Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
  1.    #1  
    Does anyone have access to data or other sources to show the TP's current position in the tablet market? For example: If I said that the FireSale and the sudden interest in the TP has made it the #2 tablet on the market, is there anything to back up that claim?

The reason I ask is because I contacted a company that has apps for iOS, Android, and webOS, except the webOS version is outdated and does not support TP (full screen and other extras). I asked them if they plan on updating the app, and was told, "...We have a WebOS app, but it's not optimized for TouchPad. No one outside HP really knows the future of the WebOS though..." I would like to try and convince them that the interest in TP and webOS is worth supporting.

Thank you
    Neal
    I know, I had the same problem convincing developers at PAX to bring their games to webOS.
    I haven't looked that hard, but I haven't a whole lot of info from casual googling.

FWIW and might put current estimates on sales in perspective:

Global Tablet 4Q10 OS Shipments:

iPad: 7.3 million

Android: 2.1 million

Others: 0.3 million

Read more: Steve Jobs Wasn't Lying: Apple's iPad Market Share Was Really More Than 90% Last Year
    It will be difficult to convince major developers to put forth the time, effort, and expense to port their apps to a platform that, barring a miracle, will only dwindle instead of grow over the next several months. If you were to graph the sales of iOS, webOS, and Android tablets for the next month, you'd see a huge spike in sales the past two weeks for webOS, and then a drop down to zero after that, while Android and iOS will stay steady or rise.

If you purchased a TouchPad hoping that developers would flock to it now, you probably bought it for the wrong reason.
    reggieb likes this.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    If you purchased a TouchPad hoping that developers would flock to it now, you probably bought it for the wrong reason.
    Nope, not the reason I purchased it.

I'm not expecting developers to flock to it. I would hope that developers that already have existing webOS apps would still stand behind those apps and also make TP versions, considering the webOS (TP) community has grown over the past week.
    Some developers are standing by to see what going to happen, if HP is still going forward with the webOS software development. With the recent updates and more coming down the pipe so far it looks like HP is living up to its promise. Some developers like Picsel Smart Office saying that they are developing for the TouchPad is encouraging and add to that rumors about Samsung and other big players in the mobile industry being interested in webOS makes the future of not so bleak as some people paint in here.
    bainx likes this.
    It will be difficult to convince major developers to put forth the time, effort, and expense to port their apps to a platform that, barring a miracle, will only dwindle instead of grow over the next several months. If you were to graph the sales of iOS, webOS, and Android tablets for the next month, you'd see a huge spike in sales the past two weeks for webOS, and then a drop down to zero after that, while Android and iOS will stay steady or rise.

Shouldn't need convincing for major developers with phonegap. Phonegap was designed to relieve devs of the burden of coding for specific os. They can design once for multiple platforms that are supported under phonegap. In time we will see apple and android apps on webos and vice versa.

PhoneGap

Lack of devs for webos should not be an issue as it once was. The Robin Hood of dev tools. Love it, no many how many haters there are webos will always be around. In fact it's the only os that stands a chance without corporate backing.
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NealJ777 View Post
    No one outside HP really knows the future of the WebOS though..
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say that no one inside HP knows the future of WebOS either. It all depends on what Apotheker's mind drifts off to in his next drunken stupor.
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    Unless WebOS hardware starts to be produced again, we will at the peak of ownership and that number will start to come down over the next few weeks - older pre devices will start to go out of service, there will be natural churn, machines will break.

That's before you get into trying to work out who is the audience for your app and how many of them are on the WebOS platform. This is harder than before before because previously certain demographics and consumer types bought tablets now you can't be sure who purchased them and for what purposes.

Why start developing for a platform that will be significantly smaller in 12 months?
    to echo what CGK said, i think it's a very very tough sell. Without concrete insight into the future i don't see much app development coming past what is already in the works, not that i know what those apps are, Hell maybe there's a netflix app in the work that's two weeks away and they think screw it just finish it and release it cause we've spent 5 months making it. I don't know. But hell it was hard to get developers when HP was screaming on a daily basis about WebOS. it's doubly hard now. But outside of the people with some allegiance to the platform i think you'll have a hard time convincing developers that their time i not wasted. But I wish you good luck.

as for sales figures i couldn't tell you. I could have sworn on the podcast (either the roundtable, palmcast or the this is mynext with deiter (right after the announcement they were abandoning webos) i thought i heard them mention some weekend sales in the range of 50 to 100k which was significantly lower then other numbers i've heard bandied around on boards, like 2 and 3 million. I think the latter is probably optimistic. But who knows for sure? Surely not me.

One other comment. I think being the number two "tablet" is fine though i think to a developer they are building for a platform. So what would really convince them is to be the number 2 "platform." Because even if the touchpad is the second most popular tablet behind the ipad brand it would have to do quite a bit of sales, i'm guessing, to surpass the total of android. according to this android is 20% of the tablet market. Android Tablets Grab 20 Percent of Market Share | PCWorld I think to be number 2 platform it would probably be in the range of 3 to 5 million tablets depending on how big the market really is. But anyways point is, to start challenging they'd have to sell quite a bit of tablets in the last few weeks. There's a chance they could be number 2 tablet and still drastically trail android as a platform because android tablet share is spread out over many devices. Then then a developer would theoretically be posed with choosing between developing for a potential users base of many android users or a smaller amount of webos users. But it all comes down to the numbers.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    But who can accurately predict the future? Who knows if a competitor will produce a free, cheaper, or better version of your application, making you lose your investment unless you plough more resources into it.

Also, if an app has no competitors (ie. HP app catalog), then it could sell better than one with 20 competitors in the iPhone/Adroid app store.

If a developer only develops for what happens in the future, then they are playing with fire.
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
    bmacfarland and tnguy88 like this.
  12. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    But who can accurately predict the future? Who knows if a competitor will produce a free, cheaper, or better version of your application, making you lose your investment unless you plough more resources into it.
    Nobody, but companies assess risk/reward - unless there is some clear sign that someone else is picking up the hardware then you are looking at a market than either peaked or is just about to pick. That might not matter to one-man bands, who for the reasons you elucidate, might be interested - but I'm not sure that's an argument that will convince someone like Evernote who want to know a platform is stable before committing significant resources into development. They developed an evernote app for the pre because at the time there was potential - I doubt they see the same potential at the moment.

That may seem likely but...

1. After all TPad units have been sold, there will be approximately 3 million webOS users (educated calculation based on 1.6 million Palm users + the 750K to 1million new TPad owners.)

2. After the HP bomb, Amazon has added enhanced features to the Kindle app.

3. The TPad app count before the HP Bomb was in the 330's, it now stands at 368.

4. Quick office released their full doc editing version. No reason for them to not pull a DTG and abandon the platform.

Evidence seems to contradict your statements. Things are increasing and getting better for the platform, not worse (yet anyway). With all the positive momentum currently, seems there is a plan in play somewhere (pre webOS purchase stipulation? "We will purchase webOS if you complete..."
  14. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    4. Quick office released their full doc editing version. No reason for them to not pull a DTG and abandon the platform.
    Isn't that fulfilling contractual obligation? I doubt that HP would have promised document editing unless they had something in place with QO for it to appear.
    If I was developer, I'd take advanatge of the new userbase and at least port an app to webOS. You'll get immediate attention and I think it has been shown webOS users are willing to pay for their apps. I can understand not starting from scratch though. Basically HP has a created a one year market of users and some devs are gonna make some money on the TP base while it lasts.
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    That may seem likely but...

1. After all TPad units have been sold, there will be approximately 3 million webOS users (educated calculation based on 1.6 million Palm users + the 750K to 1million new TPad owners.)

2. After the HP bomb, Amazon has added enhanced features to the Kindle app.

3. The TPad app count before the HP Bomb was in the 330's, it now stands at 368.

Evidence seems to contradict your statements. Things are increasing and getting better for the platform, not worse (yet anyway). With all the positive momentum currently, seems there is a plan in play somewhere (pre webOS purchase stipulation? "We will purchase webOS if you complete..."
    Only time will tell, but all of the above statements about things happening "after the HP bomb" were already well in the works prior to the HP bomb.

I can't see anyone seriously starting new development on a platform that just flooded the market with potentially the last line of hardware. It doesn't matter if there are 1 million new TouchPad owners or 10 million new TouchPad owners. Unless someone picks up the hardware end for webOS devices it is a market that will only decrease over time.

The only thing that will save webOS is for a hardware manufacturer to step in and save the day. Even then -- it will be a considerable lengthy period of time before those devices would hit the market for sale. And once those would hit the market they are going to have a tough time convincing anyone that webOS is viable for anything but a tablet audience.

I fear no matter what webOS on smartphones is dead, major carriers backed away from the Pre 3 like it was a bad virus, any new manufacturer for those devices would face the same pariah status. I think tablets is the only future that webOS may have.
    Developers adding enhancements to apps is a different story. Amazon and QuickOffice already began work on those enhancements and were likely deep into testing when the plug was pulled on the TouchPad.

Another thing to keep in mind is there are many people who won't buy apps because, if they sell their TP or it just plain dies, they will have to re-buy those apps on a different platform. If my Transformer died today, the next Android tablet I bought would automagically download all of my purchased apps. Developers may drool at the prospect of a double-dip, but consumers will likely just pass on the paid apps.

If I bought a TP, I'd only go for the free apps knowing that my foray into webOS was a one-shot deal.
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts

I think these posts are useless..............
    Of course People are buying the Touchpad and expect support what planet do people come from where hundreds of thousands buy a product and yet they will now throw it away? If I was in the Apple IOS or ANdroid crowd and a small developer and had a useful apps that no one really wants on these devices because they have thousands to choose

Why not spend a few extra hours and adapt it for webOS where there are hundreds of thousands App hungry new Tablet buyers?

US bad economy I can now make a few extra thousand doing this maybe more?

Wow I want what your smoking to be so negative on the TP ( Yes because of your weird avatar I remember a lot of the negative posts you post)
    I'm not negative, just a realist. If there were going to be more TouchPads made, then sure, developers would be wise to spend the time to port their apps. You're thinking in the short-term, and a developer needs to think long-term. The smaller homebrew type devs, yeah, you'll definitely see a spike in those apps. They don't rely on a steady stream of purchases to pay for their programmers, office space, advertising budgets, etc. But for the Zyngas of the world, it makes no sense to develop for webOS when the current userbase is all there will ever be. And who knows if extreme bargain hunters will even pay for apps?

If people bought a $99 TouchPad, knowing it was discontinued, and yet they expect it to get the same dev support as iOS or Android, I'd like to know what they are smoking. (Just for informational purposes -- I'm asthmatic, no smoking for me!)
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    I'm not negative, just a realist. If there were going to be more TouchPads made, then sure, developers would be wise to spend the time to port their apps. You're thinking in the short-term, and a developer needs to think long-term. The smaller homebrew type devs, yeah, you'll definitely see a spike in those apps. They don't rely on a steady stream of purchases to pay for their programmers, office space, advertising budgets, etc. But for the Zyngas of the world, it makes no sense to develop for webOS when the current userbase is all there will ever be. And who knows if extreme bargain hunters will even pay for apps?

If people bought a $99 TouchPad, knowing it was discontinued, and yet they expect it to get the same dev support as iOS or Android, I'd like to know what they are smoking. (Just for informational purposes -- I'm asthmatic, no smoking for me!)
    COme on all IOS are short term, 6 months at least
    I have seen APps made useless after 2 weeks, just released for 4.0 then IOS 4.1 comes out and WOW it does not work with 4.1 and needs an update.

webOS so far old apps work with the updates.............Hmm I see a future for small Devs
    and in fact your thinking that people do not do things for short gains or for little gain

Why did COMEX and others JB the Iphone all these years for free?

Why do Home brew make stuff for free?

You are greatly underestimating people and that is very sad

You are also underestimating the potential

If I made an app and could make just $2 off of 100,000 DL ( less than a 1/3 of the current user base for the TP ) then thats 200,000K for that

WOW I do not know many small devs that would pass up 200,000k profit

Kalem is at least 6 usd if the profit is 50% then do $3 for 200,000 users who want to have decent video player?

WOW I get 600,00K yeah no potential
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast