Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By hptuser
  • 1 Post By HelloNNNewman
  1.    #1  
    As a new owner, I'd like to ask how internet security is handled in a HP Touch pad please? Does firewall and antivirus software need to be installed and if so, what are your recommendatrions?
    Quote Originally Posted by touchpad24 View Post
    Does firewall and antivirus software need to be installed and if so, what are your recommendatrions?
    Short answer: nope. This isn't Android
    Since it's Linux you could of course edit the hosts file or configure some kind of firewall, but that's unnecessary. You should always use caution and common sense when installing homebrew software, but AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $there$'$s$ $no$ $malicious$ $software$ $around$. $And$ $I$ $don$'$t$ $think$ $there$ $are$ $any$ $viruses$ $that$ $could$ $affect$ $your$ $TP$.
    I am a new owner as well. As far as I can tell, there is no security software available, nor is it necessary. Security updates as to now are sent from the top from HP themselves in the WebOS updates.

HP will either continue WebOS and continue updates for the Touchpad, or stop altogether. Either way, the situation is great from a security standpoint. If it is discontinued, hackers will see no profit trying to exploit a dead system. If it is not, HP will continue to provide updates.

I do not have any security software installed on my Touchpad, and I'm not sure their even is any available.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnygewitter View Post
    Short answer: nope. This isn't Android
    Since it's Linux you could of course edit the hosts file or configure some kind of firewall, but that's unnecessary. You should always use caution and common sense when installing homebrew software, but AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $there$'$s$ $no$ $malicious$ $software$ $around$. $And$ $I$ $don$'$t$ $think$ $there$ $are$ $any$ $viruses$ $that$ $could$ $affect$ $your$ $TP$.

Many thanks.
    What are the chances that someone could place something in one of the patches on Preware that would allow them to steal your identify or information from your touchpad. How do we know that the patches and apps are secure?

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Kids got the Touchpad for Xmas.. Mommy wants to filter their internet websites.. What are my options?
    Quote Originally Posted by dmlegare View Post
    Kids got the Touchpad for Xmas.. Mommy wants to filter their internet websites.. What are my options?
    One way to do it would be to add the websites you want to block, into the /etc/hosts file on the TP. After setting it in "developer mode", then connecting it computer via USB cable, then adding the websites. This is what the "Adblocker" and "Max blocker" Preware patches do for you in a user-friendly way to block advertising/tracking websites. An example at Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File You can add your customized list of sites to /etc/hosts

Of course, it's always good to be cautious about downloading/installing software from anywhere. Hopefully the HP WebOS and Preware sites will continue to be safe and secure.
    You could also activate/install a content blocker directly on your WiFi router, depends entirely on what model you have and what software it runs though.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmlegare View Post
    one more free and safe/secure way :-)
    Use OpenDNS OpenDNS - Parental Controls as your DNS servers in router/touchpad. You can sign up for a free account and have website access control through a dashboard.
    Last edited by hptuser; 12/27/2011 at 08:43 PM. Reason: added more useful relevant parental control URL
    Remy X likes this.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Yup doing the OpenDns until something better comes along
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Is there a way to setup OpenDNS on the touchpad directly? Or to create a whitelist for just my son's touchpad alone?
    no viri around unless u somehow installed 1 yourself or via a dodgey site, which is unlikely atm, and firewalling is handled perfectly via your router.
    (pops up as a little devil on the shoulder)

Why bother content blocking your son? They're going to get around it with minimal difficulty and lets face it, some of that exploration is part of being a kid. Look on the bright side, when I was a kid we had to go parent-closet-raiding during unchaperoned sleepovers, or searching for unmarked VHS tapes stashed under the waterbed of our friend's very attractive mother then daisy-chaining VCR's to make copies at 3 AM (she will always live fondly in my memory as the greatest movie actress of all time).

I suppose my point is, it's going to happen and there's no way in the world you're going to block every single bit of adult content on the web. Even if you could do it and pulled it off in a completely unbreakable way at a router-level, hell, I just checked, I have 2 unsecured wifi links available with 2-3 bars of signal while I'm sitting here in my living room. I can tell you from my own upbringing that nothing short of gouging my eyes out would have been able to keep me from looking at adult content if I was growing up in today's internet-connected world. Better to teach them proper care and handling of the opposite sex and accept that they are probably just as curious as you were at that age .

(pops up as the angel)

Your wifi router should have a nice array of options available to limit the ability of a user to surf. For example, mine has controls for blocking sites etc, and even includes a "usage limit" (bandwidth AND/OR time) that can be set for each individual machine connected to the router. That would give me a fairly easy way to block content and a way to manage their amount of time wasted online every day so they aren't upstairs burning up facebook in the wee hours of the morning (2 hours of internet max per day, for example). It also includes some capacity for logging, allowing me to see a list of websites visited as well, if I was so inclined.

Of course, my 2-year-old can already surf the internet reasonably proficiently, so I'd be deluding myself if I assumed -any- of this was going to make one iota of a difference once he hits the golden "age of enlightenment".
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    It's not about blocking my son finding the sites on purpose, it's more about him accidentally stumbling upon them. Such as he already found out about whitehouse.com versus whitehouse.gov.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tcbrad98 View Post
    It's not about blocking my son finding the sites on purpose, it's more about him accidentally stumbling upon them. Such as he already found out about whitehouse.com versus whitehouse.gov.
    That's going to be a lot of sites to try to block, tens of thousands of them. They can easily get by them by using a proxy server, which I worked in a middle school for awhile and I seen kids bypassing the schools restrictions with it. On the accidental ones, I don't know how you'd be able to block all the sites.
    aquiring a router with built in support for 3rd party sites/companies that specifically block whatever content (URL/WEB Filters) you wish would be the best choice.

EDIT: Added a quick snap of my routers simple web filter, there are more options elsewhere for url filters etc and pre-set filters for kids etc.

Check around for decent wifi routers with decent kiddie/parental protection, many (mine included) can even block off certain instant messengers from working and torrent/mule/download protocols.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by geekpeter; 12/30/2011 at 02:23 PM.
    My hp touch pad has been hacked. I happened to look on my settings and found a turk krenek in my HP WEBOS account. How do I get him/her off there, or is he one of ya'll and is suppose to be on there? I don't even know this person. I googled his/her name and he/she is system analyst in EL Paso Texas. Help!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alice Voelkel View Post
    My hp touch pad has been hacked. I happened to look on my settings and found a turk krenek in my HP WEBOS account. How do I get him/her off there, or is he one of ya'll and is suppose to be on there? I don't even know this person. I googled his/her name and he/she is system analyst in EL Paso Texas. Help!!!!!
    This has happened in the past to others here (myself included). The HP servers may be having an issue and are a little mixed up. It usually straightens itself out after a bit. In the meantime, do a full restart on your device.
    Remy X likes this.
    lol

I never realized that this was occurring...
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    This has happened in the past to others here (myself included). The HP servers may be having an issue and are a little mixed up. It usually straightens itself out after a bit. In the meantime, do a full restart on your device.
    hhm does't feel good if something like tjis occurs at such a big company. Well but in the end we can get all our data by calling the folks at Fort Meade.