Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes
    Webos is amazing just needs more apps.
    i have an ipad 1, motorola xoom, samsung focus, and now touchpad.
    - Swipe gesture is unique, new experience.
    - WebOS UI is so familiar with iOS, but it's nice.
    - Preware & webos quick install are very impressive, easy to use.
    - There is no file explorer app that is optimized for tablet.
    - Missing hardwares: no gps, no rear camera but it can vibrate ^^! (kind of weird )
    - It had adobe flash .
    - Usb file transfering, and can play avi,mkv... video files.
    Over all, touchpad is a freaking awesome tablet for $150. Can't expect anything more. And i hope there will be a lot of apps for touchpad coming in near future.
    Quote Originally Posted by NuclearWinter View Post
    Perhaps it's because you've never owned a smartphone or tablet before and haven't experienced their capabilities? So you aren't aware that you may be missing anything. Or perhaps you just have different needs than some of us. But to me that seems a bit like saying all the programs available for your PC are superfluous aside from the web browser.

There are lots of things I would expect to use my tablet for, and even the apps that the Touchpad has available are generally poor and lacking in features compared to the competition. Including the browser in many ways.
    As I said, to each his own. I understand most want more apps; personally for my first tablet/smartphone/laptop at $150, surfing the web with flash while listening to tunes with Beats audio speakers on my bed is a new and exhilerating experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by tritran18518 View Post
    - There is no file explorer app that is optimized for tablet.
    Check out Internalz, I believe its a Preware app
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiguy2000 View Post
    Webos is amazing just needs more apps.
    I disagree. Before apps we need stability and maturity. WebOS is currently too buggy, slow, and lacking in basic functionality (commenting as a frequent iOS user).
    zc1 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulletmark View Post
    I disagree. Before apps we need stability and maturity. WebOS is currently too buggy, slow, and lacking in basic functionality (commenting as a frequent iOS user).
    Well yeah, but unfortunately, the time to stabilize the OS should have happened long before they stuck it on a tablet and started charging people hard earned money for it.
    crucian4 and MercuryCrest like this.
    I'm coming from my Droid X2. I've been looking into selling my unused laptop and buying a tablet all summer. I was originally looking at the TP, GalaxyTab/Xoom, and the iPad. I took the iPad off of the list fast because I've hated every Apple product I've ever used and I hate what Apple stand for (closed system, one size fits all). I then took the TP off because I didn't think it would be able to replace what I could do on my laptop- mostly because of it's small marketshare and app catalog. When it went on sale for $100, it was too good of a deal to pass up. I didn't even have to sell my laptop. I'm pretty happy for it considering that I got it for $100. If I paid full price, I probably would return it.

WebOS is very intuitive. I figured out the OS practically right away- much faster than learning Android (Even though that was the first time learning a mobile OS). Most everything works as you think it would
    Damn near perfect size, weight, and thickness compared to the rest of the tablets.
    There's no proprietary charger. I have a million USB cables and USB chargers, so if I lose the TP charger, I don't have to buy another one from HP. I can just get one out of the drawer.
    Speakers are better than I was expecting.
    Cards and the way you interact with them are pretty cool
    While you cannot tweak it to the same degree as Android, tweaking is fairly easy to do.
    Free box.net subscription and the ability to edit with QuickOffice will be useful

Dislikes:
    No extra USB ports. I would say no video out, but that's something I would never use.
    The volume buttons are accidentally hit constantly
    The browser is absolute trash.
    -It does not like HTML5/CSS3 at all. It doesn't display pages right that IE would display.
    -It also does not like elements with a fixed position. You mostly notice this when something is supposed the be 'stuck' at the bottom of the screen. When scrolling, the bar scrolls with the page and then re-fixes itself to the bottom. Every other browser will have it stay at the bottom no matter what. Javascript also performs slow.
    -As previously said, the bookmark system isn't very good
    -There is no way that I know of that gives you the option not to open a link in a new window. It's annoying when using a site like Digg and having to open and close new windows every 3 seconds.
    -Scrolling past the screen vertically is kind of cool. Scrolling horizontally into the grey abyss is annoying.
    -There is no indication of how far down you are on the page (AKA scrolling bar)
    I like the scrolling pace of Android better. WebOS is much slower and won't scroll nearly as long.
    Lack of a back button standard. In Android there is a physical/virtual back button. In iOS, the navigation is the same in almost all apps. In WebOS, the back button can be on the top left, bottom left, or in the app's menu. This makes navigation very annoying as every app is different from the last.
    I miss the customization/widgets of Android's home screen. As much as I like the cards, I still want a regular homescreen. I love my phone's homescreen. It's just how I want it. When I look at the WebOS homescreen all I think is meh.
    Like Android, it needs to be reset every couple of days to perform well.
    The native apps are pretty buggy. I often have to wait several seconds for the screen to respond at all.
    No Ctr-F in PDFs
    Finding a page in PDF's is very annoying. I was looking through my school's course catalog which had over 600 pages. It took nearly a minute to get to the page on something that should take 5 seconds.
    I want a section in the app drawer that has every single app on my device. You can have other tabs for games and what have you, but these should be duplicates. Having every app that I download go into a download section that has to be moved over is irritating.
    Basic apps are missing- File Manager, Camera
    The way it handles apps made for the Pre is pretty bad. Instead of display it on a fifth of my screen, make it bigger so I can actually use the app.
    And the biggest thing on this list: There are no apps!

Keep in mind that this list is based off of stock WebOS. I just tweaked it according to one of the stickies, but I haven't really had much time to play with it to see the difference. Regardless, the negatives still have merit as a user should not be forced to tweak a stock product to make it work well.

I do like this device. There's a ton of dislikes on here, but that isn't to say that I dislike the TP. I do like it, but there's a ton of things that would make it better.
    Last edited by Mikhial66; 08/30/2011 at 06:47 PM.
    NuclearWinter likes this.
    Typed really late, expect errors or maybe sleep deprived ranting.

I've used windows on computers and bought a bargain basement android 2.2 MID tablet just in july. The cheap tablet cost $85(Plus another 12 for a microSD card). It has an 800mhz cpu, no video card, 256 megs of ram, and wireless with a range of about 10 feet... it's still FAR more useful to me than the HP Touchpad currently.

The main reason it is so useful is that it actually has usb ports and a card slot. I have a keyboard and a mouse plugged in. I can plug in any USB thumb drive I want and they work.

Currently, the HP touchpad is a very limited device, and always will be. There is no quick USB access. No quick card access. You have to plug it into you computer or hope you have an internet connection to transfer files.

The OS itself, is fine I suppose. I like the multi-tasking aspect of it far better than android 2.2(Uberoid actually). The web browser is barely adequate. If you have a very long page scrolling through is a real chore. If I try to scroll too fast, I always accidentally "card" the browser and just as ofter immediately close it by then swiping it up again.

There's no file manager at all built in. I couldn't even figure out any way to rename a file.

There's no notepad or ANYTHING to write with if you don't count the email or google docs. QuickOffice finally added that ability, to a limited degree.

Quickoffice is more of Joke Office, it CAN finally edit/create a very select few formats of files now, but it doesn't even have a tab button(go on, press tab and see the nothing that happens.)

There are no arrow keys in the virtual keyboard and I have heard that arrow keys don't work even if you have a keyboard. Really? No arrow keys to make navigation through text files easier? No arrow keys to let you edit the very frequent mistakes you'll make with their inaccurate keyboard? BIG disappointment there.

Bluetooth only for adding peripherals is a very expensive joke.

Overall, very disappointed in the HP Touchpad. It would be wonderful to see that unused corner inside with nothing in it have an addon option to install a real USB port instead of that joke microusb slot that isn't really a usb slot. Will see how the future goes with it before getting rid of it.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Let me say, I owned a launch Palm Pre. Loved WebOS but eventually joined the masses and jumped ship to Android for an EVO 4G. Recently had been looking to purchase a tablet, saw the Touchpad played with it a bit. But I was content to stay with Android (was thinking about the Asus Transformer). But when the fire sale happened it was a no brainer. Didn't get one at retail, got a 16GB off Craigslist for $150 and 4 of my old PS3 games. Boy, didn't realize how much I missed WebOS. And it is 10 times better on a tablet than on a phone. Glad to be back. Hope the development continues.
    Not sure why people would want functional items, like external storage slots, USB ports, etc on a tablet. You could get a netbook for $300 or less with better specs than the TP or any other tablet.

The point of these tablets is to simplify web-browsing, email, reading, music, and movies. With that, the HP TP does falls short on on all of those areas I just mentioned. It's just not polished enough. Maybe HP decided to get rid of these TP's and use us as beta testers.

I'm hoping HP/webOS pushes out a major update that would fix all of these issues. For a $99 tablet, I can wait on a solid update rather than these incremental updates Apple pushes out on their iOS.
    HP Touchpad 16GB
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tannim View Post
    There is no quick USB access. No quick card access. You have to plug it into you computer or hope you have an internet connection to transfer files.
    Install "Wifi Media Sync" as well as the PC client. You can then transfer files between the TP and your PC via WiFi.

Quote Originally Posted by tannim View Post
    There's no file manager at all built in. I couldn't even figure out any way to rename a file.
    Install "WebOs Internalz" via Preware. Very good File Manager App.
    mike5 and crucian4 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by iboost79 View Post
    Not sure why people would want functional items, like external storage slots, USB ports, etc on a tablet. You could get a netbook for $300 or less with better specs than the TP or any other tablet.
    Yes, I too can't think why anyone wouldn't want to spend another $300 and carry around another separate device, just to use external storage and things that other tablets on the market can already do. Oh wait, actually I can completely see why.

I mean really, you don't see why people would like to expand the storage of their device? Even if it isn't for you?

See, I don't want a netbook that weighs twice as much and doesn't have a touch screen. I would just like to plug my tiny portable 1TB drive full of media into my tablet, and there's no reason at all why this is something a tablet shouldn't be able to do (and a number of them do).

However I knew when getting the TP that this wasn't an option, so it's not something I'm going to complain about.
    crucian4 likes this.
    I'm a bought my first palm device in 1999 and my last one was a Palm Centro. I then abandoned Palm in favor of Android because I didn't see Palm continuing as a viable source due to their marketing people. I just got a touchpad and I was impressed with webOS. It reminds me a lot of the innovation that palm put into their company in the early days. If HP/Palm/Whoever buys WebOS can maintain the momentum, I can see this having a huge impact. One thing that is clear from WebOS is that it was designed from the ground up as a multitasking OS. Something that iOS and Android really don't have. So I bought the touchpad thinking I was going to be waiting for someone to hack Android on it, but I don't see any need for that at this time.
    Brian
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    See, I don't want a netbook that weighs twice as much and doesn't have touch screen. I would just like to plug my tiny portable 1TB drive full of media into my tablet, and there's no reason at all why this is something a tablet shouldn't be able to do (and a number of them do).

However I knew when getting the TP that this wasn't an option, so it's not something I'm going to complain about.
    If I recall, this can't be done on any tablet without hacks and root but it is what it is.

But to answer the question, I have used (and currently use) Android since the very beginning (G1) and I've used both the IPad and Xoom. The iPad will always be smoother because the software is optimized for the hardware. And whether folks want to admit it, Honeycomb wasn't the best until the 3.2 update but most people still drooled over it because 1)fanboyism and 2)apps (even though most apps weren't optimized for tablets). People love their apps tho! lol. In all seriousness, webOS has exceeded my expectation and I believe that it could have thrived if it was $100 or even $50 cheaper.
    Last edited by Jahsoul; 08/31/2011 at 08:24 AM.
    All in all, it's a decent device. The problem with the tablet is clearly that it's just in an early stage of its life (it's a first gen device), when everything else is in its 2nd generation or later. While the Ipad is far from perfect for me (which is why I don't have one), what it does, it does very well. Period.

The TP does some things well, but it's missing some serious functionality (browser is horrible compared to android/ios), lack of apps/support, and the OS seems to "hang" at times (for several seconds at a time). WebOS certainly has a lot of promise (I like the overall feel of the OS), but the issue now is that WebOS is a little ways behind android and iOS, and it's going to take some serious work to catch up/if it ever can.

If android gets ported onto the TP, I will reluctantly switch, simply because the TP has such a terrible browser, and a lack of apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jahsoul View Post
    If I recall, this can't be done on any tablet without hacks and root but it is what it is.
    Honeycomb supports it officially as of 3.1. The Lenovo Thinkpad tablet, Acer Iconia and a few other recent tablets have full size USB host ports. The Galaxy Tab has a small official adapter that also allows it without any rooting or hacking and Asus are releasing a similar one for the Transformer.
    crucian4 likes this.
  17. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    The other thing I notice about the Touchpad is that the USB seems to fail a lot - I get a "throw away all cards" message but it will not connect to the PC without a rest.
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    Honeycomb supports it officially as of 3.1. The Lenovo Thinkpad tablet, Acer Iconia and a few other recent tablets have full size USB host ports. The Galaxy Tab has a small official adapter that also allows it without any rooting or hacking and Asus are releasing a similar one for the Transformer.
    That's my mistake. I thought that while 3.1 supported it, root access was needed. (but Honeycomb still blew until 3.2...lol)
    own: Andoid phones, Ipod touch, Linux servers, workstions and Windows laptop/desktops.

In my life, I never used an unfinished OS like webOS 3. Mainly because I know how easy it could have been so much better.

webOS 3 was clearly based on a phone OS. You cant customize anything, and that sux.

Ill probaly lose another point for this post, lol. Go ahead mods...
    TheSpike likes this.
    my El Cheapo bargain basement android 2.2 generic nameless tablet has two USB slots and an ethernet slot with a plugin adapter card thing. VERY handy and would love to see that empty space in the Touchpad get such an adapter. At the very least, I'd love to see a bluetooth usb/card slot adapter for it. Plug in your usb device and it would be blue toothed over to the tablet. no idea what bluetooth data rates are though. I'm guessing pretty pathetic as almost nothing uses it other than headphones and the rare keyboard or mouse.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast