Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by kpopsaranghaex3 View Post
    With a dual core processor, the only reason why the Touchpad struggles is because the non-native video formats are not GPU accelerated. Even so, with pure CPU power alone, it should be able to play 720p HD videos with up to 10kbps bitrate fairly easily.

Also, for the sake of experimenting, can you try out 1080p video playback? I would do it myself, but I'm still waiting for my Touchpad to arrive

Lastly, what bitrate were the videos you tested?
    Good to know! I'm not too technical with videos (I just get them to play) so that's great information. The bitrate on the videos I tried varied between 4100 and 6000. [edit: the one that stuttered was just over 8k, maybe it was just too much?]

As far as 1080P, that's more difficult because the Touchpad is FAT32 and doesn't allow files over 4GB. I'll see if I can find something I can trim down or split up and give it a go.
    Last edited by morydees; 08/28/2011 at 07:45 PM.
    oh wait, the first link doesn't work. the download is just 1kb. even from my pc.
    megaupload works
    Quote Originally Posted by morydees View Post
    Good to know! I'm not too technical with videos (I just get them to play) so that's great information.

As far as 1080P, that's more difficult because the Touchpad is FAT32 and doesn't allow files over 4GB. I'll see if I can find something I can trim down or split up and give it a go.
    Can you cut a clip of a 1080p video and see if it works? I still think this is a huge issue with drivers. Since H.263 and H.264 are native codecs supported by the Touchpad, I would assume with a CPU + GPU this powerful, all MP4 files would play really smoothly.
    Last edited by kpopsaranghaex3; 08/28/2011 at 07:51 PM.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by mkln View Post
    oh wait, the first link doesn't work. the download is just 1kb. even from my pc.
    megaupload works
    Looks like Kalem may have pulled it, which is a shame because we can help test it. I'll reverse the links so the mirror is on top, thanks!
  5.    #25  
    Can you cut a clip of a 1080p video and see if it works? I still think this is a huge issue with drivers. Since H.263 and H.264 are native codecs supported by the Touchpad, I would assume with a CPU + GPU this powerful, all MP4 files would play really smoothly.
    Working on that right now. I also edited my above post with the bitrates that worked for me.
    I run HD(720p) content on my touchpad all the time. Using kalemsoft media player and .avi's. I have no issues what so ever, and I never even overclocked anything. Also you are claiming that you can play a 720p 4gb file but since the fat32 file system only supports a max of 2gb files I'm interested in how you did that. Did you reformat the drive to use NTFS or Ext3? For all my HD files I had to split them up if they were bigger then 2gb's.

-Toaster
    PrinceAlbert likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by toasterthegamer View Post
    I run HD(720p) content on my touchpad all the time. Using kalemsoft media player and .avi's. I have no issues what so ever, and I never even overclocked anything. Also you are claiming that you can play a 720p 4gb file but since the fat32 file system only supports a max of 2gb files I'm interested in how you did that. Did you reformat the drive to use NTFS or Ext3? For all my HD files I had to split them up if they were bigger then 2gb's.

-Toaster
    EDIT: what version of kalemsoft are you using?
    Last edited by kpopsaranghaex3; 08/28/2011 at 08:09 PM.
  8.    #28  
    Could you test some other video containers, such as mp4 and mkv, and see if they work? Also, what version of kalemsoft are you using?
    All of that is in the first post. .MP4/.WMV/.MKV testing all there and the beta version number 0.6.3. I'll have a Youtube of a 1080P playback up shortly for you too
    All of that is in the first post. .MP4/.WMV/.MKV testing all there and the beta version number 0.6.3. I'll have a Youtube of a 1080P playback up shortly for you too
    I was mainly asking what version of kalemsoft he was using because some of the playback issues may have started on the newer versions.

Plus, thanks for the 1080p playback video
    The 720p mkv was a bit out of sync but only for audio. The video wasn't choppy at all. I'm also using the latest Kalemsoft media player from the app cat.
    Checked the app manager and it says its version 3.4.
    The 720p mkv was a bit out of sync but only for audio. The video wasn't choppy at all. I'm also using the latest Kalemsoft media player from the app cat.
    I guess the devs broke smooth video playback as they tried to fix the audio sync issues in the newer versions. Let's hope they can get this all fixed :]
    actually I found the ad blocker (and max blocker) patch was the reason why IMDB videos weren't playing. I removed the patch n now its fine. I wish these patches weren't thinking these videos are ads.
  14.    #34  
    I was mainly asking what version of kalemsoft he was using because some of the playback issues may have started on the newer versions.

Plus, thanks for the 1080p playback video
    Oops, I didn't realize you were asking him for that part. My bad! Youtube video is almost done...here's an early hint: IT ACTUALLY WORKED
  15.    #35  
    Yep, that was the main problem I had with the HP App store version (3.4). Seems they've definitely improved audio now! Great job KalemSoft!

Quote Originally Posted by next_milenium View Post
    actually I found the ad blocker (and max blocker) patch was the reason why IMDB videos weren't playing. I removed the patch n now its fine. I wish these patches weren't thinking these videos are ads.
    Ah that makes way more sense! So playback is still good on your 720P stuff?
    Oops, I didn't realize you were asking him for that part. My bad! Youtube video is almost done...here's an early hint: IT ACTUALLY WORKED
    YEAH! :O TBH, i would be disappointed if a dual core can't play 1080p video... :/
  17.    #37  
    Here's the 1080P clip test. It actually worked pretty well at 10mb bitrate. Here's the Youtube video of it and MediaInfo with bitrate:

General
    Unique ID : 208819530337521785674174914236469725716 (0x9D192DBBAD9AD10A92F0391131D7CA14)
    Complete name : D:\Sin City 2005 Extended 1080p BluRay DTS.mkv
    Format : Matroska
    File size : 49.4 MiB
    Duration : 40s 934ms
    Overall bit rate : 10.1 Mbps
    Encoded date : UTC 2011-08-29 01:05:15
    Writing application : AVSMatroskaFile
    Writing library : libebml v0.7.7 + libmatroska v0.8.1
    Nice, can't wait to get my Touchpad and try some stuff out!
    Cant thank you enough! I've been converting mkv's all DAY today! Works perfectly Now I can finally watch my full 5 seasons of The Wire haha. Starting with episode one. I hope its a good series, never seen a single episode.

Back on topic, thank you very much OP.
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    First off, there's NO GUARANTEE this will work for you but I'm hoping others can try it so we can verify. It's very early and involves a beta program so please report back if you try it, good or bad! I'll answer any questions I can.

1.7mhz OC'd/patched Touchpad + beta version 0.3.6 KalemSoft Media Player = smooth 720P .MKV/.MP4/.WMV playback for me.
    [edit: Reportedly 1.5mhz overclock is very close to smooth, may have audio issues. Need more testers!]

You know all this is cool and you should be able to play HD movies but and big but here

HD movies start at 4gb and many are 8 to 12 to 16gb The Pad is only 16 and 32gb I do not have the room for HD videos

Avi and MP4 that are 700mb and less then 2gb

So you can rip a movie with a fee program down to these sizes more practical for taken a few movies with you.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast