Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree33Likes
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    I have had ios and android devices but never webos prior to the touchpad. I think webos is pretty good. I just think that at least on the touchpad, the OS needs some work to make it great. I love the cards/multi tasking. It is by far the best multi tasking on any os. The whole design of the operating system is very nice and simple. I have the following issues with it:

1. Browser - it is decent but there are little things like not being able to reorder your bookmarks
    2. Ebook reader - There is nothing good out now that you can put existing books on. Kindle won't let you put your personal library on it, preader is not very good, and the pdf reader is okay if your text size is large but you can't even bookmark a page.
    3. Apps - Some people blow this off but the apps available are really weak. With that said, I would give up all new apps just to have a netflix app.
    4. Speed/optimization - I'm grateful for all the patches and overclocking to take this tablet from being so slow. However, this is something that HP should have already corrected. Did HP not test the touchpad before releasing it? Did they not know about its issues?

With that said, I paid $149 for a 32gb model. I am not in a tablet market at $500. I would rather buy a laptop at $500 or less. But at $149, it is a great price for a tablet that surfs the internet pretty well and does flash. I personally think that Android is just okay. I think the quality of the OS is not there yet. I think that Apple has done a good job of maintaining high quality with ios. At this moment, webos is probably closer to the Android in that the quality is just not there yet but has lots of potential. If webos gets some updates and a ton of apps, it would be just as good, if not better, as ios.

With all this said, this is my personal opinion so don't get all ****ed off. Some people get so offended if you say anything negative about an OS they love.
    k4ever likes this.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    I am a former iPhone and Blackberry user. I still use my old iphone as an iPod. I am really impressed with WebOs and I like it a lot. I don't really notice the 'sluggishness' that other users are reporting, but maybe my expectations aren't as high. *shrugs*

I like WebOs so much that I went out and snagged a Palm Pre 2 to replace my Blackberry and I love it so far. Even if WebOs died today, never to come back or be updated, I would be happy with my purchases.
    I'm a Windows Phone 7 user coming from my (always hated) iPhone and before that a Windows Mobile which I loved, and I also love very deeply the simplicity of the new WP7 platform. I bought a HP TouchPad without ever using a WebOS device and I love it, and for the price there is definitely nothing I would ever change it for. However, when the Windows 7 tablets come out I will be first in line for sure, pending they have a hardware design I do decide on during pilot release.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    While I love Apple products (lol) Touchpad is proving to not only an incredible bargain but gives you what Apple refuses to
    Full web browsing like my laptop on the tablet.

one thing I do not like about Apple is they try to convince adopters that if Apple doesn't do it you do not need it.

The touchpad needs further updates though

I think after a little refinement it could be a real contender

(posted with my touchpad)
    Quote Originally Posted by drfp View Post
    While I love Apple products (lol) Touchpad is proving to not only an incredible bargain but gives you what Apple refuses to
    Full web browsing like my laptop on the tablet.

one thing I do not like about Apple is they try to convince adopters that if Apple doesn't do it you do not need it.

The touchpad needs further updates though

I think after a little refinement it could be a real contender

(posted with my touchpad)
    This is why I chose webOS over iOS years ago.

-You can mount the device like a portable hard drive. No having to use itunes. That means when I put stuff on my phone I can take it off later as is.

-Openness to modify, hack the OS. Themes, patches galore. I dont feel like I am using Steve Job's phone, this is MY device. To the point that WebOS invited homebrew developer Rod Whitby to speak at an event. Apple on the other hand tried to get homebrew devs for iOS arrested.

-No hoops for developers to jump through to start making apps

-Flash in browser.

-No shutting down competitive apps like Grooveshark etc.

-Beta/Unofficial Apps can be installed from websites etc without hacking or putting the phone into developer mode. Developers dont HAVE to put their app in the app catalog if they dont want to.

-No bias towards one phone company. (although this has changed with the iphone4 on verizon) Unlocked devices available.

Plus an intuitive and elegant phone OS to top it all off.

I dont want to get all political but this is why I wanted to see webOS succeed; technology is our future and these ecosystems we use casually now will become a way of life for us. This is the new frontier and I feel that Apples closed way of working is parallel to a technocratic dictatorship. While Google started out pretty open I feel like they are becoming more and more closed with every day.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    Apple on the other hand tried to get homebrew devs for iOS arrested.
    Since you tossed this out there, any evidence for this claim? I remember a guy getting arrested for jail breaking a PS3, but I don't recall Apple at any point pursuing criminal action against any jail breakers?
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    I've had previous experiences with webOS using my wife's Pre (Sprint). While the hardware for the Pre was a complete and utter POS, I found the OS to be user friendly and the introduction of true multi-tasking was a great feature. I thought at the time is why is this now coming out?

I've had BBs and currently own an Android device. I jumped ship to Android because the features/apps was what I was looking for however I did have a guilty feeling about it. The Curve (Sprint) was one of the best devices I've ever owned next to my Motorola Timeport.

When I first got my Android I was both ecstatic and disappointed. I was amazed by the pretty colors and apps and smh at the performance. The battery would not last for more than 8 hours or so. Coming from a BB where the phone would be on stand by for 3 days even with phone and web usage, this was not a good start. I started reading more to understand how the OS works and was able to tweak the phone without rooting and it would last 17+ hours a day with usage. It wasn't until the release of Froyo I decided to root the phone and was completely satisfied after removing Sprint's BS from it. BUT it still lacked the multi-tasking.

I bought my wife the 32GB TP at the end of July / beginning of August for our anniversary. She is a die hard Palm fan and I knew it would be something she would put to good use and have fun as well. I was impressed with the display, ease of use and once again the multi-tasking. The stability of the OS and battery life was also impressive. LOL, I even asked to borrow it for show and tell at work. It was at 100% and after 4-5 hours of light-medium use with co-workers experimenting the battery was only at 89%. I always said that I would not mind getting a 64GB if HP releases it here.

Before the inferno, I was contemplating a Playbook. That soon went out the window once I heard of HP's plans. If this is happening to webOS, I can only imagine what will happen with RIM. IMO, RIM is/was now doing what Palm did 5 years ago. And HP was late in the game joining Android and iOS. IMO, HP seemed to follow a path similar to Apple which turned me away from the TP at this point.

During the inferno, I was lucky to score a 64GB model. See here. So far I am quite pleased with it just as I was with my wife's. I plan to leave it as webOS and possibly put X-Server on it. I will not deface the product with Android.

There some dislikes however -
    •No HDMI out
    •No DRM
    •Weight
    •No tabbed browsing, only multiple cards
    •Bookmarks
    •No rear camera
    •The processor runs fine on 1.5gHz, why not make the 16GB and 32GB or just the 16GB 1.5gHz to begin with and offer incentives to higher models?
    •Searching in PDFs

Kudos to my bro-in-law. He purchased a Transformer and TP and gave me a detailed comparison on both. His words certainly played a role in my consideration for a TP.

Just a side note, a lot of people purchased this device under the fire sale because of the price and probably would not have considered a webOS device if their life depended on it. They wanted a tablet just to say I have a tablet. If your main complaint is about the lack of apps in the app store, what else did you expect?
    hobotheclown likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_lha View Post
    Since you tossed this out there, any evidence for this claim? I remember a guy getting arrested for jail breaking a PS3, but I don't recall Apple at any point pursuing criminal action against any jail breakers?
    I cant find what I was quoting but a long time ago an article on precentral was saying how HP was flying rod whitby to the WebOS dev event in new york while Apple was trying to sue one of the jailbreak leaders...

cant find it now of course...bah.

Apple: iPhone Jailbreak hack violates the law - Computerworld

But it seems they have very recently changed their tune:

Apple hires JailBreakMe iPhone hacker - iPhone app article - Phil Hornshaw | Appolicious ™ iPhone and iPad App Directory

Although I dont think it really was their choice

U.S. Declares iPhone Jailbreaking Legal, Over Apple
    iOS and Android present two opposing points of view on how to interact with tablets. iOS has met it's goals and is mostly fleshed out according to those goals; Android has momentum and low cost on its side.

webOS is teetering right now. 3.0 looks slick, but it's so basic, missing so many things that I would expect in a tabletOS or to come with it, that if I do recommend the TouchPad to others, it will be with qualifications, and only to certain techie types. This is not a tablet to simply give to the grandparents with no instructions.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSpike View Post
    webOS is teetering right now. 3.0 looks slick, but it's so basic, missing so many things that I would expect in a tabletOS or to come with it, that if I do recommend the TouchPad to others, it will be with qualifications, and only to certain techie types. This is not a tablet to simply give to the grandparents with no instructions.
    I've only used iOS and Gingerbread and I think webOS has the best interface among the three. I'm actually planning on getting a couple more to give to my grandmothers for Skype.
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSpike View Post
    This is not a tablet to simply give to the grandparents with no instructions.
    Funny you'd mention that. I let my dad use my wife's and he was on the web in no time. No questions asked. All I had to do was show him where the button was to minimize the cards (as i explained it). Navigation for him was quite easy.

And this the guy who called me every time he wanted to watch a dvd and know what channel to put the tv on.
    Let me start by saying, I had the original Sprint Pre on launch day (2 years ago now?). I always liked WebOS, it suffered from apps in the beginning, but I expected that. But in the end, I was eventually soured by constant crappy hardware (I had 5 phones in 12 months), so I was among those that jumped ship when the EVO 4G came out.

Playing with other peoples iPad's, and various Android tablets, I have to say, I'm not impressed with the Touchpad performance. Many apps the buttons just seem to take a moment to acknowledge that I tapped it, and occasionally it'll just stop responding for a little while.

I like the OS itself, and the ability to multi-task like that blows away Android... a lot of the apps are good... but there's not enough key apps... I've come to love Amazon Cloud player... and I do occasionally use Netflix on my EVO... Google Docs support in Quickoffice does ease some of the pain... my wife loves Angry Birds no matter where she can play it, heh... battery life has been great so far... it seems heavy, but I realized it's basically the same weight as the original ipad... I really like toodleTasks HD... a non-full screen pandora app is disappointing... it kind of makes me feel like I am using my old phone, with a bigger screen, which is one of the reasons I was afraid of getting an Android tablet... and access to my Dropbox files are very important...

Do I sound indecisive? that's because I am... time will tell...
    got 2 of the 32 on the fire day sale, I have had ipods since the click wheel. I will still use my ipod touch for music in my truck just on size it's a good fit, but for tablet i like this touchpad, I don't think i would trade for a ipad, and it's easy to use

I wish HP would have gave this a honest try............. But then i never wanted a tablet i used a ipad or 2 but never felt that i needed one. but for 150 for 32 gigs 1 gig a ram and dual core, and so many ways i can use it. its great. I didn't know what i was missing

Jail breaking the ipod can be a #### an apple tries all they can 2 stop the jailbreak with updates
    Preware on the hp touchpad was easy an fun, made my touchpad faster an got some snes games on it

if webos was to be over say today. i wouldn't go to droid unless it had a dual boot, this is just 2 easy 2 use, I tried my 1st smart phone a few weeks ago, was a droid x 2 I took it back and went back to the unsmart phone, lol i hated it
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    I've been a hardcore Mac user since the days of OS 7. I've been a Palm user from the beginning, and every one of my phones from the Kyocera 7135 onward has been a Palm OS device. I picked up a Pre right after launch day and have been using webOS phones ever since.

I had played with a TouchPad for a couple of weeks and recently picked up an 2nd gen iPad 3G. It was a very painful experience going from webos to iOS. Limited gestures, awkward multi-tasking, really really sucky virtual keyboard, etc. Using the iPad was a very frustrating experience. The reason that I've used Macs for so long is that I feel that everything works the way it is supposed to. With iOS, I am continually frustrated by having to think all the time. So many things are completely unnatural for me.

I just got a TP 32G two days ago and just love it. Everything works the way it should. I don't have to think about what to do. Everything comes naturally. It is not perfect in terms of software quality, stability, responsiveness or application support, but it has the most promise of any OS out there.

It will be interesting to see where all of this goes. I sure hope that webOS stays alive. If not I've played with the PlayBook and in some ways I feel that the user experience might be slightly better than the TouchPad. RIM copies webOS in many areas with QNX and that was very smart. The PlayBook also has the most awesome HW of any of the tablets out there.

I'm just happy to have choices.
    Pilot Pro -> Pilot Vx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Pre -> Pixi Plus -> Pre2 + TouchPad -> BB 9930 -> Pre3+ Playbook
    Verizon -> Cingular -> ATT -> Sprint -> Verizon -> ATT
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Coming from Android, I like the basic setup of webOS a lot - the excellent multitasking, the card system, the ability to enter dev mode with no hackery required - but find it lacks Android's granular configurability. For instance, there's no way to change the default browser; and apps offer only minimal configuration options. In retrospect I really wish it had been Google rather than HP that purchased Palm. A combination of the best UI elements of webOS and Android would seriously rock.

As for the actual gadget in my hands, I have to say I'm a little disappointed. Given what I paid for the thing I can't get too upset, but given its original price point I really expected it to be better than it is. I knew going in that the app selection would be thin, but I was ok with that, figuring what I was buying was an entirely solid web browsing device and Kindle substitute. Unfortunately, the font rendering is so bad as to make it useless for long form reading. The blurry, poorly rendered browser text gets hard on the eyes very quickly. My Android phone, despite having only a 4.3" screen, is actually a far better reading device than the Touchpad! The generally awful webOS browser just adds insult to injury.

On the positive side, the speakers are freaking awesome, better than the ones on my $1000+ laptop. The hand feel of the thing is very nice, and the screen is entirely serviceable for watching short videos - I'm getting a lot of use out of the TED app.

Longer term, I have high hopes for a successful Android port. Honeycomb would be great, but I'll be happy with even a stable Gingerbread build. Figure it'll be twice as good as a hacked Nook Color for half the price!

EDIT: After a few changes of mind, Touchpad SOLD on eBay for just over 2.5 times what I paid for it. Will now apply proceeds toward a real Android tablet instead of waiting on a probably buggy port for this one.
    Last edited by opxdo; 09/06/2011 at 08:14 PM.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234