Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cmahy
  1.    #1  
    So I just bought a second 32GB Touchpad and want to give my wife the first one. Can I transfer my WebOS account to the new TouchPad? If so, I have some questions:

1) Will my purchase history get transferred?
    2) Will my other accounts/Synergy get transferred?
    3) I assume I will have to re-download all the purchased apps?
    4) What happens to my account on the old TouchPad? Does HP detect a duplicate and lock me out of it on the old one?
    5) What happens to the purchased apps on the old TouchPad? Will they just stop working?

Thanks for any insight you can provide. I know I could avoid this by just putting her own account on the new one and keeping the old for myself, but I'd really like to know what would happen in case of a transfer!
  2.    #2  
    Anyone?
  3.    #3  
    Wow, no one knows? I might have to give out a prize to a good answer!
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    I think it is as easy as making sure your profile is up to date, wipe the first one, log on with the second one. It should automatically d/l the apps you already had. Your accounts should get transferred but you may have to relog in.

There should be a piece of paper with a support # that you can call, while they arent all that informed, their managers can usually get you where youre going.

Don't quote me on any of that, but I believe that is what happens.
    Treo 680, Treo 750, Pre-, Touchpad
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Curious about this as well.
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Here's what I know about this. Please take this with a grain of salt as this is my personal experience with WebOS 1.4.5 vs. what you have (WebOS 3.x).

I would recommend you do the following:
    1. Verify whatever I suggest with someone more up-to-date (just to be sure)
    2. Run the WebOS Backup utility to sync online with your latest status (assuming this tool still exists)
    3. Run PreWare / Go to the 'Saved Package List' and Hit update
    4. Run SaveRestore (assuming it's on the TP) to create a recent backup set
    5. Copy any of your data in the USB Partition of your current touchpad over to a laptop or PC 'just incase' -- make sure this includes SaveRestore
    6. Do a Partial Erase of that TP. This will allow you to log-in with your Wife's Palm Profile vs. yours (begs the question why you're transferring vs. giving her your current one).
    7. On the new TP, log in as your Palm profile & it will start downloading / installing all of your apps based on your profile data
    8. The SaveRestore / PreWare steps above will give you the ability to restore saved game points as well re-install patches quicker if you want.

This is a rough overview. FYI, I put in a bit more data 'back in the day' at the following link:

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...tructions.html

The big point: I don't know of any way to change Palm/WebOS profile other than to start the device from scratch. This is probably by-design to prevent people from buying an app once, yet, allowing multiple users to have it installed.

Good luck & hope this helped somewhat.
    Palm History: Sony Clie T615C --> T|X --> Pre+ --> Pre3 Aspirations -->
    Biggnaa20 likes this.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Be sure your current TP has a recent backup. When you set up your new TP, use the same webOS login as your current one. You'll be given the option to restore the backup onto the new TP. All your apps will automatically be downloaded, and your accounts will be transfered.

As an aside, I bought 3 additional TP's for my family. I used my webOS login for all of them, but opted not to restore any backups to them as I didn't want my accounts transfered. However, all the apps I've downloaded and bought (from the HP App store - not preware) were still downloaded to them all. Cool!
    Quote Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
    So I just bought a second 32GB Touchpad and want to give my wife the first one. Can I transfer my WebOS account to the new TouchPad? If so, I have some questions:

1) Will my purchase history get transferred?
    2) Will my other accounts/Synergy get transferred?
    3) I assume I will have to re-download all the purchased apps?
    4) What happens to my account on the old TouchPad? Does HP detect a duplicate and lock me out of it on the old one?
    5) What happens to the purchased apps on the old TouchPad? Will they just stop working?

Thanks for any insight you can provide. I know I could avoid this by just putting her own account on the new one and keeping the old for myself, but I'd really like to know what would happen in case of a transfer!
    1. Yes.
    2. Yes, sort of. You will have to sign in to each (you will be prompted for this after you've finished the sign-in process).
    3. You'll be given the option to restore the apps from one of your devices. If you pick your first Touchpad, then all the apps from that will be restored (including the paid ones).
    4. It stays. Just don't sign into a pre-2.1 device with the same profile afterwards. WebOS 2.1 and beyond will support multiple devices on the same profile (plus a single pre-2.1 device that is already signed in).
    5. No, they will still work.