Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes
    OP you are new to webOS and the forum. Its very important to learn you are not supposed to type anything negative or derogatory about webOS. This thread will soon be buried and lost in the famous "general complaints" thread making learning anything new about webOS impossible.

I have likely just been banned.
    zappcatt, chrisjpopp and Suntan like this.
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rubenfan View Post
    While you were trying to be "nice" but you are throwing jabs at webos at the same time. That is uncalled for.
    Why? It is an OS not an old lady.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Why? It is an OS not an old lady.
    because we are tired of hearing it. coming to the forum and said he wants to put android on it, is not how you want to make friends.
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    because we are tired of hearing it. coming to the forum and said he wants to put android on it, is not how you want to make friends.
    How on earth would a new member know about that? More important, why would they care?

I think people need to wake up to the changes that will occur in this community - up until this point, WebOS has been a niche product with a limited user-base drawn from people (largely) who are actively interested in the OS or have some historical connect via usage of Palm devices.

Things have changed - the fire-sale means that, people have got what they wanted, more and more people are getting to try WebOS but those people might not be tech enthusiasts, or have ever heard of WebOS - they simply know they got a tablet really cheap and want to know what they can do with it. Quite a few will have bought it because they will have heard that you can put android on it.

Many of those users will have either have used dumb phones, iphones, blackberries or Android devices, this type of user likely now outnumbers webOS hardcore who bought the devices pre-firesale. They will be comparing WebOS to what they already know, so it's logical that they compare to what they know.

So they don't know why asking about android is a 'bad' question and why the hell should they know or care? It's an OS not a religion. If people are unhappy about that, then some debate needs to be had about what sort of community this is going to be - one where people with WebOS devices can ask questions about them or one where people are restricted to ask 'correct' questions based on the 'correct' usage of WebOS devices.
    Last edited by CGK; 08/28/2011 at 03:52 PM.
    Well said.
    As a serious reply, EVERY app is a widget on webOS when you minimize it into card mode.

Instead of closing the app, just leave it open and you have glanceable information right there. Want a weather widget? Download a weather app and leave it open. If you want to see the weather, swipe until you see the weather app. You don't even need to 'activate' or maximize it, it'll update in the background. It's just the same as if you were swiping to the home screen housing your weather widget on Android.

News widget? Leave your RSS reader open. And so on.
    leobloom and untitled like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by craigdts View Post
    OP you are new to webOS and the forum. Its very important to learn you are not supposed to type anything, negative or derogatory about webOS. This thread will soon be buried and lost in the famous "general complaints" thread making learning anything new about webOS impossible.

I have likely just been banned.
    Yep, if you don't drink the kool-aid you're a troll. If you see any positive points about any other platform, don't ever post them here!

All hail webOS!!
    did you move to mac and expect it to work like windows or vice versa? and then when it doesn't, blame the OS? People have been doing this with Linux for 20 years

I agree with the others here....don't look for how you can get webOS to look/act like android, you'll fail and webOS will be the bad guy. Learn how webOS works, keep an open mind, and you'll be surprised how intuitive it is
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariakkas View Post
    did you move to mac and expect it to work like windows or vice versa? and then when it doesn't, blame the OS? People have been doing this with Linux for 20 years

I agree with the others here....don't look for how you can get webOS to look/act like android, you'll fail and webOS will be the bad guy. Learn how webOS works, keep an open mind, and you'll be surprised how intuitive it is
    Some people are trying to improve the OS by making request or saying what they like about other another os. Back in treocentral days this is how palm os improved..not so with webOS os. It's really strange and sad that the touchpad is still exactly the same web os as was on the launch day pre I bought. No editable docs, no real settings for calendar, browser, email, etc. Palm os was Customizable, android yes, web os not so much. I literally added/patched/overclocking, downloaded all Apps I wanted in 1 night for webOS. Now I get what I see, and I have to live with it as is. Android I can add different launchers calendar, etc to suit my tastes and way of organizing. (seems like hp should just make web os a launcher for android, giving its fans the functionality and power under the hood of android).
    Last edited by craigdts; 08/28/2011 at 05:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    I think a lot of the webOS purists dislike widgets... I think it's rather cool and having multiple cards open is certainly not a substitute for widgets... It'd be nice to have a weather widget or some stock ticker widget like you can with Android. That said, the general overall clunkiness of Android OS in itself makes the perception towards widgets a cluttered mess but I do like widgets themselves. Now the device manufacturer skins and widgets... that's another mess altogether.
    Weather Dashboard in app cat. No need for widgets when many apps take advantage of the streamline notification system. this is also true for accounts your add to Synergy.
    Some of you are really missing the point here. The guy compares webOS to android not because he expects it to be like android. He compares it to android because, obviously, it is the OS he is most familiar with. He did make some assumptions that would suggest that webOS was inferior but that is certainly forgivable because he knows nothing about webOS, and stated as much.

As the owner of a launch day pre that is currently crumbling to pieces, I love webOS as much as the next guy here but that does not mean we should blindly attack anyone that has a negative opinion towards webOS, especially if their opinion is formed from lack of information. So what if he originally bought the touchpad to convert it to an Android? The response should be to inform him of the differences and why we believe our choice is superior. Kudos to those that have done just that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariakkas View Post
    did you move to mac and expect it to work like windows or vice versa? and then when it doesn't, blame the OS?

I did not expect it because I've used webOS before and know it's shortcomings. But people coming from android may not understand the closed uncustomizable nature of webOS. If there is demand android can do it.

Google android web os cards and launcher and you can see the card and launcher systems are available for those who want it on android. Not so for webOS

So I would blame android if I could not get it to mimic things I wanted from web os, so I will blame webOS if I can't get things I like about android.
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    I think a lot of the webOS purists dislike widgets... I think it's rather cool and having multiple cards open is certainly not a substitute for widgets... It'd be nice to have a weather widget or some stock ticker widget like you can with Android. That said, the general overall clunkiness of Android OS in itself makes the perception towards widgets a cluttered mess but I do like widgets themselves. Now the device manufacturer skins and widgets... that's another mess altogether.
    I liked widgets for the time I had an android phone. The thing is, if you leave multiple cards open, you'll just be covering up the widgets anyway. If you don't leave cards open, you're "wasting" webOS.

So there's really no good way to have it both ways. Having widgets would be incentive to close all cards, and then why not just use some other phone/tab if you're gonna run only 1 app at a time?
    if you want an android tablet then buy an android tablet. i am particulary hard on the original poster because of two reasons

1) he bought two touchpads but all he wants is to put android on it
    2) he is mocking webos and qestion why anyone would like webos?
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    How on earth would a new member know about that? More important, why would they care?

I think people need to wake up to the changes that will occur in this community - up until this point, WebOS has been a niche product with a limited user-base drawn from people (largely) who are actively interested in the OS or have some historical connect via usage of Palm devices.

Things have changed - the fire-sale means that, people have got what they wanted, more and more people are getting to try WebOS but those people might not be tech enthusiasts, or have ever heard of WebOS - they simply know they got a tablet really cheap and want to know what they can do with it. Quite a few will have bought it because they will have heard that you can put android on it.

Many of those users will have either have used dumb phones, iphones, blackberries or Android devices, this type of user likely now outnumbers webOS hardcore who bought the devices pre-firesale. They will be comparing WebOS to what they already know, so it's logical that they compare to what they know.

So they don't know why asking about android is a 'bad' question and why the hell should they know or care? It's an OS not a religion. If people are unhappy about that, then some debate needs to be had about what sort of community this is going to be - one where people with WebOS devices can ask questions about them or one where people are restricted to ask 'correct' questions based on the 'correct' usage of WebOS devices.
    Thanks for that, I'm glad some of you guys under my comparison.
    It seems that a webos card is really just a big widget, so one could say yes webos does have Widgets, they just call them cards. Just like you could almost say windows os has Widgets, they call them desktop shortcuts, although widows shortcuts usually doesn't keep the program running in the background like webos and android does.

Now let me say thank you again to all of you that have helped me understand webos better

Now as for you rubinfan, you need help, you defend webos like its your first born or maybe you own tons of stock and you are losing money on your investment. Its people like you that keep people from even wanting to try and like webos. It seems it would be impossible for you to say something might actually be good about android, just like it would be impossible for the devel to take a bath in holy water.
    Since you obisivlsy don't have any intentions in trying to help anyone here, don't go away mad, just go away so the rest of the folks in here can continue to help me out
    So far, thanks to the people that have actually tried to help I have learned that
    Webos cards are very similar to Widgets
    When you swpe a card it really closes it, not just minimize it
    There is an advanced browser
    I can change what apps are in the bottom task bar
    This thread is going downhill fast. Rubenfan...Just stop it we get your point.

on a side note I had the Pre for a year and have since switched to Android. After one day or using WebOS again I started trying to swipe my Android phone. I love the features, widgets and Power of my HTC sensation but god why is Android and iOS _so_ far behind WebOS in the way of notifications and multitasking?
    1) he bought two touchpads but all he wants is to put android on it
    It's $99.
    Well... How about when he said "I don't know why people like webOS, there must be a reason" and "I bought touchpad in hope to port android on it".

There are better ways to ask those questions with those remarks.
    There is nothing wrong with those comments, despite how much some people may not like hearing them. He was being honest about his current feelings toward the device. Also, while anyone coming to a new device running a new OS needs to keep a completely open mind about how it works, there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with looking for solutions that may feel more comfortable to them during the "transition".

Fannboyz raging in his face won't improve the situation. Your behavior towards him is a lot worse than anything he has said. It's time for you to stop.
    zappcatt and untitled like this.
    Help me understand how having many cards open (if a card is open is it the same as the full application running?) is better than a widget or shortcut? Leaving cards open and flipping around seems wasteful of system resources (battery too) and takes longer. In windows I hate leaving Apps running and I keep finding myself closing all my Apps when I finish a session with the touchpad.

Android and web os are definitely different paradigms. It almost seems like a desktop mentality was brought to webOS. Android seems to do the multi tasking for you, while webOS has you do it
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane112358 View Post
    I love the features, widgets and Power of my HTC sensation but god why is Android and iOS _so_ far behind WebOS in the way of notifications and multitasking?
    What am I missing, how are notifications for webOS better than android? They seem very similar, but androids seem less intrusive to me for some reason
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast