Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By johncase3
  1.    #1  
    We lost power at the beginning of Hurricane Irene (NJ). (I had charged up the Touchpad expecting we would lose power.)

I ran generator power to the basement to run the sump pumps. I also powered the FiOS terminal and moved the wireless modem/router to the basement to power it. After all this was set up the Touchpad had internet access.

It was so nice to be able to use the Touchpad anywhere in the house without having to run power to it. If I had used my laptop, netbook or palm pre they would have run down in about an hour.

After 18 hours without power and a lot of surfing to get the latest information about the impact of the storm and the status of family members, the touchpad still had > 50% battery. In fact, it's been 36 hours since the last charge and it still has plenty of battery left.

This Touchpad is AMAZING!!
    Page Plus Cellular - Talk Smart
    Palm M100 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755P > Palm Pro > Palm Pre-
    I had a similar experience. My north-west NJ home was without power for nine hours Sunday. I ran my cable modem and WiFi router off my backup battery, allowing me to use my Touchpad for hours. If the backup battery died, I could have tethered my Touchpad to my Pre Plus.

A dark house, dimly lit by flickering candles, and the screen of a Touchpad.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Were you using one of the replacement kernels or the stock kernel?
    Same here in Boston. We had a few movies, games and access to the web on the TP. Worked out great. Hope everyone survived Irene without issues. Goodbye Irene!!!!
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by cdoty View Post
    Were you using one of the replacement kernels or the stock kernel?
    Stock.

When it's in standby, it seems to use virtually no power at all. Does that mean it stops retrieving email and FB updates? IDK, probably..
    Page Plus Cellular - Talk Smart
    Palm M100 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755P > Palm Pro > Palm Pre-