Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
  1.    #1  
    Don'y worry, just seen there is thread just like this. Any mods feel free to delete (unless I can I just don't know how).

Sorry everyone!
    Last edited by tinnedfood; 08/28/2011 at 04:30 AM. Reason: 'cause I'm an idiot!
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    a good question- I'd be interested to read the results.

I have a pre+ (and pre3 on the way- wooo!), so webOS isn't new to me and the addition of the touchpad has been a subtle change, since I already did a lot of stuff on my pre.

when I'm at home I'll take my touchpad around whatever I'm doing. If I'm cooking I'll have it propped up on its cover showing live news (usually al Jazeera live stream, which is the same they show on the tele); I know some people who've bought small wall-mounted tv's in their kitchen for this purpose- a tablet is a much better solution! I will take it to the couch and browse news, Twitter, forums, etc instead of watching tv (I don't watch tv). If I have a few emails to do the I'll move to a flat surface and do them on my touchpad, or do them lying on my stomach on the bed, otherwise I find it easier to use my pre for typing. I'll use it to read kindle books occasionally, in which case I might take it to work for the commute, but for the most part it stays at home. If I'm doing something where I need to take notes (e.g. A meeting over coffee) I'll take my TP.

my pre I use for email, Twitter and browsing when I'm out and about.

I used to use my linux laptop for web browsing and email when at home, but the tablet has taken that over entirely and I never use it.

I bought a mac desktop recently, which I use for development and document editing only.

to me, the phone, tablet, desktop setup is ideal. No need for a laptop anymore.
    Last edited by gastr; 08/28/2011 at 11:23 AM. Reason: typo
  3.    #3  
    Completely agree. My sister just got an iMac instead of a MacBook Pro because the TouchPad fulfils everything she wants to do out and about. I only really use my desktop for working, but soon it looks like that the TouchPad plus Keyboard combination with the QuickOffice promised update could cut into that, too!
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Has changed my sofa habits but once I need to do anything important or detailed I fire up the PC.

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk
    NoICon likes this.
    I have only fired up my laptop to side load stuff onto my new touchpad. It has become my go to machine for all internet related activities. Really looking forward to the Quickoffice update for doc editing, though.
    My big power hungry gaming desktop which doubles as my daily use pc hasn't been turned on for 3 days! I've gone from using my desktop for media production and consumption to just production.

The touchpad enables me to do all my web browsing on a much less powerful and far more convenient device. I could see my electricity bill coming down!

On a slightly related note, is the touchpad designed to stay on iOS style and be left in standby mode when not in use? Or should I be rebooting it once in a while for the good of the os? I'm guessing not since the os has its basis in linux and I have all the logging tweaks/patches installed.

Grindboy
    It's meant to be left on in standby when not in use. But all computer-like devices benefit from a reboot once in a while.
    Yeah, I was using a netbook for al, of my browsing but the only reason I have used that in the last day or two is to setup my touchpad.

I even watched an NFL stream with it last night.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    since getting my TP I have only used my desktop to pay bills and use quicken. I used to a lot of internet searching on my phone (EVO3D) but even that has come to a halt. I don't spent too much time at home creating spreadsheets and documents so that has not been an issue. Unfortunately my company does not support anything other than BB and iOS so my that will be a limiting factor or a blessing as it might be nice to not to be distracted during my free time. I really wish that Netflix worked, but that hasn't been a deal breaker yet. The amazon service seems to work so that might be an alternative going forward.
    I'm on vacation right now so I wouldn't be using my desktop anyway but my tablet's been great for the trip. I can see using this for a lot of light browsing and mobile entertainment but it's not going to be a real replacement. Besides the gaming thing, typing long forum posts on this is a bit of a pain and I'm not up to shelling out eighty bucks on a physical keyboard.

It's a great tool and was a great purchase but it's not going to make my desktop obsolete by any means.
    I still use my laptop primarily, my Touchpad is on the desk in the touchstone next to it. I used to have a secondary monitor there, but since I used that primarily for playing video podcasts, and I can do that on the Pad I ditched it. It was an old 15 inch LCD.
    My netbook hasn't been used in months, in fact I loaned it to someone last week and don't care if I ever get it back.
    Not much. My Android phone had already become my device for news, mobile email, etc. The touchpad (after 2 days and patching, overclocking) with games added for kids looks like it will become a big kids toy. It's slower to move around and takes more steps to do basic stuff than my android. Hoping it will gain functionality when/if Android is ported

Widgets are need for web os. Hp made the right decision to drop web os.
  13. SR1
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    I use it because its around. But frankly I prefer using my laptop for extended browsing or my phone for quick use
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Has changed my sofa habits but once I need to do anything important or detailed I fire up the PC.

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk
    I'm in the same boat. However, the definition of important and detailed have changed for me. If the Touchpad can't handle what I need to do, then on to the PC. If the Touchpad can handle it, the PC gathers dust. However I do find myself taking a break from the Touchpad every now and then to use the 19 inch screen and mouse on my PC (doing that now). My laptop has totally been replaced. I only used it once since owning the Touchpad.

Edit: Also used the PC for the occasional Command and Conquer game or Starcraft II.
    Last edited by k4ever; 08/28/2011 at 10:57 AM.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    My laptop has gone by the way side. I never use the thing anymore. As far as my desktop I feel that is something that could never be replaced, its like the bat cave or base of operations. So basically I've ditch my laptop for the very useful and portable touchpad. When we get a full quick office suite, there will be no need for a laptop! In my opinion...
    If I have to do something that involves heavy use of the keyboard then I'll fire up the laptop. The desktop is pretty much a game machine now and the entire family fights over using the one touchpad. Ugh. Why Onsale.com, WHY!!!
    miasma113 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by craigdts View Post
    Not much. My Android phone had already become my device for news, mobile email, etc. The touchpad (after 2 days and patching, overclocking) with games added for kids looks like it will become a big kids toy. It's slower to move around and takes more steps to do basic stuff than my android. Hoping it will gain functionality when/if Android is ported

Widgets are need for web os. Hp made the right decision to drop web os.
    I totally disagree. I hate the widgets on Android because they are a bandaid for the poor menu and UI design, just like the multiple home screen programs are. WebOS does not need them because everything you need can be access from a drop down menu near the clock or by simply leaving the app card running. I have grown to hate Android widgets and so have my kids (the biggest Android fans on the planet!) because the also suck down battery power. I would really like to see Google improve the UI design and hide some of the useless settings menus. You would think at version 3.x they would have done this already. Heck, desktop Linux various UIs (windows managers) are light years ahead of Android when it comes to design and functionality.

HP has not dropped webOS. The dropped hardware all together (tablets and PCs).

Don't mean to slam your opinion. I had the same opinion as you when I first switched over to webOS. To each his own but I think webOS would take a step backwards if copied Android (expect of course in the shear number of apps department ).
    leobloom and OleSalt like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
    I'm on vacation right now so I wouldn't be using my desktop anyway but my tablet's been great for the trip. I can see using this for a lot of light browsing and mobile entertainment but it's not going to be a real replacement. Besides the gaming thing, typing long forum posts on this is a bit of a pain and I'm not up to shelling out eighty bucks on a physical keyboard.

It's a great tool and was a great purchase but it's not going to make my desktop obsolete by any means.
    I think the lack of arrow keys to move the cursor make typing in forums a pain in the rear on the Touchpad. If HP would simply add those keys it would be a lot better. The physical keyboard has them. I didn't buy a physical keyboard until last week when I got back over $400 on my original Touchpad purchase. It helps but I would rather have the extra keys on the software keyboard.
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    I think the lack of arrow keys to move the cursor make typing in forums a pain in the rear on the Touchpad. If HP would simply add those keys it would be a lot better.
    oh I couldn't agree more! TapNote adds them above the keyboard and they are a godsend.
    How has it affected my computer using habits?

I bought this thing as a general replacement for my macbook pro now that my wife has recently laid claim to it . I needed something for note taking, general browsing, etc. wanted something lightweight that wouldn't be too much of a pain to lug around.

Now though? I've barely used my desktop since bought this thing.

I have always felt there was little or no justification for a tablet pc, but now that I own one, I suddenly realize it's a pretty nice piece of tech and I'm not really sure how made do without it. Reminds me of the first cellphone I ever purchased, or my first internet connection. It just becomes part of your life and that's that. It's finding plenty of use, and for the money, it's one of the best electronic bargains I've ever stumbled across .
    Last edited by ncinerate; 08/28/2011 at 11:54 AM.
    Tatobest and Sukiyaki like this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast