....
    Last edited by Ya Boi D; 08/29/2011 at 01:17 PM.
    Follow Me On Twitter: www.twitter.com/YaBoiD
    Biggnaa20 likes this.
    trying to get $99 tp so that if this happens I can install it on it. otherwise keeping webOS.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    webOS was the reason I picked the touchpad. I bought it on launch day so its not like I bought it because it was cheap.

That being said, Android will never find its way onto my device. Ever.
    Well, it depends on what HP does in the upcoming weeks and months. If they bail on webOS, not only will that make me and thousands of others go elsewhere, but that destroys their plan to either shop webOS around for a buyer or present it to the industry for licensing.

Their #1 concern right now should be to repair the brand.
    If there was an easy way to dual-boot Android 3.x and webOS, and the installation is straightforward (Preware??) I might put Android on it just to mess around with it. Maybe to use apps that don't exist on webOS... if they're free. I don't think I'd buy anything for Android until the point where there is official confirmation that webOS will no longer be pursued in any way, shape or form. Android is cool and all, but it's the very ***** to use, at least 2.x is (I haven't really used 3.x so far). I just care about interface too much. Still, if the installation is painless, I'd do it just for kicks.

If installing Android on my TouchPad meant that I'd have to get rid of webOS, hell no.
    Quote Originally Posted by jblather View Post
    Well, it depends on what HP does in the upcoming weeks and months. If they bail on webOS, not only will that make me and thousands of others go elsewhere, but that destroys their plan to either shop webOS around for a buyer or present it to the industry for licensing.

Their #1 concern right now should be to repair the brand.
    I agree and therefor expect to see a lopsided pool results.
    i like the idea of a dual boot. i love webos, but can see some advantages to also having
    android as an alternative
    A dual boot facility would increase the likelihood of Android 3.x experimentation, at least it would for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by NealJ777 View Post
    When a stable version of Android for the TP is available, will you keep webOS or switch to Android?

For the purpose of this survey, that's say that you do not own multiple tablets. I only have an iPod Touch and the TouchPad. I do not own anything else. No smartphones, etc...
    No voting option for dual booting both OS?
    I might dual boot, but I have to admit that webOS has really grown on me. What I would love really, is a dalvik vm so I am install and run native apps inside a card.. That would be the best of both worlds.
    Poll should be changed to...

What OS plans do you have for your Touchpad:
    * Happy with WebOS alone
    * Would be interested in Android 3.x (Honeycomb) AND Dual booting with webOS
    * Would be interested in Android 2.x (Gingerbread) AND Dual booting with webOS
    * Dumping webOS for Android 3.x (Honeycomb) in a heartbeat
    * Dumping webOS for Android 2.x (Gingerbread) in a heartbeat
    * Undecided
    GodShapedHole likes this.
    I bought mine during the UK firesale with the gamble that someone would get android running on it.

however since then I have really liked what I am seeing with webOS (once I turned off the logging slowing it down). Its easy to get to grips with and is very intuitive.
    It really is a shame that HP are no longer pushing this.

but, I'm still going to be putting android on the second it becomes available and the reason for this is apps, apps, apps.
    there are not enough apps available now, most developers will see no sense in sticking with it, and I would not have a clue about making my own. Because of this its a no brainer for me.
    I mean in the UK we don't even have the kindle app!!
    In a perfect world, I would skin Android to have the proper multitasking it needs by having it mimic webOS. But unless there is some future with webOS by HP either licensing it to a good vendor or by gving it to webOS Internalz, then I will switch to Android.
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    Quote Originally Posted by milhouse View Post
    A dual boot facility would increase the likelihood of Android 3.x experimentation, at least it would for me.
    lol, nothing wrong with a little experimentation.
    lschroeder1947 likes this.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by milhouse View Post
    Depends on the version of Android - not interested in Gingerbread (2.2/2.3) as this is designed for phones, but a fully working version of Honeycomb or Ice Cream Sandwich, both of which are designed for tablets, yeah I'd definitely consider that. Unfortunately the poll doesn't cover this answer.
    Let's go with the assumption that it is designed for tablets and not phones.
    I'm liking webOS more and more. I'm always up for trying android as long as I'm able to reinstall webos if I'm not happy with it.
    Preferably Alien Dalvik(android apps on webOS)>Dual boot>sticking it out with webOS.

The lack of apps is a bit of a bummer on webOS but I'm really liking the UI. I can keep myself entertained with the snes emulator(hopefully visualboy gets updated for the touchpad too *fingers crossed*) as well as the various apps in the catalogue for now.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast