Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. federaly's Avatar
    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
       #1  
    Hi All,

    Please feel free to move/edit/delete if I have incorrectly created this thread.

    Problem:
    I have gone into "email" > "Preferences & Accounts" > "Add Account" > "Microsoft Exchange"

    Following on from that I enter my correct server/domain details as required.

    I am constantly encountering a "bad username/password" error-1000 HTTP500.

    I went to my IT area and we double checked all the details and they are correct. I even quickly set it up on my personal "Windows Phone 7" and it worked first go...

    1)My details 100% correct
    2)HP Touchpad 3.0.2 with all patches installed.
    3)No blocking on my IT side of things.

    I'm lost...please help me...
    HTC HD7 > HTC Mozart > Apple iPhone 4> Blackberry 9000 - HTC Desire > HTC Touch Diamond 2 < Nokia N95-3

    Scored a Touchpad 32GB - Keen to see development in that space!
  2. LurkerX's Avatar
    Posts
    357 Posts
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    #2  
    Go into the manual settings and try setting the domain as just the generic word 'Domain', and for your username use a combination of your actual domain and username 'yourdomain\yourusername'.
  3. federaly's Avatar
    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
       #3  
    Tried that and every which way combination.

    I don't know what the G O is. Maybe I'll have it setup through my gmail

    I searched through the forum before, I couldn't see any similar problems. Has anyone else seen similar issues?
    HTC HD7 > HTC Mozart > Apple iPhone 4> Blackberry 9000 - HTC Desire > HTC Touch Diamond 2 < Nokia N95-3

    Scored a Touchpad 32GB - Keen to see development in that space!
  4. #4  
    Hmm, that is strange. I've found my touchpad to be more forgiving when it comes to ActiveSync than most other devices. You might try using the fully qualified domain name (e.g. "domain.companyname.com" instead of just "domain").
  5. federaly's Avatar
    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
       #5  
    I have attached the message I am getting continually from the device.

    It doesn't even mention "domain" and the such.

    I removed my name in case some people thought I left it actually blank like that...

    I'm going to contact HP as well :|
    Attached Images Attached Images
    HTC HD7 > HTC Mozart > Apple iPhone 4> Blackberry 9000 - HTC Desire > HTC Touch Diamond 2 < Nokia N95-3

    Scored a Touchpad 32GB - Keen to see development in that space!
  6. #6  
    A few things to try:

    -try using your full email address as the username and leaving the domain blank

    -I know this sounds stupid but when you enter your password make sure the uppercase is uppercase and lowercase is lowercase. I used to work in IT and that was 99% of the problems when you get the "bad username or password" messages

    Not sure if these will help but I guess its worth a shot!
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by federaly View Post
    I have attached the message I am getting continually from the device.

    It doesn't even mention "domain" and the such.

    I removed my name in case some people thought I left it actually blank like that...

    I'm going to contact HP as well :|
    Your mail server ends with .internal. You need to use the external DNS hostname or external IP address.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by rstark View Post
    Your mail server ends with .internal. You need to use the external DNS hostname or external IP address.
    I just noticed that too. In order to use .internal, you'll need to vpn in first (if your company has it). .internal is not a public DNS entry but rather one that your local DNS Server is publishing (behind firewalls).


    When you do get this resolved, let me know if you get the calendar to work. While I can get mail and even the Calendar names, I cannot see any entries on my Exchange calendar.
  9. #9  
    I am having similar issues to federaly and I have tried seemingly every conceivable way to enter in my credentials. To test I even had a co workers ipad and it synced up no problem. Depending on the way I put my credentials in I will either receive a 500, a 440, or a 401 error. Unlike federaly however I am using our company's external address which has been tested to work on an ipad as well as a work laptop using Outlook client from outside of the company. Not sure what else I can try before hitting a full factory reset just to ensure everything I can do to try and make this work. Any other ideas would be most welcome!
  10. federaly's Avatar
    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
       #10  
    Yeah so still no luck. Weird because to be sure we opened a new iPad2 and input the setting side by side and the iPad2 worked first go and I got the same issue that I've been continually getting

    Doesn't kill not having as the device isn't 3G D: but it would make it more productive product because otherwise...I love this thing
    HTC HD7 > HTC Mozart > Apple iPhone 4> Blackberry 9000 - HTC Desire > HTC Touch Diamond 2 < Nokia N95-3

    Scored a Touchpad 32GB - Keen to see development in that space!

Posting Permissions