Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes
  1.    #1  
    I just picked up 2 touch pads

I have been messing around with it and did the speed improvements from another topic.
    I have used android on my phone and Toshiba tablet for a while now.
    I really dont know anything about web os and have some questions for you web os guys/gals

I cant find any widgets for web os, does web os have widgets?

Is there a way to put app shortcuts on the home screen?

Is there any alternate browsers or gmail apps?

When use use for finger for a fast upward swype to remove a app screen from your home page, does that really close that window or just hide it and keep it running in the background.

After surfing the net in the browser for a while things start to get funky in terms of, when i try to tap on a link within a given site the link does not load correctly and just displays the code. also pictures will not load and just sits there on the "loading screen"

Now Im not trying to slam any of you guys/gals that like web os, obviously you have your reasons for using the os and I can respect your decision. But in my own personal opinion web os appears to be rather archaic compared to android in terms of being user friendly. Now my opinion is totally based on the limited time I have spent with the os. It just seems to me that anything you want to do requires many additional steps compared to android, basically due to the fact of me not being able to find out how to put widgets and shorts on the home screen. The os also seems to be very slow and unstable at times. I am oc'd to 1.5ghz which did help some. I dont know if the slowness is due to the os or the hardware.

I really bought these tablets in hopes we can get a android port, and knowing some of the dev's at the xda site i believe we will get one sooner or later.

I do applaud and respect HP for keeping the system truly open, the rest of the tablet/phone market could learn from HP's openness policy.

I have not given up on the web os yet, I am hoping to learn more about the os

Thank you for any insight you can give me.
    webos does not allow you to clutter up the "desktop" with a ton of junk.

for "widgets" style, purchase "glimpse"

no other browsers at the moment

email is built in, so no gmail app needed

to put an icon on the home bar, tap, hold and drag
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Hitch_itch,
    Take a look here, http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...tart-here.html
    it's a great thread with lots of info for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitch_Itch View Post
    Unfortunately no. I remember a mock up of how it'd work.. I wish HP would have jumped on it =) There is exhibition mode, which are kinda widget like when the screen locks. But support is lacking.
    No, all apps and stuff are in the drawer
    When use use for finger for a fast upward swype to remove a app screen from your home page, does that really close that window or just hide it and keep it running in the background.
    Depends on the app, but it generally means it's closing.
  5.    #5  
    Wow thanks for all the quick reply's, I will check out that link to learn more
    Global Posts
    2,153 Global Posts
    I just picked up 2 touch pads

I have been messing around with it and did the speed improvements from another topic.
    I have used android on my phone and Toshiba tablet for a while now.
    I really dont know anything about web os and have some questions for you web os guys/gals

Is there any alternate browsers or gmail apps?

After surfing the net in the browser for a while things start to get funky in terms of, when i try to tap on a link within a given site the link does not load correctly and just displays the code. also pictures will not load and just sits there on the "loading screen"

Now Im not trying to slam any of you guys/gals that like web os, obviously you have your reasons for using the os and I can respect your decision. But in my own personal opinion web os appears to be rather archaic compared to android in terms of being user friendly. Now my opinion is totally based on the limited time I have spent with the os. It just seems to me that anything you want to do requires many additional steps compared to android, basically due to the fact of me not being able to find out how to put widgets and shorts on the home screen. The os also seems to be very slow and unstable at times. I am oc'd to 1.5ghz which did help some. I dont know if the slowness is due to the os or the hardware.

I really bought these tablets in hopes we can get a android port, and knowing some of the dev's at the xda site i believe we will get one sooner or later.

I do applaud and respect HP for keeping the system truly open, the rest of the tablet/phone market could learn from HP's openness policy.

I have not given up on the web os yet, I am hoping to learn more about the os

Thank you for any insight you can give me.
    1. Have you updated the software? Make sure you're on the latest update.

2. As far as widgets goes, I would say that the "cards" are as close as you can get. Push the home button and put the current app into "card" mode and leave it there. Feel free to have several open at one time. As you open various apps, when you "minimize" them they will be stacked into groups of the same type of app.

3. On your home screen, to replace the stock app, push and hold until it glows and then move it to the apps page. You have to have an open "slot" for an app to go to. Find the app you want to use, push and hold until it glows and drag it to the bottom. You can even rearrange those apps.

4. Yes, when you flick an app off the screen, it really closes the app. I think the difference here between webOS and Android, is that you had to install an "App Killer" to make sure all your apps are not running in the background?
    On the Touchpad, even if there is an app running, it's not that big of a deal as compared to your phone where your battery life is concerned. Heck that's one of the nice features of the apps running in the background, their always on, ready to use!

Glad to have you onboard. I appreciate the way you voiced you concern with webOS compared to Android. Constructive Criticism is much more tolerable than flat out dogging webOS on a webOS forum.
    Last edited by wbdillworth; 08/28/2011 at 09:41 AM. Reason: typo
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by wbdillworth View Post
    1. Have you updated the software? Make sure you're on the latest update.

2. As far as widgets goes, I would say that the "cards" are as close as you can get. Push the home button and put the current app into "card" mode and leave it there. Feel free to have several open at one time. As you open various apps, when you "minimize" them they will be stacked into groups of the same type of app.

3. On your home screen, to replace the stock app, push and hold until it glows and then move it to the apps page. You have to have an open "slot" for an app to go to. Find the app you want to use, push and hold until it glows and drag it to the bottom. You can even rearrange those apps.

4. Yes, when you flick an app off the screen, it really closes the app. I think the difference here between webOS and Android, is that you had to install an "App Killer" to make sure all your apps are not running in the background?
    On the Touchpad, even if there is an app running, it's not that big of a deal as compared to your phone where your battery life is concerned. Heck that's one of the nice features of the apps running in the background, their always on, ready to use!

Glad to have you onboard. I appreciate the way you voiced you concern with webOS compared to Android. Constructive Criticism is much more tolerable than flat out dogging webOS on a webOS forum.

Yes I updated to 3.02 before doing all the tweaks.

android system app manager that is now built into honeycomb os does all the work for you, no need for a app killer app. android os will keep apps running in the background until your system memory gets low, only then will android close low priority apps as needed to increase your system memory. It actually works rather well and keeps the user experience nice and snappy.

thanks for the tip on the "cards" I will check that out later.

I was hoping I my post was not going to be seen as a flame, but more like I know android and I dont know anything webos, please educate me. I have read many flame posts in many forums on various os over the years and found no one ever benefits from such a post.

Thanks for the tips and info

Hitch
    daffy4u and Biggnaa20 like this.
    Leave all your most used apps running (don't swipe the card away before opening another app) and you won't miss widgets so much.

I pretty much always have a couple browser cards open along with music, USA today, etc..
    Hitch Itch,

The problem with you is that you are looking for ways for webOS to work like an android tablet and it is not an android tablet.

You should learn how webOS does things(just type, synergy, cards) and you will find that the UI is 10 times better than andriod's.

Yes.. I agree with you that the UI is little slow but don't bring this oh.. I am looking to port android on touchpad. If you don't like it, do us a favor, sell your touchpads to those who enjoy webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by rubenfan View Post
    Hitch Itch,

The problem with you is that you are looking for ways for webOS to work like an android tablet and it is not an android tablet.

You should learn how webOS does things(just type, synergy, cards) and you will find that the UI is 10 times better than andriod's.

Yes.. I agree with you that the UI is little slow but don't bring this oh.. I am looking to port android on touchpad. If you don't like it, do us a favor, sell your touchpads to those who enjoy webOS.
    I don't see anything in his post that warrants this kind of response. Hes just trying to learn the ins and outs of webOS. Lets be welcoming to our new user base and convince him, if we must, why webOS is supperior
    hey hitch:

make sure you follow that link that was posted to disable all the logging. yes it makes a big difference. the amount of logging that hp had the touchpad do is insane and by turning it off/setting it to minimum you open up the touchpad's true potential. i understand your frustrating with webOS because it's a new experience for me as well. you need to play with webOS with an open mind and not in a frame of mind to compare (atleast not yet, learn webOS first). this'll allow you to better learn the shortcuts and the details of webOS and what works/doesn't work for YOU.

the touchpad is my first hands on experience with webOS and while i heard of it before, i had no incentive to play with it until i got my hands on a touchpad. safe to say, i actually like it a lot more than android. so much that i'd love to get into theming for the touchpad. there are small details about this OS that just makes me chuckle every time i use/exploit them and i dont get that same experience with android.

remember, keep an open mind and play with it. it'll take a few days for you to learn and progress past the widgets concept and you'll soon love playing with the cards. have fun!
    Biggnaa20 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
    There is another browser in the App Catalog called Advanced Browser. Actually typing this reply from that browser.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucidlore View Post
    I don't see anything in his post that warrants this kind of response. Hes just trying to learn the ins and outs of webOS. Lets be welcoming to our new user base and convince him, if we must, why webOS is supperior
    Well... How about when he said "I don't know why people like webOS, there must be a reason" and "I bought touchpad in hope to port android on it".

There are better ways to ask those questions with those remarks.
    Yes I updated to 3.02 before doing all the tweaks.

android system app manager that is now built into honeycomb os does all the work for you, no need for a app killer app. android os will keep apps running in the background until your system memory gets low, only then will android close low priority apps as needed to increase your system memory. It actually works rather well and keeps the user experience nice and snappy.

Hitch
    So Honeycomb multitask now works like iOS? I see now why some of my friends said that Froyo still better handle multitask compared to Honeycomb.
    Quote Originally Posted by philliptt View Post
    Leave all your most used apps running (don't swipe the card away before opening another app) and you won't miss widgets so much.

I pretty much always have a couple browser cards open along with music, USA today, etc..
    Try this. Keep a bunch of cards open and then try to play a game like Glyder 2 HD. WATCH WHAT HAPPENS.

looks like WebOS doesn't prioritize memory very well, even though it has twice what the iPad2 has.
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
    webos does not allow you to clutter up the "desktop" with a ton of junk.

for "widgets" style, purchase "glimpse"

yes there is Advanced browser bought it last night and it improves the native browser 5X
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post
    Try this. Keep a bunch of cards open and then try to play a game like Glyder 2 HD. WATCH WHAT HAPPENS.

looks like WebOS doesn't prioritize memory very well, even though it has twice what the iPad2 has.
    So your way to put down the touch pad is to open up lots of apps and such
    over whelm the system and memory at once then say although it can do what the Ipad can't do its crap?
    Awesome! I love your name is that a hint of who you are?
    I think a lot of the webOS purists dislike widgets... I think it's rather cool and having multiple cards open is certainly not a substitute for widgets... It'd be nice to have a weather widget or some stock ticker widget like you can with Android. That said, the general overall clunkiness of Android OS in itself makes the perception towards widgets a cluttered mess but I do like widgets themselves. Now the device manufacturer skins and widgets... that's another mess altogether.
  19.    #19  
    Im starting to get the idea this is turning into a flame, and thats not what I was looking for.

rubinfan- yes I think it would be nice to port android over, but at the same time i didnt just say your webos was garbage, I stated in my opinion, everyone has an opinion.
    when I compare things like widgets and shortcuts, it is because I know android and i am trying to find out how to accomplish the same thing in a different os. again in my opinion, you are trying to turn this into a flame post. did you read my entire post or just selective parts? I did mention good things about this os. i know how to make my user experience better in windows and android and a matter of fact i know more then most. webos is new and as i see it was respectfully asking experienced webos folks on how to accomplish my goals.
    If all i wanted to do is port android and not even think about learning more about webos, I would have left the tablet in the box and waited until the boys at xda ported.
    maybe if i can learn enough about webos and like it, i might just leave this tablet running webos, its not like i need this to be android since i own a Toshiba thrive w/honeycomb.

thanks to the guys posting about the "advanced browser" I will look into that later.

macworld- you can take any os and open up 52 programs or apps and it will slow down any os, everything has its breaking point.

Thank you to the folks that have actually tried to help here.

Hitch
    Biggnaa20 likes this.
    Im starting to get the idea this is turning into a flame, and thats not what I was looking for.

rubinfan- yes I think it would be nice to port android over, but at the same time i didnt just say your webos was garbage, I stated in my opinion, everyone has an opinion.
    when I compare things like widgets and shortcuts, it is because I know android and i am trying to find out how to accomplish the same thing in a different os. again in my opinion, you are trying to turn this into a flame post. did you read my entire post or just selective parts? I did mention good things about this os. i know how to make my user experience better in windows and android and a matter of fact i know more then most. webos is new and as i see it was respectfully asking experienced webos folks on how to accomplish my goals.
    If all i wanted to do is port android and not even think about learning more about webos, I would have left the tablet in the box and waited until the boys at xda ported.
    maybe if i can learn enough about webos and like it, i might just leave this tablet running webos, its not like i need this to be android since i own a Toshiba thrive w/honeycomb.

thanks to the guys posting about the "advanced browser" I will look into that later.

macworld- you can take any os and open up 52 programs or apps and it will slow down any os, everything has its breaking point.

Thank you to the folks that have actually tried to help here.

Hitch
    Actually I am not flaming at all.. And Yes I read your whole post. While you were trying to be "nice" but you are throwing jabs at webos at the same time. That is uncalled for. And my post was on point. In stead of looking for webOS to work the same way as android tablet does, learn how to use webOS.
    un_designer likes this.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast