Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree12Likes
    I write apps for webOS because it's the platform I use. There is no other deciding factor for me, currently.

edit: and you should expect more devs to follow the same route since there is now many, many more webOS users.

Consider that quality apps often take 1-3 months to complete, the firesale started a couple weeks ago. You will have to wait to see the fruits that the sale bares.
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by drfp View Post
    If I made an app and could make just $2 off of 100,000 DL ( less than a 1/3 of the current user base for the TP ) then thats 200,000K for that.

WOW I do not know many small devs that would pass up 200,000k profit
    You are living in a fantasy world if you think someone can throw an app in a marketplace, price it for $2, and walk away with $200,000. It just doesn't work like that.

Besides, along with the firesale devaluation of webOS comes the devaluation of apps for it. I bought a Dreamcast after it was discontinued, and I expected the games for it to be priced accordingly. If they weren't, I didn't buy them. I suspect someone buying a discontinued tablet, when that tablet is the only one running the OS on it, may feel the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by NealJ777 View Post
    Nope, not the reason I purchased it.

I'm not expecting developers to flock to it. I would hope that developers that already have existing webOS apps would still stand behind those apps and also make TP versions, considering the webOS (TP) community has grown over the past week.
    Why. The TP doesn't even use the same SDK as the Pre/Pixi/Veer.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    I'm not negative, just a realist.
    Welcome to precentral. You're appeals to realism and logic will be frowned upon.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    reggieb and beardedspoooon like this.
    You are living in a fantasy world if you think someone can throw an app in a marketplace, price it for $2, and walk away with $200,000. It just doesn't work like that.
    I can see a $2 app getting lost in hundred of thousands of iPad apps and then not sell as well. But create a nice app for 2 bucks on a app thirsty user base like WebOS I can see someone making a few bucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by RedMist View Post
    But who can accurately predict the future? Who knows if a competitor will produce a free, cheaper, or better version of your application, making you lose your investment unless you plough more resources into it.

Also, if an app has no competitors (ie. HP app catalog), then it could sell better than one with 20 competitors in the iPhone/Adroid app store.

If a developer only develops for what happens in the future, then they are playing with fire.
    Seriously? You would not run a business very well, no offense.

Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post

4. Quick office released their full doc editing version. No reason for them to not pull a DTG and abandon the platform
    Huh? There is a big difference between releasing an app that was at least 99% finished when the announcement was made (absent possible contractual obligation as previously mentioned) and starting from scratch.

Besides, along with the firesale devaluation of webOS comes the devaluation of apps for it. I bought a Dreamcast after it was discontinued, and I expected the games for it to be priced accordingly. If they weren't, I didn't buy them. I suspect someone buying a discontinued tablet, when that tablet is the only one running the OS on it, may feel the same.
    Are you trying to say that people that wanted a bargain aren't going to suddenly drop huge amounts of money on apps. You sir, have no place at P|C. We don't take kindly to your type around here. People who evaluate events with sound logic, that is.

Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    Welcome to precentral. You're appeals to realism and logic will be frowned upon.
    haha, exactly. By some (maybe most), at least. But not all.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    Quote Originally Posted by reggieb View Post

Huh? There is a big difference between releasing an app that was at least 99% finished when the announcement was made (absent possible contractual obligation as previously mentioned) and starting from scratch.

Are you trying to say that people that wanted a bargain aren't going to suddenly drop huge amounts of money on apps. You sir, have no place at P|C. We don't take kindly to your type around here. People who evaluate events with sound logic, that is.

haha, exactly. By some (maybe most), at least. But not all.
    I normally never feed, but ah, whatever...

Regarding Quick Office...WRONG. DataViz was a launch partner for the Pre and abandoned the platform completely. H*ll they were already an existing and successful partner from PalmOS. So there is no reason QO had to continue anything yet they did.

The app sales...troll much? Not only have there been NUMEROUS posts on P|C regarding the massive dictionary.com spike in app sales but on the dev blogs you can read how they are seeing "the best webOS sales ever" and "sales are up 600%"

Thirdly, the app count is now at 376 and big name devs are publishing apps. Again, when something is over, there is no reason to continue unless it is for value. Nice try though...
    devaluation of webOS comes the devaluation of apps for it. I bought a Dreamcast after it was discontinued, and I expected the games for it to be priced accordingly. If they weren't, I didn't buy them
    That may or may not be true. Personally, I'm up to the $50 mark of apps bought, out of my pocket. No freebies from HP for me, because apparently USA only gets the freebies. (Not bitter, just stating the facts). I also bought mine at full price, and later was matched. If there's decent apps out there, I'll buy them. A couple of bucks here and there, isn't a big deal to me.

It depends on what you're happy with. If you like the TouchPad as is, then you're not going to buy the apps. If you see an app out there that you want, and it's priced at $10 say, and you have no other alternative, then you're going to buy it.

I don't know if you noticed, but I just saw a tweet on Twitter about Samsung showing interest of buying webOS from HP, here's the link:

http://www.scoop.it/t/hp-touchpad/p/...blineindia-com

So I'm not sure how webOS is devalued...TouchPads, maybe. webOS, not so sure yet. I guess we'll see when the bill of sale is announced.
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    I have spent £1.50 on apps, I don't expect to spend any more money than that.
    Depends on your definition of "devalued". $1.99 for an app is nothing to me if it's something I think I'll use and enjoy. We're not talking about $49.99 games here, we're talking about applications that cost less than coffee.
    bmacfarland likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    I don't know if you noticed, but I just saw a tweet on Twitter about Samsung showing interest of buying webOS from HP, here's the link:

Samsung shows interest in buying WebOS from HP | TechBlog - Weblineindia.com | HP Touchpad | Scoop.it
    Just a rumor with no basis in fact. The source for that article? “sources from laptop contestants” whatever the hell that means. This is how rumors work -- you throw something out that there that seems somewhat plausible, and if it happens, you gain credibility, if it doesn't, nothing happens and you report the next rumor.

Samsung is the leading manufacturer of Android phones. They are well aware that Google did not buy Motorola Mobility to compete with Samsung, they just wanted the patents. They aren't dumping Android or sinking money into a two-time loser like webOS.
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by reggieb View Post
    That's not an argument.

If you want to criticize something I have said,then do it.

( Funny thing is, I DO actually run my own successful business )
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    That may seem likely but...

3. The TPad app count before the HP Bomb was in the 330's, it now stands at 368.

"
    Can you quote where you got the numbers for this? Last I saw the count was over 700 TP apps in the catalog.
    If the sales are low, they says "failure".
    If the sales are high, they says "failure".

Well, it's hard to leave everybody happy...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12