Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    is this happening on your phone or PC? Please clear your cache and cookies, and log in again after a reboot. If it continues, please let us know!
    its on my touchpad atm, I'll check on my laptop in a minute
  2. SR1
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    I have an iPhone and a touchpad and I could really care less what apps are available for each.and this is coming from a total tech geek. The only reason I have apps on my phone is cause I'm bored but I never more than 1 or 2 in a day
    tmark86 likes this.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wbdillworth View Post
    No, apps are what make the phone. Do you even understand why apps are created? It's because the screen size of the phone and the operating limits of a phone, keep it from using all the features of a website. With a tablet, you don't need an app, you simply go to the website. You don't need an app that is optimized, because the Touchpad will render the website as it is.

And it's webOS. The "w" is not capitalized. Thanks.
    Problem is, a lot of the apps are better than the website. Pandora comes to mind. Sure, the TP will play off the Pandora site, albeit slowly, but the iPad app is much better than the site itself. Granted, Pandora is redesigning the site, but the apps still look better. This is true for a lot of sites. The companion app, often, is just a better experience than the web, period.
    Where I disagree is the lack of apps in the future.

Lets hope so. I won't port to android until there is a stable honeycomb port so until then i'm gonna hang around webOS. It's actually a very nice tablet.
    If you look closely the email is dated Aug 24. It may be referring to last week and not this week.
    I will agree with you some. DailySteals.com wants to revert to the mobile site. I've not used an Android device so I can't give an opinion.

Where I disagree is the lack of apps in the future. I feel that if we, as a community, support our devs and even contact the devs we want to see on webOS, there is no reason for them not to continue to support webOS. We have to actively contact the devs and let them know we need them.
    agreed.

ps dailysteals works fine with chromium on ubuntu
    Actually, words that aren't normally capitalized should be capitalized at the start of a sentence.
    User of Android, Blackberry OS, WebOS and Windows Mobile (not necessarily in that order).
    Quote Originally Posted by craigdts View Post
    Android isn't buggy.
    oh yes it is. I've had various Android phones for the past two years, and there are all kinds of bugs.
    User of Android, Blackberry OS, WebOS and Windows Mobile (not necessarily in that order).
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    No, apps are what make the phone. Do you even understand why apps are created? It's because the screen size of the phone and the operating limits of a phone, keep it from using all the features of a website. With a tablet, you don't need an app, you simply go to the website. You don't need an app that is optimized, because the Touchpad will render the website as it is.

So lets continue to totally miss the points here

Apps are only for phones? Really?
    Hmm I'm a physician so
    I need to
    Type and work with documents............Need an App ( software)
    Look up drugs ..................................Need an App
    better browser..................................That is an App
    Medical Calculations? .........................Need an App
    IM...................................................App
    Email.....................can do on web but an App is better
    Games..............................................Apps
    Play music.........................................App
    Look at photo's ..................................App
    Play music..........................................App
    Play videos loaded on the TP..................App

Apps on these devices are software so I want software

but the correct term is App ( application)

I'm surprised a self proposed "Techie" thinks a tablet should only be internet based? What do you do with it when there is no net?

Also its what people want, you have an idea of what you want but people want it to be like the Ipad and that is the majority

you my friend are in the small minority I'm afraid.
    Quote Originally Posted by prim8 View Post
    I don't think android is any more buggy then webOS.
    Android isn't buggy. Webos has little to no ability to customize. Case in point compare browser settings, none in web os, alot in android. Webos is just unrefined and little to no progress has been made in the 2.5 years I left webOS and palm for android. What have they been doing? Without hackers this wouldn't even be around today. The card system is a neat idea, but not as fast as androids widgets and app switching. Why do I need the entire weather application hogging needed resources in webOS, when a widget would provide all the info I need with no app switching in android? Touchpad is really confining my decision to move to android. I'm just more productive with android, which was why I left palm after 7 years after testing webOS for 3 months when it was released on sprint.
    Android itself is definitely not buggy, it can be made buggy since the phone manufacturers add there own customizations that dont always work out to well. My Evo 4G and Evo 3D were both very solid running sense.

The only problem I have with webOS is the lack of apps as others have stated. There will be more apps from small developers sure but will we get apps from big names, I doubt it. I want a Nook app for sure but I am definitely missing other apps. Now what would be great is if someone could develop an app that would open Android apps in webOS!
    Quote Originally Posted by drfp View Post

Hmm I'm a physician so
    I need to

I'm surprised a self proposed "Techie" thinks a tablet should only be internet based? What do you do with it when there is no net?

Also its what people want, you have an idea of what you want but people want it to be like the Ipad and that is the majority

epocrates on a mobile device is easier and quicker to navigate then the website and so is Pandora. There are instances when the full site is better. Trading and researching stocks. Fantasy football also. And although craigslist and ebay browsers are good the full sites are more robust. Overall this would be a good case where the truth lies somewhere in the middle.
    cashmonee likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by craigdts View Post
    Android isn't buggy. Webos has little to no ability to customize. Case in point compare browser settings, none in web os, alot in android. Webos is just unrefined and little to no progress has been made in the 2.5 years I left webOS and palm for android. What have they been doing? Without hackers this wouldn't even be around today. The card system is a neat idea, but not as fast as androids widgets and app switching. Why do I need the entire weather application hogging needed resources in webOS, when a widget would provide all the info I need with no app switching in android? Touchpad is really confining my decision to move to android. I'm just more productive with android, which was why I left palm after 7 years after testing webOS for 3 months when it was released on sprint.
    agreed android has more customizations and is better supported. Most people just like the way webOS feels and see the potential if only they would be supported by the devs and a truly committed hardware manufacturer.
    I asked some developers over at XDA Developers to port Android to the Touchpad when I thought HP was going to kill the OS. Without support to webOS the Touchpad would be useless in time. Android would give the hardware more life. I would much rather use webOS and have been very vocal about it. Android would be the lesser of two evils, trash the Touchpad or put another OS on it. As long as HP supports webOS I will stay with it. To the Android users that bought the Touchpad just to get a cheaper Android tablet, good luck to you! Your are really going backwards while trying to go forward by using Android. Both are Linux based operating systems with a different UI (Davlik on Android, Luna on webOS). Sure you have the apps, but the UI is way better on webOS. It would make more sense to try to convince developers to port your favorite app to webOS and stay away from the Android headache. However, if HP makes the stupid decision to can webOS altogether, you will at least have another platform to use on your Touchpad. WebOS FTW!
    someone close this thread its way off topic for what it was intended for ...

thanks
    "I haven't failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    Thomas Edison
    Quote Originally Posted by drfp View Post

Hmm I'm a physician so
    I need to

I'm all for having as many options as possible, but I just don't see the value-add of having countless email apps to sift through just to find that one perfect email app. I just don't have that kind of time.

Over half of the apps on your list are built into webOS. Just saying...

Software as a Service (SaaS) and cloud computing have been moving everyone away from desktop computing (client-server) and more towards internet-based computing - it doesn't appear to be changing. I would not be surprised to see mobile apps that you download onto your device completely disappear and be replaced by software services that you purchase on the cloud. Salesforce.com is a perfect example of this.

The "app" model provides the functionality desired by the majority, but it's not necessarily the best approach. Coming up with a better approach is where one starts leading the majority rather than following it. I think that's why you are seeing this "race to the cloud" by all the major players.
    And the battle of webOS old timers and the new TP owning Android fans begins... (old P|C join date vs new)
    Can you really blame the webOS people? Many of us would like to purchase the TouchPad for ourselves and for our friends and family to use, but are shut out by the mass hysteria of people who are only taking advantage of the firesale to either 1) try to scalp and turn a quick profit, or 2) buy with the hopes of scoring a cheap hardware body for Android.

The bad feeling is because those of you with so many options in your platform of choice are actively deciding to squueze the tiny group of us webOS users out of the chance to own a device with an OS that we love.
    laoh and 11B1P like this.
    Don't be too tough on new users. Many who might have purchased with Android in mind are right now learning how to run the Touchpad with webOS. They would have never even tried webOS if it wasn't for the fire sale.
    RoverNole likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyebiter View Post
    Don't be too tough on new users. Many who might have purchased with Android in mind are right now learning how to run the Touchpad with webOS. They would have never even tried webOS if it wasn't for the fire sale.
    That is true. Rereading what I wrote I can see that it came across as that... I was directing it more toward people who have made it clear in various threads that they're just here for the cheap hardware and making snide remarks about webOS. If everyone would take the time to actually understand and use webOS rather than blanketed dismissing it because it's not ISO or Android....
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast