Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    I don't have my TP with me so I can't test my baseline.

Do you have wifi on?
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  2.    #22  
    doesn't seem to make much of a difference on or off, its crazy I hit -1000 just by having a webpage open and looking at govnah, and the whole touchpad gets really warm
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    what % are those processes?
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
  4.    #24  
    lunasysmgr - 9-11%
    xsdl-7-8%
    hidd-6-7%
    webappmgr-5%
    rest are 3 and below

i don't see any cpu variation, it's either 1.512ghz or 192mhz, is it supposed to scale and jump around at all? seems like it should have more variation based on whats going on other than maximum or minimum clock. im also a bit concerned because i didn't do any conditioning when i first got it, i ran it down from the 75 or so it was at to 30 and charged mostly sporadically since besides testing it
    Last edited by Synthes; 08/29/2011 at 06:20 PM.
    My 32 gb touchpad also seems to exhibit rapid battery consumption. I'm on 3.0.2 68 with uberkernel running 1.5 Ghz. Just having two cards open (govnah and internet) gets an average drain of -750. Even idle, its in the mid 600s. Does this performance seem normal?
    step 1. Remove UberKernel and establish a baseline.
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    step 1. Remove UberKernel and establish a baseline.
    i had removed uberkernel and i didn't see a marginal improvement, not really sure what else i can remove to establish a bottom line for battery life
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    570-650 idle (sit and wait to drop) on user with browser open, govnah, brightness at 1/5.
    About where you guys are but long battery life...?
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
  9.    #29  
    i get 600-750 with no browser, just idling with govnah open,brightness about same as yours
    Last edited by Synthes; 08/29/2011 at 08:46 PM.
  10.    #30  
    I'm assuming there's an optimal setup in the advanced settings, anybody messed with these to find an optimal battery life?
    Noob question here, but how can I monitor battery temp and amount of processor usage etc. Is it an app on preware?
    with 1 webpage open (this site) and gov running my draw avg -530 to 600. On light use (surfing, YouTube, etc) I use 15% battery per hour. I also have the 1.5 oc.
    I can get it down to -546 mA with one Browser card open, minimum brightness, and I'm OC'ed to 1.5ghz if that helps. I don't think -700 to -600 should be normal when idling. :/ You should definitely be seeing more than 3 hours of use out of 70% of your battery, so I think you might have a bad TP.
    I haven't checked my draw yet. But my TP came off the TS 5:30 last night, I did some browsing and e-mail. Updated 4 apps, and downloaded 1 new one. WiFi was on all night with push e-mail. Was off the TS all night as the wifes TP was on the TS. Grabbed the TP to leave the house this morning 6:30 and I was at 85%.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Sounds like some of you have run into the same issue I found.

I've done a bit of testing.

In standby with airplane mode on (WiFi off) I see ~0.167%/hr decrease in battery = default out of the box setting with logging turned off/err.

-450 is the battery drain as seen in Govnah for the default out of the box with logging turned off and sitting idle with screen turned to low.

After adding patches +Uber-Kernel I had 0.5%/hr drain in standby.
    Increase volume pate seemed to add 0.1%/hr ~-100 in Govnah.
    The other two seem to be
    GNU Patch & Lsdiff
    After they were installed the battery pull jumped up from ~-450 to -700+
    0.5%/hr drain while in standby.

Removing them doesn't change the drain. You have to restore the device. At least I haven't found a way to get the battery use back to normal without using webOS Doctor and restoring the device.

I hope someone that knows more can find out what the issue is here.
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by Strodtbeck View Post
    Sounds like some of you have run into the same issue I found.

I've done a bit of testing.

In standby with airplane mode on (WiFi off) I see ~0.167%/hr decrease in battery = default out of the box setting with logging turned off/err.

-450 is the battery drain as seen in Govnah for the default out of the box with logging turned off and sitting idle with screen turned to low.

After adding patches +Uber-Kernel I had 0.5%/hr drain in standby.
    Increase volume pate seemed to add 0.1%/hr ~-100 in Govnah.
    The other two seem to be
    GNU Patch & Lsdiff
    After they were installed the battery pull jumped up from ~-450 to -700+
    0.5%/hr drain while in standby.

Removing them doesn't change the drain. You have to restore the device. At least I haven't found a way to get the battery use back to normal without using webOS Doctor and restoring the device.

I hope someone that knows more can find out what the issue is here.
    the only things out of those I have are uberkernel and performance patches installed, I have like 30 apps installed so I'm not incredibly keen on a complete reformat. Did you notice whether it was the prepare tweaks, uberkernel, or both that increased the draw? Everyone and their mom has the prepare patches, and not everyone has this problem so it seems uberkernel may be to blame..
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthes View Post
    the only things out of those I have are uberkernel and performance patches installed, I have like 30 apps installed so I'm not incredibly keen on a complete reformat. Did you notice whether it was the prepare tweaks, uberkernel, or both that increased the draw? Everyone and their mom has the prepare patches, and not everyone has this problem so it seems uberkernel may be to blame..
    uber-kernel seem ok for me' it does increase the draw slightly, but very little from what I can see.

for me the issue came up when I installed patches that required the gnu & Lsdiff--they are required by many of the patches. This was true on both devices.

I have not tested the patches without an oc kernel--since that's the main thing I need. So it could be some conflict between the new kernel & the patches. I did test uber & f15c--same result with both.

the big issue really is, webOS has no good battery monitoring app that breaks battery use down by each app.

finding out what the problem for me was a pain. I've done several restores on these two. Now I'm sticking with the minimal--turn logging off, add preware +govnah +uber-kernel . . . leaving off the other patches till devs have more time with the touchpad.

wish I had a better suggestion than a restore 'n adding minimal patches at a time while monitoring the battery. . . But I don't.
  18.    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by Strodtbeck View Post
    uber-kernel seem ok for me' it does increase the draw slightly, but very little from what I can see.

for me the issue came up when I installed patches that required the gnu & Lsdiff--they are required by many of the patches. This was true on both devices.

I have not tested the patches without an oc kernel--since that's the main thing I need. So it could be some conflict between the new kernel & the patches. I did test uber & f15c--same result with both.

the big issue really is, webOS has no good battery monitoring app that breaks battery use down by each app.

finding out what the problem for me was a pain. I've done several restores on these two. Now I'm sticking with the minimal--turn logging off, add preware +govnah +uber-kernel . . . leaving off the other patches till devs have more time with the touchpad.

wish I had a better suggestion than a restore 'n adding minimal patches at a time while monitoring the battery. . . But I don't.
    What preware apps are you running, assuming you're getting good battery life now? I'm willing to doctor and install what I need if my palm profile saves all my apps. And what apps rely on those 2 things that cause the drain so myself and others can avoid installing them until they're fixed?
    Last edited by Synthes; 08/30/2011 at 10:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthes View Post
    What preware apps are you running, assuming you're getting good battery life now? I'm willing to doctor and install what I need if my palm profile saves all my apps. And what apps rely on those 2 things that cause the drain so myself and others can avoid installing them until they're fixed?
    Right now I'm runing Govnah +Uber-Kernel Ondemand 192-1.5 with good battery use in general and standby is looking great.
    Other preware installed
    add launcher tabs
    homebrew JSJSJS $service$ $framework$
    hulu fix
    FileMgr
    Internalz Pro

There are a lot of patches I would like to use but they rely on GNU Patch & Lsdiff and those may be causing my extra battery drain.
    Any time you go to install a patch in Preware it will tell you if the patch requires other packages. Just click the "view them" to see if those are the two required--they generally are.
    update
    rob on this thread
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...ml#post3120299

states that the gnu patch & lsdiff can't be the cause of the drain, thus most likely a patch that uses them.

I'll install just those two one one tp today and watch what it does--reportable ASAP.

update:
    installed the two patches on a clean tp
    initial govnah battery current shows no change.
    this is a good sign since so many other patches rely on those two.
    I'll add one patch at a time to see if I can find the culprit(s).
    Last edited by Strodtbeck; 08/31/2011 at 09:32 AM. Reason: update
    Synthes likes this.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast