View Poll Results: Will you keep webOS or switch to Android when available for the TP?

Voters
475. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep webOS

319 67.16%
  • Dumping webOS in a heartbeat. Android!

64 13.47%
  • Undecided

92 19.37%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by NealJ777 View Post
    Let's go with the assumption that it is designed for tablets and not phones.
    I believe the first attempts at getting Android on the Touchpad relate to an Android 2.3 base (perhaps due to Honeycomb source code not being available and no date for when it will be released by Google), so the question - IMHO - is how many are interested by Gingerbread on the TP? Personally speaking, not me, but a successful Honeycomb port - yes, maybe and with dual-boot - definitely (as I am impressed enough by webOS to keep using it, despite all the annoying bugs!)
  2.    #22  
    Thank you for the very enlightening responses.

I must admit that I am completely new to webOS (as I also suspect is the case with about 250K+ other people out there). webOS is growing on me and I've only been using the TP for about 5 days. I haven't even had an opportunity to put Preware on it yet. I'm looking forward to this weekend. I do have some projects to work on this weekend, but since we do have an extra day, I intend on taking some time to spend with my TP (or as my parents said, "...your Christmas/Chanukah/Birthday gift...")
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohmytvc15 View Post
    I'm liking webOS more and more. I'm always up for trying android as long as I'm able to reinstall webos if I'm not happy with it.
    I would go with the multiboot (which I didn't make an answer to the poll).
    Don't like android. Specially for a tablet. I use webOS, iOS and WP7. I sold all the androids I had (2 of them). I have used the Galaxy Tab 7 and 10.1 and the Xoom. Utter crap (the UI as well as the development environment).
    Quote Originally Posted by kangur View Post
    Don't like android. Specially for a tablet. I use webOS, iOS and WP7. I sold all the androids I had (2 of them). I have used the Galaxy Tab 7 and 10.1 and the Xoom. Utter crap (the UI as well as the development environment).
    Did you get your name from the Romanian word for kangaroo?
    This is such a stupid idea! Anyone, in her or his right mind, who has used both webOS and Android knows how ridiculous it would be to try to shoehorn Android onto a Touchpad. What a crock!

Putting Android on a TouchPad is like putting a Volkswagen engine in a Porsche. webOS is the best part of the TouchPad. Why dump it? And Android is such a cludgy, clumsy, buggy OS. Why use it?

Ask me if I care if there are 300,000 apps on Android. Most of them are probably crappy ports of books into Android "apps" anyhow. Virtually every app I need is among the 5,000 or so available for webOS. I'm sticking with webOS. (Now, if Leo Apotheker could just learn to love it!)
    Last edited by GoBears; 08/29/2011 at 02:19 PM.
    Kyocera 6035 > Samsung SPH-i300 > i330 > i500 > Treo 600 > 700p > 755p > PRĒ Minus > Touchpad & FrankenPre2
    There are probably people out there who are sticking with their HD-DVD players too, figuring all the movies they bought during its firesale are all they'll ever need

So what if someone wants to turn their TouchPad into an Android tablet? There are two things I guarantee won't happen if people do: 1) Your tablet will not magically convert to Android, and 2) It won't drive away future webOS app development, HP already took care of that for you.
    zappcatt likes this.
    I guarantee stable will take awhile to develop. I still don't have a fully stable gingerbread, and they have been working on that for 3-4 months.

frankly, I think webOS is a better platform. We have all platforms in our house now being used daily, and I prefer this one. Will it ever go the distance?
  9.    #29  
    GoBears: So, how do you really feel?

I'm liking webOS, I just wish there were more TP enabled apps. I installed a non-TP app the other day and it was very annoying having all that valuable real estate wasted.

I hope that developers realize the audience they have available to them with the Fire Sale introducing people to webOS that would have never considered it otherwise (myself included).
    Quote Originally Posted by GoBears View Post
    This is such a stupid idea! Anyone, in her or his right mind, who has used both webOS and Android knows how ridiculous it would be to try to shoehorn Android onto a Touchpad. What a crock!

Putting Android on a TouchPad is like putting a Volkswagen engine in a Porsche. webOS is the best part of the TouchPad. Why dump it? And Android is such a cludgy, clumsy, buggy OS. Why use it?

Ask me if I care if there are 300,000 apps on Android. Most of them are probably crappy ports of books into Android "apps" anyhow. Virtually every app I need is among the 5,000 or so available for webOS. I'm sticking with webOS. (Now, if Leo Apotheker could just learn to love it!)
    I believe I disagree with you on only 100% of this post. Considering they both come from a Linux Platform, "shoehorn" would not be the choice word here.

Even worse, to call WebOS a Porsche? Blow me... Its ok and has some really neat aspects to it, but its buggy and lacks true support from HP. EVERYTHING that has made my Touchpad perform better has been because of the Homebrew Patches/Apps/Kernels that made this a good device.
    Last edited by Demiroquai; 08/29/2011 at 03:06 PM.
    I love Nerdy Girls.
    Oh... I should totally follow this BAMF www.twitter.com/demiroquai
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    I'm only interested in Android on the TouchPad if a can dual boot into HoneyComb or greater.
    Triple boot with WebOS, Android 3 and MeeGo. Thank you very much.
    When I bought my Maemo-linux powered N900, its future was doomed.
    When I bought my WebOS powered Touchpad, its future was uncertain.
    IAmA multitasking necrophile!
    planning on dual booting. I guess ill see which i like better for my main os. I have used them both but never for a tablet.
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NealJ777 View Post
    When a stable version of Android for the TP is available, will you keep webOS or switch to Android?

For the purpose of this survey, that's say that you do not own multiple tablets. I only have an iPod Touch and the TouchPad. I do not own anything else. No smartphones, etc...
    I think since I'm using for news surfing email and doc reading webOS is enough

unless webOS dies I think I'll stick with it

why not? Lifetime of this tablet is what 2 to 3 years max? By the time there is a port it may be 6 mos to a year old already
    Quote Originally Posted by GoBears View Post

well the Volkswagen engine in the bugatti veyron runs rings around a Porsche so thanks for pushing the android point for me
    IF i would get a TP I'll never ever put android on it!! But I can understand who wants to... For me the TP makes only sense with WebOs
    Global Posts
    2,672 Global Posts
    And really, it's a very small number of people that will actually try to put Android on the TP. I know the Android community think they have a large number of users who want to root, hack, install custom ROMs, etc. But it's a very small percentage.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by arcticrobot View Post
    Triple boot with WebOS, Android 3 and MeeGo. Thank you very much.
    A man after my own heart!

Would it be safe to say that you are aware of the number of posts on TMO from folks who are waiting to dump maemo in favour of NITdroid as soon as voice calling is available?

For anyone who bought the touchpad with the belief that they can go ahead install Android and live happily ever once it is released will be really disappointed. Getting a 'stable' version of a none native OS on a device that was not designed to run it is one thing, getting it ready for day to day use is very lengthy process. (That is if they can find their way through the installation process in the first place)

For me, I would have to go with a dual/triple boot option too, bug I would primarily stay with WebOS and support/build upon the hard work from this community.
    Last edited by MINKIN2; 08/29/2011 at 04:08 PM.
    arcticrobot likes this.
    I'm definitely sticking with webOS. All I want is an android app emulator.
    I guess I'll see when at least HoneyComb or ICS comes out on the TouchPad. I'm figuring at least a few months. In that time if there has been no updates to WebOS then I'll probably go the Android route. If HP continues to develop WebOS and makes some nice updates then I'll stick with that.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast