View Poll Results: Will you keep webOS or switch to Android when available for the TP?

Voters
475. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep webOS

319 67.16%
  • Dumping webOS in a heartbeat. Android!

64 13.47%
  • Undecided

92 19.37%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes
    Both.

The cyanogen mod team is working on dual-boot, they posted a video of booted up Android already. Touchscreen wasn't working yet but it should be in a few weeks.
    jblather likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
    A man after my own heart!

Would it be safe to say that you are aware of the number of posts on TMO from folks who are waiting to dump maemo in favour of NITdroid as soon as voice calling is available?

For anyone who bought the touchpad with the belief that they can go ahead install Android and live happily ever once it is released will be really disappointed. Getting a 'stable' version of a none native OS on a device that was not designed to run it is one thing, getting it ready for day to day use is very lengthy process. (That is if they can find their way through the installation process in the first place)

For me, I would have to go with a dual/triple boot option too, bug I would primarily stay with WebOS and support/build upon the hard work from this community.
    Same here, I will never dump Maemo as a main OS on my N900(cause I don't really like android even if it has call function) and installed/will install other OS'es just for the overview(so far played with Nitdroid and MeeGo CE 1.2 and older versions). Same with the TP - WebOS stays as a main OS, the rest is just for fun. Kubuntu mobile looks good on a N900, I'm wondering if it finds it's way on the tablets.
    When I bought my Maemo-linux powered N900, its future was doomed.
    When I bought my WebOS powered Touchpad, its future was uncertain.
    IAmA multitasking necrophile!
    This is my first tablet and only portable device (my phone is an older call/text model). I originally assumed I'd get Android if/when it came out and figured my firesale purchase would be worth it for that. But now I have a good number of apps and am pretty darn happy with what I have so, if a cutting edge Android port was released tomorrow, I'd probably still wait on it and see what the Touchpad and webOS's future will be. I'm no devotee to any system but I'd figure I can always change "tomorrow" if development dries up and it stops meeting my needs.

So I went from "I'd change" to "undecided".
    Quote Originally Posted by metr0man View Post
    Both.

The cyanogen mod team is working on dual-boot, they posted a video of booted up Android already. Touchscreen wasn't working yet but it should be in a few weeks.
    That is awesome. This will allow me to experience Android without having to shell out more bucks for an Android device.

Also, since they might share the same filesystem or can access each others' filesystems, we might be able to share files between the two!
    I don't care for Android and I have an Android phone(I will be switching to either WP7 or the iPhone 5 on Sprint since no webOS device will be available when my upgrade comes)...I dont know why but I don't care for Android. My Hero and Evo were both phones I used because they were an upgrade of each other and both were gotten without using my upgrade because of family members giving them to me...and my Pre- was starting to break so I needed a new phone...

So I will stick with webOS on my Touchpad. If anything I would try see how good the implementation of Android is on the Touchpad but I would switch back to webOS after.

The only thing I really want is Netflix. If anything I would use Android to just watch Netflix(if they can hack the .apk to be loaded on it) and switch back to webOS(if it is able to be dual-booted) to do everything else.

Too bad there is no Android Player like the Playbook has...then I would never need to have a whole OS on it and I still get webOS
    Last edited by shoichikun808; 08/29/2011 at 07:03 PM.
    -------------------
    They can take away a webOS device from being released on Sprint...but I will never lose my love for webOS!!!...GO TOUCHPAD!!!!

Palm Pre - > HTC Hero - > HTC Evo 4g - > iPhone 5(soon)
    Quote Originally Posted by NealJ777 View Post
    I'm liking webOS, I just wish there were more TP enabled apps. I installed a non-TP app the other day and it was very annoying having all that valuable real estate wasted.

I hope that developers realize the audience they have available to them with the Fire Sale introducing people to webOS that would have never considered it otherwise (myself included).
    Pretty much my feelings. I'm enjoying webOS, but the lack of true TP apps and apps for things I can get on Android are making it hard for me to fully embrace it. Netflix would go a long way towards making me happy.
    I'm keeping WebOS for sure. If I don't have some solid ebook and RDP software on my TP by the time Android Dual-Boot is available then I will definitely be dual booting. I'll probably dual boot just for the hell of it either way, but for sure, I'm a WebOS ****** now .
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    depends on how good the port is...im an android ****** but Webos runs flawlessly on the touchpad.....so the droid port would have to be just as good for me to switch
    I specifically bought one because of the possibility of Android but now having used it for a while I am thoroughly impressed with WebOS (my first use of it). There's a lot of features and small things I do miss but I'm optimistic with another million or so on the market that we might get some of those.

So for now, I'm sticking with WebOS and loving my TP.
    Dis and DemonHighwayman like this.
    I don't want to be a troll here, but why in the hell would you put Android on a Touchpad? The absolute beauty of the system IS webOS. My wife has a 3.1 Android tablet.. and she is jealous of how smooth and intuitive webOS is. Sure, there aren't as many apps. But webOS is more 'open' than Android and we have the guys at webOS-Internals supporting us. They rock! If you want an Android tablet, go buy a Galaxy and sell the TouchPad to someone that appreciates it for what it is.
    Pilot 1000 > PalmPilot Pro > Handspring Visor > Treo 700p > XV6700 > HTC-6800 > Pre- > FrankenPre2
    Quote Originally Posted by satterwc View Post
    I don't want to be a troll here, but why in the hell would you put Android on a Touchpad?
    Android has a future, webOS doesn't. I would love a $99 Android tablet with the specs of the TP.
    I don't want to be a troll here, but why in the hell would you put Android on a Touchpad?.
    Because it might be interesting and fun. Plus, I wouldn't have to shell out hundreds of dollars for another tablet that I might not like.

I do indeed like webOS a lot, but I have zero experience with Android and it would be nice to see what that's like.
    I will say again: The Touchpad's main value is the truly great OS it uses. The hardware is over a year old, and substandard. Putting a clumsy OS on ancient hardware could only appeal to hackers who see it as a cool puzzle. Unless you really need those Fart apps.

I'm just gonna save the above paragraph to repost on similar threads.
    Quote Originally Posted by blinktreo View Post
    Unless you really need those Fart apps.
    I posted earlier about the top 100 Android Apps based on Marketplace rankings, where nary a one was a fart app. That particular bit of sour grapes is a little old at this point, but if it helps make the webOS market seem acceptable to you, I guess you should stick with it.
    nappy likes this.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnewhouse View Post
    well the Volkswagen engine in the bugatti veyron runs rings around a Porsche so thanks for pushing the android point for me
    i won't even tell you how stupid this comment is.

please don't use car comments when you don't know ***** about these 3 autos.
    I'd gladly wade through a hundred fart apps in the Android Marketplace if it means I'll find 5 useful, well-designed apps. I've been using the TouchPad exclusively for the past week and I find myself using it less and less because the apps I've installed on it are of such low quality that I'm better off not using them. Plus, contrary what I've been told on this forum, having Flash isn't actually a good substitute for native apps.

So, yeah, I'll be installing Android ASAP.
    Global Posts
    2,672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I'd gladly wade through a hundred fart apps in the Android Marketplace if it means I'll find 5 useful, well-designed apps. I've been using the TouchPad exclusively for the past week and I find myself using it less and less because the apps I've installed on it are of such low quality that I'm better off not using them. Plus, contrary what I've been told on this forum, having Flash isn't actually a good substitute for native apps.

So, yeah, I'll be installing Android ASAP.
    @nappy, not being a smart a**, but what are the apps on Android that you use that you either can't find or are of lesser quality than the Android version? I'm like you in the sense that out of the thousands of apps on the Android market, I use maybe 3 on a daily basis. I would like to pick up another TouchPad (returned mine when the news broke), but keep asking myself if I would really use it over my Transformer (or my iPad that's barley touched now).
    The Cyanogen teams stated goal is to have dual boot allowing you to run either webOS or Android. The point is that you woul dnot have to choose.

Why isn't that an option?
    DemonHighwayman likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnewhouse View Post
    well the Volkswagen engine in the bugatti veyron runs rings around a Porsche so thanks for pushing the android point for me
    If we are following that logic, then I would say that the engine in the Porsche is a VW as well and the argument becomes cyclical.

Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    And really, it's a very small number of people that will actually try to put Android on the TP. I know the Android community think they have a large number of users who want to root, hack, install custom ROMs, etc. But it's a very small percentage.
    You can't compare numbers to percentages. The percentage of people that root their Android phones is small, too, but the number of people that do it is fairly large. The TP won't have the number of "rooters", if you will, as an Android phone, but I bet there are plenty to justify making this project work. Besides, it isn't just a way to earn a few bucks from donations. These guys just love a challenge.

I don't want to be a troll here, but why in the hell would you put Android on a Touchpad? The absolute beauty of the system IS webOS. My wife has a 3.1 Android tablet.. and she is jealous of how smooth and intuitive webOS is. Sure, there aren't as many apps. But webOS is more 'open' than Android and we have the guys at webOS-Internals supporting us. They rock! If you want an Android tablet, go buy a Galaxy and sell the TouchPad to someone that appreciates it for what it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by blinktreo View Post
    I will say again: The Touchpad's main value is the truly great OS it uses. The hardware is over a year old, and substandard. Putting a clumsy OS on ancient hardware could only appeal to hackers who see it as a cool puzzle. Unless you really need those Fart apps.

I'm just gonna save the above paragraph to repost on similar threads.
    Christ, some of the WebOS fans are as whiny as the iOS people. The app catalog is weak, weak, weak for WebOS and is a pretty solid reason to look towards Android. WebOS is not SO great that it is why you should keep it. It is certainly good enough, that if you aren't going to benefit from the Android advantage, that you shouldn't bother, but it isn't a huge selling point.

I like WebOS as a basic user interface, but it gets handcuffed with the sort of productivity it could potentially have due to the lack of apps. I have 60+ apps on my Evo 3D, with a good chunk of them that I use every day. Take out the phone specific apps, and there is still a chunk that WebOS would benefit from.

I plan on using my TP for very little. Web browsing, checking e-mail, movies/music while traveling, and that is about it. For those purposes, it is a great OS. If I start integrating more entertainment purposes, a stable Android port is in my future.

One thing that the TP and the iPad have going against them is the 1 home button. The 4 buttons on an Android device are huge, to me, in making it so much easier to navigate.
    Jameson42 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    @nappy, not being a smart a**, but what are the apps on Android that you use that you either can't find or are of lesser quality than the Android version? I'm like you in the sense that out of the thousands of apps on the Android market, I use maybe 3 on a daily basis. I would like to pick up another TouchPad (returned mine when the news broke), but keep asking myself if I would really use it over my Transformer (or my iPad that's barley touched now).
    That's a fair question. My day to day tablet is actually an iPad so I'll give you an idea of what apps I use on that. My two Twitter clients are the official Twitter app and the pixel doubled iPhone version of Tweetbot just because it's really that good. I live in Reeder most of the time for my RSS feeds. I'm a bit of a masochist so I actually use iWork and DocsToGo to work with documents. I use Evernote and Elements to take and sync notes. I generate and store all my passwords in 1Password. Photo sharing happens in Instagram. I use ZumoCast to stream audio from my PC while using AirVideo and Netflix to stream video.

I don't think these are very esoteric apps and, honestly, the TouchPad's App Catalog has apps that can do some of what I need from a tablet. They're just of shockingly poor quality. Spaz HD is the closest to a decent Twitter client but it's hobbled by horrifically slow scrolling. I've tried about 4 different Google Reader clients and I ended up using the web site (as slow as it is) because they're all so awful. Evernote is okay but it kind of sucks having to use a Mojo app in a tiny window for a task that benefits from having as much screen space as possible. And today's QuickOffice update is the very definition of "you get what you pay for."

I'm not sure what apps I'll find on the Android Marketplace but, with the sheer size of it, I'm guessing it has to be better than what webOS has to offer.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast