Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Popular Jailbreak program My WI works really well with the touch pad but

At&t can detect the tethering because it shows you as tethering with the native program ( its an overide of the block) and the computer know you are not paying for tethering so you will get a message at sometime telling you they are changing your plan WITHOUT your permission.

How A&T Tracks Unauthorized Tethering on Jailbroken iPhones | Mac|Life

Redmond Pie is reporting that jailbreakers have finally figure out how AT&T is tracking their unauthorized tethering usage, allowing a user to share their 3G data connection with laptops, Wi-Fi only iPads and other devices. You may recall that the carrier recently started warning heavy users of unauthorized tethering via text message that the jig was up, but no one could quite figure out how they knew in the first place.

As it turns out, the answer was quite simple. According to iPhoneDownloadBlog and AndroidPolice, many unauthorized tethering apps make their method known because they work exactly the same as the official tethering from AT&T.

“Jailbroken iPhones typically use the same tethering technique as a standard iPhone, the one that’s already present in iOS,” the report reveals. “This method exposes tethering activity quite readily, because the iPhone, when in tethering mode, sends traffic through an alternate APN (AT&T access point/router) for the express purpose of identifying the traffic as tethered data. This makes it extremely easy for AT&T to identify whether or not an iOS device is utilizing tethering, and just how much of their data is consumed via tethering
    June Fabric's PDAnet is the only App I know of that Tethering can not be detected but the hot spot is not seen by the TouchPad

I can get connected with MyWi

there is a significant risk with MyWi as far as I can tell because more then a few had major problems with At&t over it

I just want this out there its old news and I had to go to the "Dark side to read these things " LOL
    i suggest you consider switching to an android phone if you really want to tether and no workaround is found for the iphone. i wouldn't be surprised if a group of people did find a workaround already.

with android you can flash a custom rom that the developers already disabled/removed att's tether app and att can do nothing about it.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    PDA net works for my PC though
    Global Posts
    522 Global Posts
    PDANet only goes ad-hoc. The TouchPad won't do ad-hoc (easily at least)
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    yeah I know we need a patch I'm not sure I wanna do it when mywi does it

you must use a password with mywi

and its a risk with At&t
    Global Posts
    522 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drfp View Post
    yeah I know we need a patch I'm not sure I wanna do it when mywi does it

you must use a password with mywi

and its a risk with At&t
    I'd love to see a homebrew app that let's us switch the wifi between infrastructure and ad-hoc. I wish I had some manner of programming skills. lol
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TenTwelve View Post
    I'd love to see a homebrew app that let's us switch the wifi between infrastructure and ad-hoc. I wish I had some manner of programming skills. lol
    Yeah I have not time to learn webOS and write it myself
    I am still in 3gs (hoping for a iphone 5 soon) but mywi will only encrypt WEP. And I haven't found an app for tethering yet.
    --Simon
    I'm using TetherMe and it's working splendidly. No notification as of yet (started 8/24). Fingers crossed.
    Quote Originally Posted by gscharp View Post
    I'm using TetherMe and it's working splendidly. No notification as of yet (started 8/24). Fingers crossed.

Unless you want a 1,000 dollar bill that you cant dispute and risk having your contract terminated you might want to stop
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stlcardinal9 View Post
    Unless you want a 1,000 dollar bill that you cant dispute and risk having your contract terminated you might want to stop
    That's not how it works, silly. The worst they will do is tack on a $30/40 monthly tethering plan, which you can cancel next month. They would NEVER terminate your contract over this :P

I'm sorry you went through the trouble of registering an account just to post this.
    Global Posts
    1,292 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
    i suggest you consider switching to an android phone if you really want to tether and no workaround is found for the iphone. i wouldn't be surprised if a group of people did find a workaround already.

with android you can flash a custom rom that the developers already disabled/removed att's tether app and att can do nothing about it.
    Android phone's have a work around that allows a user to disable AT&T from detecting the tethering? I might have to switch from my iPhone and go with a new Android phone if the iPhone 5 is a lot better.
    I have the data unlimited so no $1,000 bill and they send 2 warnings before they force me on to a tethering pkg.
    Last edited by gscharp; 08/28/2011 at 02:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary86 View Post
    Android phone's have a work around that allows a user to disable AT&T from detecting the tethering? I might have to switch from my iPhone and go with a new Android phone if the iPhone 5 is a lot better.
    They detect it based on what APN is being used. The problem is that apps like MiWi just override the phone's inability to turn on the native hotspot when not subscribed to the appropriate pkg. So the app overrides it and then the native hotspot app works, the problem there is the native app uses the data connect / tethering APN and that's easy to detect. PDAnet gets around this by setting up a different ad-hoc network and sharing the normal data connection but we all know the TP can't handle ad-hoc networks.

So it's not inherently an iPhone issue but a problem with the fact that the developers originally made these apps the easy way and the TP not being able to do ad-hoc. While Android will (likely) be better at not being detected (still up to the developers on how they enable it) you'll still run into the ad-hoc issues I would imagine. I'm not sure if that's how the android apps are being written though.
    yes android phones have that work around but it really is up to the developer of the Rom you flash if they take out the feature. This applies to only at&t for what I will say next, they have it so where their software will tattle on you when you use the built in tether, and they are blocking tether apps in the market if you use their service to view the market. Rom devs can simply remove this software and carry on as usual. The next problem is ad-hoc as mentioned. There are rumours swirling that if you upgrade your phone to 4g and had unlimited grandfathered in, at&t will force you onto a tiered plan. Look around, ask questions, and see what roms are available with what options and what WiFi before you commit.
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    I've been tethering off of an Samsung Infuse for about 2 months over the HSPA+ network in the Dallas-Forth Worth area, rooted (infuse is rooted oob) running PDANet over USB. Got a happy 'cease and desist' from them today via email, basically stating if I do not discontinue use by eom September then they will force me onto a 2gb data with tethering plan. Stopping activity for now, working on finding a way to 'spoof' and limit my usage a bit more to get back on it.

Always figured in this situation I'd call up and use the 'watching netflix' argument, but it seems they wouldnt give 2 craps if you were or weren't.
    WORST CASE SCENARIO he will get what others have received: A warning that he is tethering data without a tethering plan, and that if he continues to tether the $50/month tethering plan will be added to his cell plan

I've been tethering my Touchpad to my iPhone with Tetherme as well. No notice received. I tether sparingly at conferences.