View Poll Results: Will you keep webOS or switch to Android when available for the TP?

Voters
475. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep webOS

319 67.16%
  • Dumping webOS in a heartbeat. Android!

64 13.47%
  • Undecided

92 19.37%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Like Tree23Likes
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jblather View Post
    What things are missing from the Pre?

Just curious. I don't have a smartphone and I wanna know...
    After switching to Android I felt sorry that I stuck with the Palm Pre for over a year. Here are just a few things that I like

1. Full feature office suite with plenty features unlike the recently released QuickOffice update. Pre still has no doc editing even after 2 years on the market.
    2. Android runs smooth while WebOS lags, loads apps slow and has plenty of bugs that makes you rely on the community. (TP out the box is a lag machine)
    3. Words with friends, Scrabble online, and plenty of great online games.
    4. Plenty of great apps such as Napster, Mint, online banking, Google apps, Twitter, Kindle, functioning pdf reader, web browsers with the ability to chose the default unlike webos, HeyWire, Paypal, Netflix etc etc i can go on and on.
    5. Widgets and a wide variety of devices to chose from.
    there should be a 4th option. run webos with app that can run android apps (instead of full android port). a project has started on xda-dev so it's not like I made this up.
    Quote Originally Posted by superflysocal View Post
    there should be a 4th option. run webos with app that can run android apps (instead of full android port). a project has started on xda-dev so it's not like I made this up.
    Wow - how far along is that? Is there a tech preview or something that can be "tried" by us lowly users? Or is it a concept right now?
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    I'll just say that I purchased this with the intention of getting an Android port, but after getting all the patches and kernel upgrades, I am really liking WebOS.

Maybe I'll feel differently in six months if Ice Cream Sandwich turns out to be awesome and is ported, but for now I'm planning to keep WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamex View Post
    After switching to Android I felt sorry that I stuck with the Palm Pre for over a year. Here are just a few things that I like

1. Full feature office suite with plenty features unlike the recently released QuickOffice update. Pre still has no doc editing even after 2 years on the market.
    2. Android runs smooth while WebOS lags, loads apps slow and has plenty of bugs that makes you rely on the community. (TP out the box is a lag machine)
    4. Plenty of great apps such as Napster, Mint, online banking, Google apps, Twitter, Kindle, functioning pdf reader, web browsers with the ability to chose the default unlike webos, HeyWire, Paypal, Netflix etc etc i can go on and on.
    Widgets and the notification bar are two extremely underrated components of Android that iOS and WebOS can't match.

I'm not sure why WebOS would try to do what iOS already does, just better. Android has enough differentiating factors that make it a great (and in my opinion, better) alternative.
    after dealing with a DOA device and HP support (whom apparently have never seen a tablet before) I'm going to say: Android. This is like dealing with an apple computer: sure it works when it works, but if it doesn't work nobody has any idea how to fix it, and they want you to pay a lot of money to "repair" it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamex View Post

maybe I am one of the few Android owners that think differently...I am probably one of the few Android users that doesn't care for the OS who has been using it for the last year as that is all Sprint has a majority of, and my old webOS phone died. This is probably the reason I will only be switching to a WP7 phone or an iPhone(rumored)

I have an Evo. And I need to use the built in app killer since it doesn't kill apps on its own regularly enough. I use the Syergy ROM released on 8/5/2011 and I need to use it every couple hours(depending on how much I use the phone).

Also I am not sure how much it affects newer phones but even after I loaded up a majority of my apps on my SD card I have very little space left to download any app on phone storage.

I have also found that regarding apps the only app I really miss is Netflix. I play a game or two(Battleheart and Cut My Rope are what I play the most) but I will be getting the next iPhone to get those apps. I dont really miss any app that is not available on webOS already. And I am not someone that drools over how much apps there is in the market/catalog/store/etc especially when I use like 10-20 apps.

I won't mind if Android runs on the Touchpad but I would only use it if its dual-booted. Since I would use it mostly for either Netflix or a game or two.
    Last edited by shoichikun808; 08/31/2011 at 07:20 PM.
    -------------------
    They can take away a webOS device from being released on Sprint...but I will never lose my love for webOS!!!...GO TOUCHPAD!!!!

Palm Pre - > HTC Hero - > HTC Evo 4g - > iPhone 5(soon)
    I would say the only way I would run android on the TP would be with some dual boot option. I see no real advantage to android yet, since it has not been determined that webOS will be killed off by HP. I am new to webOS, and as a avid iOS user I am very impressed with the webOS platform. As long as they continue to update the OS I will continue to use it as the primary for this tablet.
    Quote Originally Posted by shoichikun808 View Post
    maybe I am one of the few Android owners that think differently...I am probably one of the few Android users that doesn't care for the OS who has been using it for the last year as that is all Sprint has a majority of, and my old webOS phone died. This is probably the reason I will only be switching to a WP7 phone or an iPhone(rumored)

I have an Evo. And I need to use the built in app killer since it doesn't kill apps on its own regularly enough. I use the Syergy ROM released on 8/5/2011 and I need to use it every couple hours(depending on how much I use the phone).

Also I am not sure how much it affects newer phones but even after I loaded up a majority of my apps on my SD card I have very little space left to download any app on phone storage.

I have also found that regarding apps the only app I really miss is Netflix. I play a game or two(Battleheart and Cut My Rope are what I play the most) but I will be getting the next iPhone to get those apps. I dont really miss any app that is not available on webOS already. And I am not someone that drools over how much apps there is in the market/catalog/store/etc especially when I use like 10-20 apps.

I won't mind if Android runs on the Touchpad but I would only use it if its dual-booted. Since I would use it mostly for either Netflix or a game or two.
    Everything you are saying could easily be attributed to rooting and running a custom ROM. The JIT compiler in Gingerbread does a great job at managing apps and the only time a task killer should be needed is if a "bad" app is hanging. Who knows if the version you have is stable enough.

Additionally, Synergy uses Sense 3.0, right? That was designed for phones like the Evo 3D with a lot more on board storage. If you didn't partition your SD card, then no kidding you are going to run low on space. That isn't Android's fault. That is yours.

I rooted my Evo 4G, ran a ROM with Sense 3.0 and had no issues with wake lock, hanging apps, or app storage (had about 60 or so on there?). Stable ROM + partitioned SD card and you are golden. Otherwise stick with stock if those issues are going to concern you. If you aren't sure what you are talking about, don't attribute problems to the platform on a phone that you tinkered with.

If you have beef with Android for other reasons native to the OS, I get it, but your claims lack credibility.
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Hopefully the ability to dual-boot will be a possibility. I like WebOS and I bought it at full price initially because I wanted a webOS device. With that said, having options is always great and booting into Android for those extra Apps would be cool.

An Android player would also be nice.
    WebOS Devices: Palm Pre-, HP Touchpad
    Android: HTC G1, HTC Evo 4G
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    I would give android a try. I am having a hard time finding any use for the tpad for business purposes. Office isn't worth a flip. You have to have wifi or a computer to hook up to to do anything basically. No SD card. Can't sync with Outlook. None of my Windows Mobile apps come in an webos format so I can't use the two or three key programs that I have to have. And, I am not going to change the programs I do use just so I can use webos. I would rather use another os that I can just buy new versions of my existing programs. Did I mention that security is majorly lacking. I can't even stream video from any website that I have found thus far. I can't make handwritten notes. I can't organize bookmarks.

While the tpad is nice, fast and an intuitive one it just doesn't serve much purpose other than for web browsing, email (unsecured), playing a few games and reading a few docs.
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    I have an Evo and run a CM7 rom. Runs great... no need for task killers.
    WebOS Devices: Palm Pre-, HP Touchpad
    Android: HTC G1, HTC Evo 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by bvbull200 View Post
    Additionally, Synergy uses Sense 3.0, right? That was designed for phones like the Evo 3D with a lot more on board storage. If you didn't partition your SD card, then no kidding you are going to run low on space. That isn't Android's fault. That is yours.

I rooted my Evo 4G, ran a ROM with Sense 3.0 and had no issues with wake lock, hanging apps, or app storage (had about 60 or so on there?). Stable ROM + partitioned SD card and you are golden. Otherwise stick with stock if those issues are going to concern you. If you aren't sure what you are talking about, don't attribute problems to the platform on a phone that you tinkered with.
    My Evo4G is also running Synergy, and it indeed is a bit laggy and a storage hog. However, I've got a2sd installed, so I now have plenty of space for my apps with no chance of running out of internal storage. But it is still a bit laggy, but not due to running apps -- like you said, the Evo 4G is not meant to run Sense 3.0.

I am pretty close to going to an AOSP ROM though. My gf runs Deck's on her Evo Shift, and it's just so much smoother and peppier than Synergy. The only thing I'll miss from Sense (I don't even use the launcher, I use LauncherPro) is the fact that phone numbers don't format correctly in the AOSP calendar, so when a meeting alert comes up, I can't just click the phone number link to dial.'

Anyway, I love my Evo 4G, but I am begging Sprint to give me the upgrade the jerked me out of earlier this year with their Premier changes so I can grab that Epic 4G Touch
    Quote Originally Posted by bvbull200 View Post
    Everything you are saying could easily be attributed to rooting and running a custom ROM. The JIT compiler in Gingerbread does a great job at managing apps and the only time a task killer should be needed is if a "bad" app is hanging. Who knows if the version you have is stable enough.

If you have beef with Android for other reasons native to the OS, I get it, but your claims lack credibility.
    What I am saying is that Android is not THAT good. It has its faults too just like webOS. I am not bias towards any OS as I have tried them all(only Android and webOS were main phone devices). My post was toward the guy that said all the things good about it but not the bad. Also my version of Synergy runs 2.1 Sense UI on Godmode Kernel with only the lock screen being 3.0 Sense.

I am a BIG fan of internal memory as long as its big enough since SD cards are less durable(especially if its a cheap brand) compared to internal memory.
    Last edited by shoichikun808; 09/01/2011 at 12:25 AM.
    -------------------
    They can take away a webOS device from being released on Sprint...but I will never lose my love for webOS!!!...GO TOUCHPAD!!!!

Palm Pre - > HTC Hero - > HTC Evo 4g - > iPhone 5(soon)
    Quote Originally Posted by shoichikun808 View Post
    What I am saying is that Android is not THAT good. It has its faults too just like webOS. I am not bias towards any OS as I have tried them all(only Android and webOS were main phone devices). My post was toward the guy that said all the things good about it but not the bad. Also my version of Synergy runs 2.1 Sense UI on Godmode Kernel with only the lock screen being 3.0 Sense.

I am a BIG fan of internal memory as long as its big enough since SD cards are less durable(especially if its a cheap brand) compared to internal memory.
    I get it, but don't point out faults that are attributed to running a custom ROM on a rooted phone that doesn't have the hardware to support it. Your point would be a little more valid if you provided some examples that were native to the OS.

Your version of Synergy only has the 3.0 lockscreen? No quick settings or recent apps in the drop-down menu? No carousel home-screens? No updated "personalize" menu settings? That's crazy. Every version of Synergy that I ran had those.
    web os is nice and IF all my apps get ported over I could see sticking with it.
    Right now though I really miss gmail, slingplayer, netflix, google maps, dolphin hd, homescreen widgets and probably more but i'm tired and only got my tp this morning.

It has been a blast setting it up though and learning about homebrew, overclocking, .ipk files, gestures and cards. The TP is a nice device... if they would have just left it at 1.5ghz, added hdmi, sd and gps @ $399/Launch it would have been a winner.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    OK people I have a very noobie question I was hoping you guys could help me with.

Last night I was watching a live cricket feed on my TouchPad and it was running really well with no drop-outs (an event in itself with these 'free' streams). I was also browsing away happily in a second window whilst listening to the commentary. When something interesting happened (insert 'cricket is boring joke' here) I'd just hop across to the live feed.

To my amazement (I don't know why) all this worked seamlessly and I did not lose either browser session.

The question being ... Will any flavour of Android do this? Or is the 'true multitasking' of webOS pretty much the killer feature here?

I guess what I am trying to say is the more I use webOS, the more I like it
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456