1.    #1  
    The Touchpad is awesome in that it handles native websites and flash and all that. But not every native website is really Tablet/Touch friendly.

Specifically, all the google websites, gmail, docs, etc would be much more functional and fast if we could load up the mobile page.

For some websites you can just type in "m." or "mobile." and be OK. But for the google sites and others, this is not the case and you are automatically redirected to the full site.

Is there a way to force mobile google sites and others to load in the Touchpad browser? If not, is there a dev working on a mobile website optimized browser, or someone in the homebrew community who can make a on/off patch for presenting the TP as a mobile browser vs full browser?

This would be amazing.

Thanks
    I'm quite surprise there is a request for mobile view on 10" tablet. But I see your reasons.

About gmail. why you not make account for Gmail on Touchpad, so your Touchpad can handle it on Email App not on browser, I think you have your own reason, I'm just curious, why?
  3.    #3  
    Synergy with the TP email app is great at managing a lot of diverse emails into one box. However, I don't have a need for that.

Rather, I already have all my accounts threading through one gmail account where I take advantage of lables, threaded conversations, archiving etc Not to mention that I frequently search through my older emails to pull up specific information, which the TP email app cannot do past the week that it has downloaded. Google Docs also cannot work with any native app on the TP.

In gmail, the biggest advantage to the mobile site over the full site would be speed to load and touch friendlyness. In google docs, while the site works to a point, it is not friendly at all and very hard to work on without the bluetooth keyboard (which is sold out all around me). The mobile website on my phone is far more useful as is for editing. If that could be blown up on the Touchpad it would be all I'd ever need for document work.

Since I don't see Google making a native gmail app or doc app for the touchpad, the mobile version of the site (as seen running on the IPad, etc) would be the most useful and productive.
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    agreed. Really would like to get those sites working on the touchpad. I think the only way is to change the user agent string for the browser... But the browser doesn't allow that.
    Quote Originally Posted by nemoid View Post
    agreed. Really would like to get those sites working on the touchpad. I think the only way is to change the user agent string for the browser... But the browser doesn't allow that.
    Ideally, we'd get the sites to detect the TouchPad and serve the mobile version. But short of that, yes, changing the browser user agent string so that the TouchPad looms like another tablet is the most apparent way.

The TouchPad browser doesn't support that, but some people have been working on a patch to change the user agent string in this thread. We've made some progress, but I've found that the iPad versions of some sites don't respond properly to gestures like scrolling and pinch-zoom. If anyone has any thoughts I'd appreciate it.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by paulbee View Post
    Ideally, we'd get the sites to detect the TouchPad and serve the mobile version. But short of that, yes, changing the browser user agent string so that the TouchPad looms like another tablet is the most apparent way.

The TouchPad browser doesn't support that, but some people have been working on a patch to change the user agent string in this thread. We've made some progress, but I've found that the iPad versions of some sites don't respond properly to gestures like scrolling and pinch-zoom. If anyone has any thoughts I'd appreciate it.
    Any idea how all this will play with the hulu patch?I think that also adjusts the user agent string.

A dream patch would integrate into the browser and allow us to change the user agent string on the fly so we can choose based on what website, and even alternate based on need.

If only I knew how to do this...
    You can set the touchpad to download all of your gmail, even past one week.

click on preferences and sync all, rather than past 7 days.

but I do agree I wish more mobile or iphone websites would load on the tp.
    Quote Originally Posted by MordechaiNisa View Post
    Any idea how all this will play with the hulu patch?I think that also adjusts the user agent string.
    I haven't installed the Preware Hulu patch, so I don't know if that's gotten more complicated. But I did apply the manual terminal prompt Hulu fix, and AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $that$ $changes$ $how$ $Flash$ $identifies$ $itself$, $rather$ $than$ $the$ $browser$. $That$ $said$, $some$ $Flash$ $sites$ $might$ $take$ $one$ $look$ $at$ $an$ $iPad$ $user$ $agent$ $and$ $refuse$ $to$ $play$, $so$ $you$'$re$ $right$ $to$ $be$ $concerned$. $I$ $never$ $tried$ $visiting$ $any$ $Flash$ $sites$ $before$ $reverting$ $back$ $to$ $the$ $default$ $user$ $agent$.

A dream patch would integrate into the browser and allow us to change the user agent string on the fly so we can choose based on what website, and even alternate based on need.

If only I knew how to do this...
    I wish I knew how to do this, too. Unfortunately the current method (developed for the Pre by Carl W. Thompson) is pretty far from that -- we actually overwrite the user agent string in the .so file for the browser, and it requires a restart to take. To change the string while using the device, from within the browser, we'd need a totally different approach -- to intercept and replace the string as it's about to be transmitted by the browser. That would be a better solution in a lot of ways, but I don't begin to know how to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    You can set the touchpad to download all of your gmail, even past one week.

click on preferences and sync all, rather than past 7 days.

but I do agree I wish more mobile or iphone websites would load on the tp.
    I want mobile Gmail not so much for the history as for the labels. I hate folder-based organization of emails. Also, better search.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MordechaiNisa View Post
    The Touchpad is awesome in that it handles native websites and flash and all that. But not every native website is really Tablet/Touch friendly.

Specifically, all the google websites, gmail, docs, etc would be much more functional and fast if we could load up the mobile page.

For some websites you can just type in "m." or "mobile." and be OK. But for the google sites and others, this is not the case and you are automatically redirected to the full site.

Is there a way to force mobile google sites and others to load in the Touchpad browser? If not, is there a dev working on a mobile website optimized browser, or someone in the homebrew community who can make a on/off patch for presenting the TP as a mobile browser vs full browser?

This would be amazing.

Thanks
    I think I found the solution to your problem. I was suffering from the same thing until yesterday when lifehacker posted a rather helpful post. Basically allows mobile google sites to be accessed, I've tried it already at it works. All you have to do is type

google.com/m

into the address bar and it access the google search mobile site. From there just click the "more" link at the top to access any other google related service. For more info check out the full article

Access Cached and Mobile-Formatted Pages from Google's New Mobile Search

hope this helps
    -Hardrived
    See I have the opposite issue.

When I visit Genesis 1 KJV - Bible - YouVersion.com it automatically goes to the mobile version and there is no way to load the regular site.

One thing I like about my WP7 is that IE9 has an option to load either the mobile sites or desktop versions.
    Simple Tip Calc http://bit.ly/cdcJIu Review http://bit.ly/a9edpu & World Cup Flags http://bit.ly/daOoeJ
    Quote Originally Posted by hardrived View Post
    I think I found the solution to your problem. I was suffering from the same thing until yesterday when lifehacker posted a rather helpful post. Basically allows mobile google sites to be accessed, I've tried it already at it works. All you have to do is type

google.com/m

into the address bar and it access the google search mobile site. From there just click the "more" link at the top to access any other google related service. For more info check out the full article

Access Cached and Mobile-Formatted Pages from Google's New Mobile Search

hope this helps
    -Hardrived
    Will this bring up the grid menu for Youtube on the Touchpad?