Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes
  1.    #21  
    all great experiences, comparisons, and opinions whether positive or negative. Anyone else?
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    For a Business Tool, I find it quite lacking.
    I've a lots of Android experiences and some iOS. Here is my thoughts on webOS.

Pros:
    Clean "card" interface (maybe too much swiping);
    Great EMail client;
    Skype with video;
    Touchstone thingy is nice.

Cons:
    Most apps is "web scripting" based, so it's Mojo JavaScript interpretation. Means performance not there if it would be native code, less secure. Installation of uberKernel and reduction logging level kind of help with performance but JavaScript still is a script.

Browser would hang and crash on some heavy websites;

Luna is "carved in stone" - no customization. I'm wondering why code which allow to edit tabs was commented out by webOS developers?

Luck of hw video codecs. Video support is just pathetic. YouTube runs through browser, and browser does not support HTML5, so half of YouTube clips does not play at all. Every other mobile os has dedicated YouTube player.

No Netflix.

Some of other formats are supported through software codecs - I did not even bother to try it out. My Galaxy Tab 10.1 with Dice player fill all my mufti-media needs streaming directly from NAS server share.

There is no way to logout from accounts, I don't want to be logged-in to Skype, Google talk, Exchange server all the time. This is just plain annoying.

PDF and other eBooks got very little love from developers.

Bottom line.
    I would not even consider to buy that tab for even half of the suggested retail price (like 250+). And I despise scalpels on ebay. They did not bring any value into the mix but this is different talk.

I bought one 32Gb tab for 150 just for opportunity to learn something new and don't regret it. I hope I can experiment with this tab and install linux or Android or even stay with webOS and tinker with it.

Edit: video is not important for me on this tab because of the screen 4:3 format.
    Last edited by Vlad_Z; 08/29/2011 at 11:22 AM.
    Jameson42 likes this.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Z View Post
    The funniest thing I find switching back and forth between the TP and the iPhone is when using he iPhone and I go to close an app I automatically start to do the "Swipe" to close it, then I remember opps, not WebOS
    It was even worse if you had a phone. I have an original Pre but would occasionally use my wife's Touch at times and then later using my iPad. On the phones not only did you have swiping up to minimize, throw away cards, etc. You also had a gesture for going "Back" and "Forward" in a program and a gesture for going to the next/previous application card.

Even more than swiping up to get rid of a program, I was ALWAYS trying to swipe backwards to go back. One of the biggest things I miss on the touchpad. So much more elegant than hitting a button. REALLY loved it for web browsing.
    Quote Originally Posted by iboost79 View Post
    I initially joined this forum back when the Palm Pre launched for Sprint. But as soon as the iphone came out, I jumped ship.
    Waa???? Surely the iPhone came out 2 years before the Pre?
    iPhone 3GS user here. (And before that, Palm OS devices, including Visors).

Overall, the core ideas in the user interface are neat, but there are many, many rough edges to the experience. I turned off the logging, and installed a couple of patches, but otherwise haven't overclocked my TouchPad yet.

I ran into some rough edges using the 6-pack promo codes. I'm not bothered by the length of time some apps took to download and install (though that's a negative experience against the app store). I'm bothered that I had to do things in the correct order - copy code, then go into app store and purchase. Reversing the order of steps - go to app store first, hit purchase, hit promo code button, then leave to go copy code - results in the dialog box disappearing. (Took me 1 app to figure this out).

I'm also annoyed that the code box doesn't move right away when the keyboard pops up, but hangs for just a second. This is enough time for me to assume that it's staying right there, and I move to click inside to paste. The box then moves, and my finger hits the screen behind, which could be a picture or video. (Took me 1 more app to figure that out).

What I wonder is if the displays in the stores, which I assume weren't overclocked in anyway, were equally as buggy, and as slow. First impressions are everything, and people forgive a lot if the performance is solid and bug-free.

The other thing I'm disappointed in is the variety and depth of apps. I was hoping for a little more out of the base browser - reordering bookmarks, and setting font sizes would have been nice. Maybe these don't make sense on a Pre - no one websurfs, bookmarks are passe since everyone googles, and changing font sizes on a small device is non sensical. But on a larger tablet, these might be worth looking at. (Actually, there doesn't seem to be a system wide setting at all for changing font sizes). I was disappointed that the Adobe PDF Reader was so basic - a search box would have been nice.

Granted, it's only been out a couple of months, but against the iPad and various Android tablets, apps are a key selling point. When I got my iPhone 3GS two years ago, I visited the Sprint store first and I got an unprompted apology that the Pre didn't have very many apps. They have more apps now, but there aren't a lot that are scaled for TouchPad. The lack of a serious app that can edit common office files is a strong negative, and web-based apps can only take one so far.

Otherwise, I should mention the stereo sound is great. I wonder why they couldn't have the speaker grates level or flush with the TouchPad body/case. Lack of tab customization is disappointing.

Overall, this is a decent start, but I still want an iPad. This will probably end up being a casual use toy for me - multiboot with Android if that comes to pass - otherwise a basic browser, reader, and occasional media player. I would not recommend this to others unless they're tech savvy and comfortable with patching and tweaking the OS.

Edit 2: Just after I posted this, Adobe Reader and QuickOffice got updated, the latter with editing.
    Last edited by TheSpike; 08/29/2011 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Clarification.
    The more I use the Touchpad the more frustrated I get with missing features, limitations and poor performance in apps. I don't understand why it will completely freeze up randomly for 10 seconds while scrolling through stories in a simple RSS app, or why it will sometimes take over a minute to open a new webpage, or why links will sometimes take several seconds to activate after tapping them, or why the only Japanese dictionary in the app store takes so long to find search results that I would probably be better off using a paper dictionary (and yet my iOS dictionaries are able to find words instantly while I'm still typing them).

It's just so many things that add up to being a very frustrating experience. It's made even more frustrating by the fact that I actually like the design and UI of webOS so much.
    I own both an IPAD 1 and an ASUS Transformer and I recently bought the Touchpad from Best Buy. I like the TP but it is not close to the IPAD but it is close to the Transformer. If only HP had went those extra steps and put a camera in the back or a SD slot something to set it apart from the IPAD. HP should have came out with the Touchpad for $199.00 and $250.00 and advertised it that the TP would have sponsors running commercials when you open the browser to make up for the money that is lost on the hardware or at least have a killer app. You have to come up with something mind blowing to get people to buy a new tablet and HP did too bad it was fatal to the company. All new tablets have failed Playbook, Zoom, HTC Flyer. Now that the TP is the 2nd best selling tablet ever HP or someone needs to take it from here and capitalize on this new market.
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    I've used Android on Nexus One and Galaxy Tab 7", and iOS on iPad and iPhone 4 (had Pilot 1000 and 5000, and Handspring way back in the day, but I don't think those count )

As a hardware device, Touchpad isn't bad, and obviously for $100-150 it's a total steal. Wish the screen was higher resolution and the whole thing wasn't so glossy, but overall, not bad.

As far as WebOS, I have a love-and-hate relationship right now. Here is my list:

PROS:
    - Love the card interface. Multitasking done right.
    - Like both the calendar and mail apps.
    - Like how app store is organized.
    - Keyboard has number keys!

CONS:
    - Hate that my modded/OCed TP still pauses for seconds at a time at random times.
    - Stock browser bookmarks are just a joke. I really don't understand how this can be. I have about 60 bookmarks I go to regularily. Not with TP....
    - Stock browser doesn't render some pages well.
    - Apps take too long to open.
    - Orientation adjustment is too sensitive.
    - Lack of Netflix.

Overall, as an internet browser for the couch, it falls short simply because of the lack of bookmark management. It's a shame because I really enjoy the interface itself.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    I started with a 3rd gen iPod Touch, moved on to a Motorola Atrix (Currently running Cyanogenmod 7) and a Nook Color (Also running CM7).

While I never owned a webOS device, they certainly weren't under my radar. I had my eye on them shortly after I got my iPod touch, and that was reflected in how I installed a tweak for the iPod that gave it card multitasking (called ProSwitcher). Not long before I got my current phone, I got fed up with my old one's mediocre texting capabilities and decided to get myself a Pre 3 when it came out. However, I became impatient and got the Atrix. In retrospect, this was a good idea seeing as the Pre 3 never hit the US.

I heard of the $100 sale the day before and thought it would be great if I could get one and then put the inevitable android port on it. The specs are far better than the Nook, and debatably even the many Tegra 2 android tablets.

Like many others, shortly after getting it I fell in love with webOS. The card UI is even better than the clone I had on my iPod (and wanted on Android but couldnt get any of them to work). While I still plan on putting Android on mine for the better app selection and more open software, it'll either be as a dual-boot or in a card... I dont want to get rid of webOS. Its just too elegant. Its too bad there's so little software available for it. I dont expect that to change, but I hope it does.

As far as dislikes, they all are very minor. The speakers make it a little awkward to hold in portrait mode which I prefer for things like web browsing. Even with the recommended tweaks and a 1.5ghz overclock, there's a lot of hesitation in doing things. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong, but whenever I use the swipe up gesture to minimize a card, some of it scrolls up before it minimizes. Worst, though, is the home button is absolutely abysmal. Feels like its going to break off every time I use it. Very glad the swipe up is an option even with the scrolling issue.

Currently, mine just stays home when I need to go out because I couldnt edit documents without wifi and the case I ordered for it hasnt arrived yet. The recent quickoffice update fixes the former, but until that case arrives I'm still using my Nook as my primary tablet. Looking forward to that changing, though.

Overall, very positive experience so far.
    Coming from iOS phone and Honeycomb tablet.

My review of webOS is it's a great alpha software rushed out the door to get it on a tablet. Between huge gaps in functionality and all the tiny missing features there's not much to review. Multitasking? How can I even review it when there's little to actually multitask? Sure the multitasking has some great ideas behind it, but it's not like there's a lot of apps to even multitask.

Flash is great on the web, but honestly, most apps run better than their website counterparts simply because they're designed specifically for a smaller screen and designed for touchpad input, to include features like swiping to delete, etc. For example, even on webOS the USA Today app is simply better suited to touchpad use than the web version. So a reliance on "just go to the website to use it" sort of misses the whole point of tablets. At least until HTML5 becomes much more used and websites can begin functioning like apps with touchpad gestures and such. But that's a long ways off yet.

Then there's the plain old drought of apps. Apps are software. And anyone that says you can get around the lack of software just because the OS is great is kidding themselves. Apple learned the hard way. People said the same thing about their computers for decades and they remained a niche product that eventually ran into financial trouble and had to be bailed out by an influx of cash from Microsoft. If there's nothing to run on your OS, then your OS is irrelevant no matter how pretty it is or how cool multitasking is.

While I'm enjoying this $99 half functional tablet, there's absolutely nothing on it (in it's current bug filled state) that can honestly be said to be something that would warrant someone moving over from iOS or Honeycomb/Android for it. I honestly wish the other OSes would just take a hint from webOS and get into grouping tasks/windows like webOS does and just move on.
    Blackberry and iOS user mainly but have always been intrigued by webOS, so much that I did buy a Pre (hated the form factor, I feel like sliders are the worst of both worlds instead of the best) and a Pixi (digged the form but it was too small). I was really hoping that the oft rumored "slab" device would come out and/or they'd enlarge the Pixi, kinda like a BB Bold touch or whatever.

Anyways, I too really miss the gesture area and think it was one of things that set this platform apart. I like the keyboard layout but I'm shocked at how laggy the virtual keyboard is on the TP even after the overclocking and patches. The browser seem ok to me even though it seems to catch a bunch of flak on here. One of my favorite things is the menu in the top left of every screen. It really helps people navigate a new device and reminds me of the functionality of the berry button on Blackberries. And of course the cards and notifications have always been top notch.

I really think this firesale could benefit the new owner of webOS (assuming it gets in the hands of a company interested in using it this way). If not though I'd say its a huge win for Apple in the sense that there are that many more tablet users that might not otherwise have purchased one. I know I fall squarely in that category since I never saw the need/point, but I've really enjoyed the experience so eventually when I (and others like me) are ready for a new tablet there's a good chance that Apple gets first crack at my money if webOS isn't around.

Great community here btw. I've really enjoyed lurking lol.
    Cheers.
  13.    #33  
    the general consensus seems to be a good product that needs refinement, more apps, and address the shortfalls thus far.
    ok here it is: ios is like a porsche or bmw...expensive...finished and you get what you pay for...performance, head-turning and re-sell. fit and finish is tight. android is like a ZR1 or viper...raw powerful, with neccessary refinements and burning performance and since they have chevy and dodge roots, you still think you can work on em. webos is the audi8 hot looking, good performance,but won't outrace bmw/porsche/zr1/viper in 0-60 time trials, but all around solid performance and it looks so damn hot. besides who needs sub4sec 60's everyday? c'mon guys the difference between a 3.5 60 adn a 4.3 60 is hardly a car length. lol...just some thoughts...orig pre user and first day TP user, and my dream car = audi8
    toddreg likes this.
  15. zc1
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    I'm a new member, and have using an HP TP for a few days, now. I also have an Asus Transformer, and my wife has an iPad. To me the TP is the underdog that I really like, and really want to do well, but that keeps reminding me that it's really not there, yet. The Transformer does absolutely everything that I need and use on a daily basis, and I'm not a demanding sort -- good PDF reader with search capability, good browser with bookmark organization, consistent and accurate page rendering, good office suite and file browser. The TP has a PDF reader, a browser and an office suite, but none of them compare to the functionality of those found on the Transformer or iPad, yet. The apps on the TP come across as half-baked, and really make me wonder about limitations in the OS being the reason vs lack of effort on the part of the app developers (eg. Adobe for PDF reader, Palm/HP for browser and QuickOffice).

-The TP is my favourite as far as form factor is concerned. It feels wonderful in-hand. It's solid and has a fantastic display
    -The accessories are excellent -- case, keyboard, touchstone. I have an Asus Transformer with keyboard dock, and find the TP with touchstone (as a stand) + bluetooth keyboard is just as comfortable to work with
    -Good native calendar app
    -Good email app
    -Easy-to-use OS
    -Multitasking is great
    -Easy to install Preware and tweak the system a bit (eg. overclocking)

Disappointments:
    -PDF Reader -- No search function? drop-down list for navigating (up to 25 pages at a time) rather than an input box for me to enter a page number and jump to it? Grouping all docs together in a single list (or by type) and ignoring the folders into which I've already grouped them? The reader feels thinly-featured, clunky and inefficient.
    -Browser -- doesn't work for some of the sites that I need on a daily basis; bookmark organization is not good enough; very few options; pick up an Android Tablet and try the stock browser and you'll see what a good stock browser should be. Upgrade to Dolphin Browser and there's absolutely no comparison.
    -App Support -- still not enough buy-in from larger established names (eg. Documents-to-Go) let alone smaller developers. Even the ones that have joined the WebOS team (Adobe, QuickOffice) seem to have put together half-baked contributions.

I spent all weekend trying to make the TP my main work tablet. It's still not close to being where the Transformer is, and required *a lot* of work to get it to where it is now, but it's pretty close to what the iPad offered.

I wasn't asking for much going in, yet was still disappointed with the TP. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a device of this type to have a good browser and a good document reader (i.e. with search function). Those should be a given.

For $100 or $150 I can put understand the shortcomings, but HP was trying to sell these tablets -- with sub-par browser, office suite and reader apps -- for >$500. For that price point I expect better.
    Last edited by zc1; 08/29/2011 at 11:12 PM.
    I've never had a tablet or any kind of smartphone before, coming from a desktop Windows XP OS.

I am incredibly impressed with the browser/system speed after Preware tweaks, I didn't realize tablets could be so quick. For the firesale price of $150/32 gb, I don't see anyone could NOT be happy with this tablet. That being said, for $500 I would have definitely got an Asus Transformer just based on watching various tablet reviews.

I really don't see why everyone is complaining about a "lack of apps." To each his own, but I would be happy if ALL I had was a browser, multimedia player, and a few games. Everything else is superfluous, but of course I'll probably take advantage of things like Weather and QuickOffice since they're there.

But yeah, overall very impressed. Like others have said HP made a big mistake pricing the TouchPads. If they started out a little cheaper they would have been stiff competition for other higher priced tablets.
    MercuryCrest likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by mk.ultra View Post
    I really don't see why everyone is complaining about a "lack of apps." To each his own, but I would be happy if ALL I had was a browser, multimedia player, and a few games. Everything else is superfluous, but of course I'll probably take advantage of things like Weather and QuickOffice since they're there.
    Perhaps it's because you've never owned a smartphone or tablet before and haven't experienced their capabilities? So you aren't aware that you may be missing anything. Or perhaps you just have different needs than some of us. But to me that seems a bit like saying all the programs available for your PC are superfluous aside from the web browser.

There are lots of things I would expect to use my tablet for, and even the apps that the Touchpad has available are generally poor and lacking in features compared to the competition. Including the browser in many ways.
    zc1 likes this.
  18.    #38  
    keep em coming.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    I've been using Android for the passed 2 years so I'm quite bias, and much prefer to have Android on this thing.

I'm still learning WebOS but some quirks and bugs can be annoying. I'm hoping with time (which means for Android to be released, or not) that I will become more familiar with it.

It's pretty.. I'll give it that much.
    Like mk.ultra up there, I, too, am coming from XP Pro with almost zero smartphone/tablet experience.

I've been searching for a better OS than Windows but the closest thing I've found is Ubuntu. Even that is a bit strange to me.

Background: I was waiting for a tablet to come around that had everything that I needed. It finally did in the form of the Galaxy Tab. Being a full-time student, I knew it would be a while before I could afford ANY tablet. Then cometh the fire-sale.

If I had paid $400+ for this, I would be incredibly upset. For $99, I cannot complain (actually, I can, but we'll get to that in a minute). Upside: I never would have gotten to experience a tablet if it weren't for this great deal. Also, I had never considered webOS before...and I am impressed.

After performing the tweaks suggested in another thread, I am overjoyed at the speed this thing has. My desktop takes five times as long just to open a program, although my desktop progs. are significantly more refined and larger.

I love that I can just minimize an app to card view and throw it away to close it. I still experience a knee-jerk reaction, thinking that I closed something without saving and all that (what I call the "Waiting for it to crash" experience).

That being said, the ecosystem in which the apps thrive is terrible. Searching for apps is a pain. I had issues updating webOS and, until I did, I couldn't update any of my apps.

I'm also still trying to figure out how webOS stores different files. I'm so used to the XP way of finding/creating folders on a whim that transferring files to/from my TP is still a pain. This is probably due to my inexperience with the OS.

It seems that it is very much a chicken-and-egg scenario.... WebOS needed to be much more refined before it hit a tablet...by the same token, it will only get refined through community feedback and use.

Overall, this tablet FEELS like an amateurish effort, but there is SO much potential for this. If the community can continue to back it, this will be the smartest investment that I've ever made...

...If not, at least I can put Ubuntu on the damned thing.
    hobotheclown likes this.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast