Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
    this may have been explained earlier, but does Kalemsoft use hardware acceleration or no?

I'm still trying to find the best method of converting my vast 1080p .MKV library to work smoothly on the touchpad. Handbreak/Freemake VC work excellent for my .MOV home videos, but I can't catch a break on my movie library. Everything is High@4.1 DxVA compatible with mostly DTS-MA or DTS sound.

Since I want to put a lot of movies on my 32gig touchpad, I'm gonna be shrinking them down anyways to save on size. I might as well shrink them to a format that enables for hardware accelerated playback because that undoubtedly would increase battery life.
    Quote Originally Posted by drfp View Post
    You know all this is cool and you should be able to play HD movies but and big but here

HD movies start at 4gb and many are 8 to 12 to 16gb The Pad is only 16 and 32gb I do not have the room for HD videos

Avi and MP4 that are 700mb and less then 2gb

So you can rip a movie with a fee program down to these sizes more practical for taken a few movies with you.
    Read post #6. idk about you, but my i7 clocked @ 4.0 ghz takes 18 minutes to convert a 46 min video... So, imagine how long it would take for people with hundreds of 2 hour movies....

Quote Originally Posted by MrJspeed View Post
    this may have been explained earlier, but does Kalemsoft use hardware acceleration or no?

I'm still trying to find the best method of converting my vast 1080p .MKV library to work smoothly on the touchpad. Handbreak/Freemake VC work excellent for my .MOV home videos, but I can't catch a break on my movie library. Everything is High@4.1 DxVA compatible with mostly DTS-MA or DTS sound.

Since I want to put a lot of movies on my 32gig touchpad, I'm gonna be shrinking them down anyways to save on size. I might as well shrink them to a format that enables for hardware accelerated playback because that undoubtedly would increase battery life.
    I doubt it. I don't think the Touchpad has licensed drivers for hardware acceleration for .mkv, .avi, and other formats. The only format that may be hardware accelerated is h.263 or h.264 codec in a MP4 container.
  3.    #43  
    You know all this is cool and you should be able to play HD movies but and big but here

HD movies start at 4gb and many are 8 to 12 to 16gb The Pad is only 16 and 32gb I do not have the room for HD videos

So you can rip a movie with a fee program down to these sizes more practical for taken a few movies with you.
    Don't make the mistake of thinking what is practical for YOU is practical for everyone Of course if you have the means to get something smaller, you should do it but that situation doesn't work for everyone.

Not only that, some of your facts are a bit off:

1) You completely forgot streaming! Many of us can and will stream content from out home networks where size on the Touchpad isn't an issue.
    2) There are indeed 720P movies under 4GB, even as small as 2GB released from various scenes. But you're right that most are fairly large and not ideal for copying (see streaming above).
    3) Movies are not the only thing people would watch. Many people watch TV shows that are well under 4GB. A half hour 720P TV show can be as little as 500MB allowing a user to copy a a dozen of them with ease for viewing on a trip, the couch or wherever. That's exactly what someone above wanted it for and what I'll use it for. I have hundreds of TV shows in 720p. It'd take a year to convert it all!

I could go on and on but I don't think that's necessary. Just knowing the hardware truly does what it's supposed to do (on paper) is a big sigh of relief
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by kpopsaranghaex3 View Post
    I doubt it. I don't think the Touchpad has licensed drivers for hardware acceleration for .mkv, .avi, and other formats. The only format that may be hardware accelerated is h.263 or h.264 codec in a MP4 container.
    In my limited research I think you're right. I haven't read anything that says otherwise at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by morydees View Post
    In my limited research I think you're right. I haven't read anything that says otherwise at least.
    From my previous devices, the only formats that are hardware accelerated are the ones the phone/tablet can play without any additional software.
  6.    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by kpopsaranghaex3 View Post
    From my previous devices, the only formats that are hardware accelerated are the ones the phone/tablet can play without any additional software.
    Which basically boils down to .MP4 as you said. Makes sense!
    ok, my touchpad has a few patches, but its not OC. With the paid version, 720p movies (1.5 gig) are a little choppy and the audio is out of sync and its sounds like in slow motion. With this version I guess beta, the audio is louder, its in sync playback is smooth. This is a better option to me at playing 720p. I used the touchpad buttons for audio. I will stream some 1080p now and report later.
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    You have to stream in HD? ANd are there not other programs that handle this?

I will wait till there is a patch on pre ware I think
    music playback Is poor with garbled video and no album art.
    re-encoded bluray videos played great.

Which free program do you use?
    Thanks for this. Will be following it as soon as I get my hands on touchpad.
    Please edit your first post and change cpu frequency from mhz to GHz.

Sent from my GT-I5700 using Tapatalk
  12.    #52  
    You have to stream in HD? ANd are there not other programs that handle this?

I will wait till there is a patch on pre ware I think
    Yes, unless I want to convert 500GB worth of TV shows and then stream them. Why convert/re-encode when the hardware should be more than capable to run it as is?

Not to mention the native player only plays .MP4s whereas KalemSoft plays all the normal formats. No one is saying you guys have to do this, I'm just offering up the option as there are a dozen threads about video playback
  13.    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by A.VOID68 View Post
    music playback Is poor with garbled video and no album art.
    re-encoded bluray videos played great.
    I don't understand. What kind of files are you playing, did you do the Patch/Overclock and are you running the Beta version of Kalem?

Quote Originally Posted by lovleshgarg89 View Post
    Thanks for this. Will be following it as soon as I get my hands on touchpad.
    Please edit your first post and change cpu frequency from mhz to GHz.
    My pleasure and oops, I'll fix that. Old habit
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    why are you wanting to play 720p video on a display thY is 1024x768? That makes the CPU work hard for no reason.
    You know, technically, 720p is only 1280x720. That's not a far cry off from the maximum resolution of the touchpad @ 1024x768.

So, if you already had 720P files, they would be almost identical in "difficulty to play" to a video ripped at the max resolution of the touchpad, and would effectively look identical when played, making it a waste of time to re-encode them specifically for the touchpad.

Now, running a 1080P file on the touchpad is just silly-talk, but I can totally understand why someone would want smooth 720P playback.
  15.    #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    You know, technically, 720p is only 1280x720. That's not a far cry off from the maximum resolution of the touchpad @ 1024x768.

So, if you already had 720P files, they would be almost identical in "difficulty to play" to a video ripped at the max resolution of the touchpad, and would effectively look identical when played, making it a waste of time to re-encode them specifically for the touchpad.

Now, running a 1080P file on the touchpad is just silly-talk, but I can totally understand why someone would want smooth 720P playback.
    Whoa, the Touchpad guide-master himself! Thanks for all your updates and info in that thread

And you're dead on about the usefulness. 1080p is a bit silly but 720 is so close to ideal it's not worth re-encoding, especially if you have dozens.
    With a decent computer and Freemake Video Converter, setting up batch conversions is easy and you can get TONS of stuff done in just one night. If you are really so lazy that you want to OC your Touchpad (which uses more battery and is less stable), then use up MORE of your Touchpad's space so it can play files BIGGER than its screen resolution (which will again strain the CPU/GPU and use more battery) then I guess this is a good solution. But between the time you wait to transfer over files that are 5x bigger and the time it takes to install all this overclocking crap I hardly see it really being that much of a time saver.

I for one dont need the best quality. Its a 1024x768 screen for godsakes. Just get some low quality rips and throw a ton of stuff on there.
    Quote Originally Posted by racingfreak92 View Post
    With a decent computer and Freemake Video Converter, setting up batch conversions is easy and you can get TONS of stuff done in just one night. If you are really so lazy that you want to OC your Touchpad (which uses more battery and is less stable), then use up MORE of your Touchpad's space so it can play files BIGGER than its screen resolution (which will again strain the CPU/GPU and use more battery) then I guess this is a good solution. But between the time you wait to transfer over files that are 5x bigger and the time it takes to install all this overclocking crap I hardly see it really being that much of a time saver.

I for one dont need the best quality. Its a 1024x768 screen for godsakes. Just get some low quality rips and throw a ton of stuff on there.
    First off, most of the OC kernels don't raise voltages, so there should be no battery difference.
    Secondly, these CPU's are meant to run @ 1.5 Ghz to begin with. A little 200 Mhz overclock is nothing.
    Third, when you convert video files, lowering resolution doesn't save as much space as lowering bitrate. If you lower resolution and keeping the same bitrate, you are barely saving any space at all lol. Especially when the change is from 720p to 1024x768... Very small change in resolution. Just because you don't value high quality videos, doesn't mean that other people don't.
  18.    #58  
    Well I'm glad most of you see the benefit of this.

Obviously the goal is to not have to overclock but since many of us do, this is my target audience. Until we get a patch/update it's an option.
    Quote Originally Posted by morydees View Post
    Youtube video showing playback and such. Again, quality doesn't come through via my camera but it explains what's going on and shows it playing smooth.

I work for the MPAA, You will be contacted soon.... That movie your playing doesn't come out for a few more weeks.

EDIT.. ok just joking.. lol
    Last edited by djphatjive; 08/29/2011 at 10:27 AM.
    I tried loading a a 24 min 720p video and the audio was way out of sync. The video played back fine though.

I have mine OC'd to 1.7 with F15C.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast