Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #41  
    Thanks Strodtbeck, eagerly awaiting the results
    OK. . . here's what I've tried thus far. . .
    Default Palm Kernel
    Preware & Govnah installed
    Screen turned low with airplane mode on (WiFi off) Govnah shows a low of about -505ma draw. I used this as my base line to see changes.

Installed patches available for 3.0.2
    see: webOS-Patches Web Portal

I allowed all restarts (full & luna) when asked. Installed required patches one at a time before dependent patch--all apps/patches were installed one at a time and if restart needed it was allowed = lots of luna restarts.

Added Uber-Kernel last--slight voltage change to -515 for either ondemandtcl or ondemand.

All other apps/patches I installed seemed to work fine though I have yet to see what standby power usage is--will let you know in about 10 hours on that.

The order of apps/patches I installed and which ones:
    Preware
    Govnah
    GNU Patch
    Lsdiff
    unhide dev mod icon
    add download link option
    file urls for browsing
    private browsing
    remove clear bookmarks
    default to month view
    no vibrate or sound on message send
    ad blocker
    increase touch sensitivity & smoothness 10
    remove dropped packed logging
    unthrottle download manager
    faster card animations. . .
    homebrew JSJSJS $service$ $framework$
    systoolsmgr service
    advanced reset options
    just charge button label
    remove tap ripple
    file mgr
    internalz pro
    unset cfq io scheduler
    quiet power messages
    reduce min brightness

Uber-Kernel

Thus far everything looks ok. My extra battery drain could have been another app/patch--I had a lot installed. This time I stuck pretty much to the 3.0.2 patches with the exception of adding Internalz Pro and its required packages.

I know the "increase volume" patch increased battery draw by about -100ma thus I didn't try that patch again.

it could be possible that not restarting luna after some patches might cause an issue?
    I have no clue myself.

Will give feedback on the standby power later however, right now everything according to Govnah is reading the same as the TP that only has Govnah+Uber and is doing great.
    wait, so not restarting after installing some patches could kill the battery? I did that :'(

should I remove them all and reinstall them restarting after each one?
    Quote Originally Posted by misterdiapers View Post
    wait, so not restarting after installing some patches could kill the battery? I did that :'(

should I remove them all and reinstall them restarting after each one?
    I don' know if that is the case or not.
    it could have been a different patch or it could be the restart, which would be odd.

I can only go off what I've got going now. Still have yet to see standby power use--that's where it showed up for me the most.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Are you leaving the apps running? Try a hard reboot.

Sent from my EPIC
  6.    #46  
    no muffle system logging?
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthes View Post
    no muffle system logging?
    no
    you don't need it
    just turn off logging via device info setting ;-)
  8.    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by Strodtbeck View Post
    no
    you don't need it
    just turn off logging via device info setting ;-)
    pretty sure the setting just puts logging to a minimum, doesn't turn it off
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthes View Post
    pretty sure the setting just puts logging to a minimum, doesn't turn it off
    the patch sets everything to error
    if you do it directly you can set most to none
    OK
    everything seems to be working with the current setup--no noticeable increase in battery use other than what you would expect with the over clocking.

my battery drain could have been due to a patch I did not install this time or due to how I installed the patches--allowing restart and adding the OC kernel last.

nonetheless, I feel confident with these patches and the process.
    well, it seems one of my devices is doing it again. . . eating double the battery when in standby than what is normal.

Don't know why. The only thing I did was update a preware patch, and I was running the default palm kernel when I did it. Honestly, I give up on this issue. It's things like this that point to just how unfinished the TouchPad and webOS 3 are--we shouldn't have to go to preware to have a fluid device out of the box but we do, and when we do we end up with other issues, thus it just becomes a hassle dealing with the Touchpad. . . will most likely go Android when/if it becomes available if HP doesn't release a stellar update by then.
  12. twe
    Wow just checked mine and idle is close to -800
    Haven't installed much but did go to the UberKernel.....
    make sure the screen brightness is turned down--it uses the most battery. When it is turned as low as possible you should see about -500 draw on the battery when using only govnah.
  14. twe
    ok mine says -508 with brightness at the lowest and wifi off, with wifi on -561..... is that about right? Sorry newbie questions.... with brightness where I like it and wifi on -740.... I take it as being ok?
    Quote Originally Posted by twe View Post
    ok mine says -508 with brightness at the lowest and wifi off, with wifi on -561..... is that about right? Sorry newbie questions.... with brightness where I like it and wifi on -740.... I take it as being ok?
    Yes, that sounds about right if you have not installed the "decrease brightness" patch.
  16. twe
    I have installed the decrease brightness though. Tempted to go back to stock and install a couple of patches along with govnah and see what it says....
    Don't bother doing that. I can tell you what the default is.

Out of the box with Govnah and brightness turned all the way down you will see a -500 for the battery at idle. That's with airplane mode on.

Note, that the decrease brightness patch can turn down the brightness even further but only via the app launcher -> screen & lock.

So, if you are seeing about -500 right now with those setting you are doing OK.
    Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    I'm getting around 500-600 in idle with a relatively low brightness (about 1/3 of the way), WiFi on, and no Govnah. With a browser tab open, around 700-800. Is this normal? I'm a little concerned...

Thanks
    Last edited by EvanKr; 12/24/2011 at 06:06 PM.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123