View Poll Results: Will you keep webOS or switch to Android when available for the TP?

Voters
475. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep webOS

319 67.16%
  • Dumping webOS in a heartbeat. Android!

64 13.47%
  • Undecided

92 19.37%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by slimserv3r View Post
    I have the Nexus S that has the "carrier untouched" version of Gingerbread (2.3.4) and the phone quite often freezes. I need to reboot it every couple days to prevent the freezing. Also the keyboard typing is different when writing a text message and an email. BTW, I hate Apple products.
    Thanks. I thought it was a User Interface issue or the way it works or batt life or something like that.
    bought the tp with 100% idea of swapping to android, but I've fallen in love with webOS. No swapping for me, unless dual boot becomes an error free option.
    Quote Originally Posted by slimserv3r View Post
    I have the Nexus S that has the "carrier untouched" version of Gingerbread (2.3.4) and the phone quite often freezes. I need to reboot it every couple days to prevent the freezing. Also the keyboard typing is different when writing a text message and an email. BTW, I hate Apple products.
    You do know that the Nexus S is on 2.3.5...
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    You do know that the Nexus S is on 2.3.5...
    Guess you don't know I have the non-4G version so I'm on 2.3.4... If I had Sprint's Nexus S 4G then 2.3.5...
    Honeycomb just to watch flash without problems, yes I still have problems

or stay with a flash patch/update
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    Apps are key. If developers bail on webOS, then it has limited usefulness after a while, kind of like my lonely Palm Centro. Got to go where the apps are.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but we will not be getting Honeycomb on the TP unless Google decides to release the source code. We have it for all other versions of Android so it looks like if it gets done it will be Gingerbread. That being said, I find myself torn. I'm really liking webOS so far and not so sure I'd give it up since I already have 2 phones running Gingerbread. I hate not having Netflix on this thing though. I have this big awesome screen and I NEED some Netflix!
    From what I've read on the android forums,a stable honeycomb will be a long time coming.
    so much so that I think we will have all moved on to something else.
    After Pre, Pre2 , Touchpad - I switched to Samsung Galaxy S2 and am loving it, its the best smartphone I have used till now, don't know why I was stuck with pre till now, was missing so many things in my phone.
    Definitely going to android. The shockingly poor web browser kills webos for me, despite really liking the card view system.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I like webOS so far. Its not perfect but usable for my needs. The browser needs work as we all know but the rest seems fine to me.

I'd consider a dual boot with an Android OS that is for tablets. I'd have to wait for others to test it out first tho!
    I only got my Pixi about 4 months ago. Got my TouchPad a week ago. Why would I switch? My Pixi is far nicer than my mum's Galaxy S and people I know have been seriously impressed with my little phone. I think after playing with the Pixi, their opinions of their Android monster phones have worsened. I still plan on getting a Pre 2 before the year's out.

webOS seems to me better on tablets, and I prefer it to iOS, which I prefer to Android. I really like the TouchPad for what it is. Just please HP, OPTIMISE THE OS!
    Last edited by tinnedfood; 08/31/2011 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Increased relevance to TouchPad
    I like WebOS just fine, but can't understand the anger here!

Who wouldn't want Android, at least as a dual boot option?
    Here are some advantages of Android (it's about the Apps!):
    1. Remote Desktop
    2. Netflix and other video apps, like AlJazeera, HBO, TV.com, UStream, many more
    3. Alternative browsers - Dolphin, Skyfire, Opera (the browser in WebOS is not great - slow JavaScript, people reporting trouble staying logged in on sites, some rendering issues)
    4. Better document editing (can create PDFs, better formatting, etc)
    5. Google+, great Google Maps support, Google Sky, Google Voice, etc etc
    6. Tons of streaming options, like uPNP players (more than 2, and they work well), SlingBox, Roku, VLC, Cloud-based player apps (tons), stream your security system to the device, etc etc etc
    7. Video game emulation apps (other than SNES)
    8. Far better video codec support
    9. IMDB Movies app (great), time tracking, Nook, and other "one off" apps you won't find on WebOS
    10. Better game support; words with friends to 3D games...
    11. Tons of podcasting apps, video casting right from your device, etc
    12. Widgets - why load a full application, when you can get a quick status from your home screen? (and TONS of widgets are out there)

So, why do I have a WebOS tablet? Cause. $150 for a 32GB device. I'll take the limitations. I like the software. I love the homebrew scene. (PS, how is Android NOT a part of the homebrew scene?!) I love how well it multitasks.

I'll be perfectly fine if I don't run Android on the device. But I sure as hell am not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. I just don't understand the "I would never" crowd.

Don't believe for one second that HP is "standing behind" this product. They are not. They are literally getting out as fast as possible (while still maintaining relationships with their parts suppliers).
    DemonHighwayman likes this.
    Not even got mine yet but, I ordered with the intention of installing android when its ready. But after just reading about webos, I think I want to keep that or go dual boot, but not android on it's own !
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Why can't u do both! You can't new pre on the sprint network unless frakenpre it! Plus I love my samsung epic

Sent from my EPIC
    I feel, unfortunately, that the majority of new TP users (who got in on the firesale) are saying how bad WebOS is. That the browser is the worst of the bunch, that it's painstaking slow, and how they're gonna sell it on ebay.
    After going thru 3 Pre's, O2 repairs got fed up with me sending my phone back every now and then. They took my pre plus and send me a Galaxy s2. (not bad deal i suppose) So i did not have a choice to go or not to Android. At the moment im still hugging my Touchpad.
    After using the galaxy s2, i realized i dont need a huge phone, and i never really got around buying apps, dont use many, really.
    So i will be getting a pre3 or veer in the fire sale come september.
    But a good alternative is the Motorola Pro+
    "Humanity wasn't ready for WebOS"

Pre - uk day 1
    Pre + uk Replacement
    HP Touchpad 16 GB Day 1
    HP Pre 3 Vodafone
    Quote Originally Posted by sk_gemini View Post
    After Pre, Pre2 , Touchpad - I switched to Samsung Galaxy S2 and am loving it, its the best smartphone I have used till now, don't know why I was stuck with pre till now, was missing so many things in my phone.
    What things are missing from the Pre?

Just curious. I don't have a smartphone and I wanna know...
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I am still waiting for HP to ship my TP as my planned Ship/Delivery date keeps changing. I do not own a tablet or a smart phone, HP TP will be my first tablet. I played with HP TP and I really liked webOS, it is sluggish and need to be polished and optimized. If that happens I will definitely keep it otherwise I will explore Honeycomb/Ice Cream Sandwich if they perform better. Overall I like webOS and developer/homebrew community.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Why can't we do both!
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast