View Poll Results: Will you keep webOS or switch to Android when available for the TP?

Voters
475. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep webOS

319 67.16%
  • Dumping webOS in a heartbeat. Android!

64 13.47%
  • Undecided

92 19.37%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bvbull200 View Post
    If we are following that logic, then I would say that the engine in the Porsche is a VW as well and the argument becomes cyclical.
    Ha!, and not to mention (from the origianl quote) *paraphrasing* "the bugatti would run circles around the porsche."

no way the veyron is faster around the "ring" as in the nurburgring than porsche. The veyron does one thing well, fast in a straight line.

the veyron does the ring in 7:40 and there are HANDFULS of porsches faster...

proof: SUPERCARS.NET - Comprehensive Specifications, Galleries & Forums since 1996

anyway, back to the thread
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jblather View Post
    Because it might be interesting and fun. Plus, I wouldn't have to shell out hundreds of dollars for another tablet that I might not like.

I do indeed like webOS a lot, but I have zero experience with Android and it would be nice to see what that's like.
    My thoughts exactly, I'm a techie and I've been playing around with VirtualBox running an Android iso for the past few days. It's an area I haven't turned my software engineering hand to so the new skills are good to learn.

From a layman's point of view, if it dual-boots and the Android implementation is good then why not see how it runs on the TP?

More choice is good and at least we have the option of doing this unlike other items of tablet-sized hardware

I like webOS too but I also liked the technology behind the Laser Disc player ... It's only a means to delivering content in the end and if the content dries up ...

Having said that if Android doesn't fly for whatever reason I'll be perfectly content with my $150 purchase and the functionality it delivers now.
    DemonHighwayman likes this.
    I'll definitely stick with WebOS unless the Android port is 200% stable. I've never used Android before, but even though my brother raves about it I'm happy with WebOS for my first tablet.
    I am really interested in this Dalvik running within a card idea.

Even if it didnt run 100% all the time, it really would be the best of both worlds: Android app market running in webOS.....

...drools....

I wish the Android dev team focused on this instead...
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    We already know WebOS can emulate some very different OS, and with Android a "cousin", this may be fairly easy to do. Would make the best of both worlds I would think. Go team!
  6.    #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    Android has a future, webOS doesn't. I would love a $99 Android tablet with the specs of the TP.
    Exactly.

I purchased the TP, not because it runs webOS, but because it was $149 (32GB) and that I had heard about the Android project(s). This is my only tablet. I can't afford the price. The TP is now a gift to me by my parents. I don't have a smartphone. I do have an iPod Touch.

I am using the TP mainly as something to surf the 'Net, check e-mail, etc... I do like the apps that take advantage of full screen, like reference apps (BibleZ). I used BibleZ in church this past Sunday. I had been using another Bible app on my iPod and the extra screen real estate of the TP blows the iPod away.

Anyway... I'm getting off topic of my own post.

I like the webOS interface, but I'm looking forward to seeing what Android has to offer, even if I have to wait a year for it to happen on the TP.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    @nappy, not being a smart a**, but what are the apps on Android that you use that you either can't find or are of lesser quality than the Android version? I'm like you in the sense that out of the thousands of apps on the Android market, I use maybe 3 on a daily basis. I would like to pick up another TouchPad (returned mine when the news broke), but keep asking myself if I would really use it over my Transformer (or my iPad that's barley touched now).
    If you already have a Transformer, I don't really see a reason to buy a TouchPad. Unless you somehow grab it for $99, you'd be wasting your money. I've been on the fence about grabbing one just because I like new toys, but I can't really justify it to myself when my Transformer is 10x the tablet the TP is, even if Honeycomb is still a bit clunky.

I use my TF every day, hell I sold my Macbook Pro because with the dock, my Transformer handles all my portable needs. I just found out the other day I can use Citrix on my TF to remote into my work computer, which is pretty damn awesome.
    Global Posts
    2,672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    If you already have a Transformer, I don't really see a reason to buy a TouchPad. Unless you somehow grab it for $99, you'd be wasting your money. I've been on the fence about grabbing one just because I like new toys, but I can't really justify it to myself when my Transformer is 10x the tablet the TP is, even if Honeycomb is still a bit clunky.

I use my TF every day, hell I sold my Macbook Pro because with the dock, my Transformer handles all my portable needs. I just found out the other day I can use Citrix on my TF to remote into my work computer, which is pretty damn awesome.
    I just like new toys too, which is why I grabbed the TP when the price dropped and I had the 100.00 staples coupon. But I returned it when the news broke. But I would get another one for 99 bucks.
    I probably would too if I could find one. I didn't look very hard, and I won't pay more than $99 for it, so that probably seals it for me anyway.
    I have a Samsung Galaxy 10.1 Tab and to be honest with you, I'm not impressed with the Android OS. It's a good crossword puzzle machine and good for emails, that's about it. I feel the same way about the iPad2 which I gave away to my niece cause I just don't like dealing with iTunes (biggest pieces of crap software every written). To me webOS is so easy to use and it does everything I want it to do, plus the homebrew support for webOS is awesome.
    I used to have the palm pre for sprint before I switched to the Evo, and now the Atrix. In my time away from webOS I forgot how much I actually love the software. What I would love to see is something kinda like what the playbook has. WebOS with the ability to download and use android apps. Sure sometimes I miss widgets but I wouldn't give up my card tossing ways for anything.

so for my answer I'm going to have to say undecided as what I want is for webOS and android to meet and make a nice little card tossing, free apps galore baby
    SO we need to answer in a way that makes the statement untrue? So act as if I do not own multiple tablets? If that was the case then I would have to say I would probably bounce around between Honeycomb and webOS. Since I do own multiple tablets, my answer is that I am leaving webOS on the device. I have only toyed with it a bit at the store and am waiting for delivery of a TouchPad. I really like how WebOS works.

Quote Originally Posted by NealJ777 View Post
    When a stable version of Android for the TP is available, will you keep webOS or switch to Android?

For the purpose of this survey, that's say that you do not own multiple tablets. I only have an iPod Touch and the TouchPad. I do not own anything else. No smartphones, etc...
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    i own an Acer a500 and a touch pad. I use the touchpad 90 percent of the time. Andoid has a security can app and remote desktop app that I use, if touchpad had these my Acer would be on eBay right now.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I use ZumoCast to stream audio from my PC while using AirVideo and Netflix to stream video.
    Love my Touchpad with webOs, but this 2 are the ones i miss a lot from the ipad2 (Zumocast and Netflix).
    Why would anyone want to stay with a dead OS? webOS was a great OS until HP got there hands on it and killed it completely. There are rumors that Samsung might be interested that be good if not forget about webOS. Terrible that this happened to webOS had solid future if someone would invest in it but now there is Android and iOS.
  16.    #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by KScotty View Post
    SO we need to answer in a way that makes the statement untrue? So act as if I do not own multiple tablets? If that was the case then I would have to say I would probably bounce around between Honeycomb and webOS. Since I do own multiple tablets, my answer is that I am leaving webOS on the device. I have only toyed with it a bit at the store and am waiting for delivery of a TouchPad. I really like how WebOS works.
    I'm not asking you to make a false statement. I said to answer the survey as if you only had one device. So, ** IF ** you only had one device, how would you answer?
    WebOS IS the reason I wanted the TouchPad. I have Android on my phone and I don't like it much. Was waiting for the Pre 3 to get rid of Android.
    Quote Originally Posted by slimserv3r View Post
    WebOS IS the reason I wanted the TouchPad. I have Android on my phone and I don't like it much. Was waiting for the Pre 3 to get rid of Android.
    What don't you like about the Android? I have never used an Android. The TouchPad is my first mobile OS device. I'd like to know about the others' experiences on other mobile OSes.
    Quote Originally Posted by jblather View Post
    What don't you like about the Android? I have never used an Android. The TouchPad is my first mobile OS device. I'd like to know about the others' experiences on other mobile OSes.
    I have the Nexus S that has the "carrier untouched" version of Gingerbread (2.3.4) and the phone quite often freezes. I need to reboot it every couple days to prevent the freezing. Also the keyboard typing is different when writing a text message and an email. BTW, I hate Apple products.
    poll needs a both option. Dual booting android and running Ubuntu chroot(assuming noone builds a fully installed version of Ubuntu(thus allowing tri-boot!:-))) is the best of all worlds!
    ᛖᚲ ᚹᛁᛏᚲᛁ ᚱᛁᛊᛏ ᚱᚢᚾᚠᚱ
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast