Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree60Likes
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    If you install the "Make It So" patch on your touchpad you can actually modify the patch to say whatever you want.

Warning: This thread is almost guaranteed to have a follow up showing you an easier way. I did it all from the touchpad with no CLI, so if this sounds like too much work, stay tuned for an update.

EDIT: See I predicted the future, see Jason's Post below.

For this to work you need:

Internalz Pro installed
    The "Make it so" patch installed

Open Internalz and navigate to /var/usr/lib/.webosinternals.patches/

Locate the make it so patch, click on it, and choose open. Carefully, replace "Make it so" with your custom message. There are a few lines where it appears, so make sure you get them all. I have no idea how long the message can be or if there are limitations on special characters. Proceed at your own risk.

Save the file.

Click on the make it so patch, choose copy, and place the modified patch in the /media/internal/ directory.

In the /var/usr/lib/.webosinternals.patches/ open the make it so patch again and choose "uninstall." Then restart luna...

After the restart open Internalz, and copy the modified patch from the /media/internal directory to /var/usr/lib/webosinternals.patch/ directory. Open the modified patch and choose the install button.

Again, restart Luna and if all goes well your custom message will appear...

Last edited by akshunj; 08/28/2011 at 01:18 AM. Reason: changed to internals pro
    daffy4u, sorli, Sonsum and 6 others like this.
    Sounds good, but I don't have this folder hierarchy:

"Open Internalz and navigate to /var/usr/lib/.webosinternals.patches/"

There is no "/var" folder when I open Internalz.

Please advise.

Thanks!
    Could a mod ship this over to WebOS Development or WebOS Patches? Seems more appropriate over there.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre in MN View Post
    Sounds good, but I don't have this folder hierarchy:

"Open Internalz and navigate to /var/usr/lib/.webosinternals.patches/"

There is no "/var" folder when I open Internalz.

Please advise.

Thanks!
    He means Internalz Pro
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Here's a bit of an easier option.

Download the .patch attached to this post (a modification of the the original "Make It So" patch to emphasize what to edit). Open it in whatever text editor you want and replace "PUT YOU LABEL HERE" with your custom label and save it.

Then just install the .patch via WOSQI or Internalz Pro.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Jason Robitaille; 08/28/2011 at 01:21 AM.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Here's a bit of an easier option.

Download the .patch attached to this post (a modification of the the original "Make It So" patch to emphasize what to edit). Open it in whatever text editor you want and replace "PUT YOU LABEL HERE" with your custom label and save it.

Then just install the .patch via WOSQI or Internalz Pro.
    Still not ***** proof.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    do I have to remove the old patch before I install this one, Jason?
    Quote Originally Posted by kyleprettyman View Post
    do I have to remove the old patch before I install this one, Jason?
    yep, if you a previous patch that modifies the "Just Type" label, you'll need to uninstall it

vwdriver67 likes this.
    I can't for the life of me get the make it so patch to work, I have installed it and after a lunar start still reads just type. Btw all the other patches I have installed works like a charm. What's different about this one, why is it not sticking?

thanks guys.
    Dis likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by stea1thmode View Post
    I can't for the life of me get the make it so patch to work, I have installed it and after a lunar start still reads just type. Btw all the other patches I have installed works like a charm. What's different about this one, why is it not sticking?

thanks guys.
    try a full reboot, power off and on again, sometimes this helps with patches and such
    What does this button do?

crappy phones -->treo 600--> 700p--> 755p--> Pre--->Pre- 2.1 F104-----Franken Pre+ 2.1 f105 ---> Franken pre2 2.2.4
    touchpad 16gig uberkernel woop woop!!!
    Is there any way to make this a Tweak where you can change the label on the fly via Tweaks?
    APP & Patch Makers Get on the:webOS Developers Map
    My Apps: Presentation Controller (for PowerPoint and Open Office Impress), PC Display Master ,Handheld X-Ray H.E. (Halloween Edition), Text Morpher ⓦⓘⓣⓗ ⓑⓤⓑⓑⓛⓔ ⓣⓔⓧⓣ plus Ŧεẍṫ ℉яεαḱεя
    Quote Originally Posted by loopytee View Post
    try a full reboot, power off and on again, sometimes this helps with patches and such
    thanks loopy for your quick reply, I still can't get to the bottom of this, I have removed and reinstalled the patch countless times and its indicated successful each time but still no luck and have tried the power on/off thing too.

thanks for the feedback guys
    been wanting to do this... Now I need to decide what I want it to say..
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Tried the OP's method and my Internalz Pro won't show the directories under ssl. They briefly display when you scroll all the way up, but they aren't selectable.

Jason's method worked. Thanks!
    Global Posts
    2,159 Global Posts
    thanks loopy for your quick reply, I still can't get to the bottom of this, I have removed and reinstalled the patch countless times and its indicated successful each time but still no luck and have tried the power on/off thing too.

thanks for the feedback guys
    Not sure if you need it, but do you have developer mode turned on?
    yes I do.
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    Post up some screen shots...

thanks guys.
    mine does same but if you click into just type it says make it so on the card that loads up, I've restarted and powered off and developer mode is on.

any help appreciated
    thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by akshunj View Post
    Post up some screen shots...
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    Is your language set to US english?
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it".
    Voltaire, french writer and Philosopher, 1694-1778

French translator of UberCalendar, sconix's advanced patches, Twithibition, AuctionMate, Communities, Headlines 2, OrganizeMe!, Homebrew Google Maps, and many other webOS apps.
    btopro likes this.
Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast