Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By decalex
  1.    #1  
    Am I missing something in bing maps? The search is, at some times, terrible. There's very little listed on the map, and what is there can't be selected or clicked for information. Despite being smooth and good-looking, it seems useless, and that's with me being used to google maps on the Pre.

The "real" bing maps (Bing Maps - driving directions, routes, and traffic) has a great search when i use the exact same terms and useful information, why can't this show up on on the touchpad version?

Or am I just missing something...
    Quote Originally Posted by mostlyharmless42 View Post
    Am I missing something in bing maps? The search is, at some times, terrible. There's very little listed on the map, and what is there can't be selected or clicked for information. Despite being smooth and good-looking, it seems useless, and that's with me being used to google maps on the Pre.

The "real" bing maps (Bing Maps - driving directions, routes, and traffic) has a great search when i use the exact same terms and useful information, why can't this show up on on the touchpad version?

I found the same thing. I search for McDonalds in Colorado and it sends me to North Carolina for a McDonalds. ***?
    Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mostlyharmless42 View Post
    Yes, we all are. Google Maps.
    sledge007 likes this.
    any way to set google map as default?
    yea...crazy thing but I also have a PrPrPr&#$275$; $minus$ $and$ $think$ $gmaps$ $is$ $a$ $little$ $better$ $then$ $bing$ $maps$
    http://forums.webosnation.com/members/stargate-albums-my-pre-picture960-moving-pre.gif
    Quote Originally Posted by SandraW View Post
    no... the crazy thing is that my iPad 2 has Google Maps,
    but my Touchpad has the lousy Bing Maps...

I really don't understand why HP couldn't get Google Maps.
    Even Apple(competitor to Androd tablets) can get Google Maps....

How crazy is that? Did someone at HP say "Bing Maps is better
    so we're going with it" or did HP and Microsoft have some sort
    of financial arrangement?
    Microsoft paid more.
    It appears that the Bing Maps app limits itself to the nearest 10 places. What it does have on the Google Maps app for webOS is that the thing actually loads in just a few seconds as opposed to some 20 odd seconds. It is also very quick and easy to get directions, and is infinitely more usable when I go to pull up an address from contacts or a website and the app actually displays the location relatively quickly. Google Maps was always a dog, and Google seemed to have no interest in fixing it.
    I'm not near my TP so i can't try it, but Google maps has a web based version that might work. http://maps.google.com/
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    How do I use Bing Maps on my Touchpad when I'm in my car?
    My phone can be set up as a Wi-Fi router...
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyfingers View Post
    I'm not near my TP so i can't try it, but Google maps has a web based version that might work. Google Maps
    I just tried. It is not smooth at all. And you cannot use pinch zoom.
    wait.... I have 3G on my iPad 2, so Google Maps runs fine when I'm in my car.

How do I use Bing Maps on my Touchpad when I'm in my car?
    You would need to use have a phone that can be setup as a hotspot. I have a Pre 2 and a Touchstone mounted in my car, so I would just activated Free Tether and hook the TouchPad up to that.

Too have the same portability as your 3G iPad2 you would need the 4G TouchPad.
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    Hi,

you cat try to go to this url Google Maps and save it as a launcher icon. This should give you nearly the same interface as the Pre app had.
    The Pre app was only a wrapper around this URL

HaPe