Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes
  1.    #1  
    am I missing something? I don't really consider this touchpad or webOS for that matter, a multitasking device

opening a bunch of cards/windows on screen is cool, but other than playing music in the background..its not really multi tasking.

apps don't load unless its selected and full screeen...web pages don't load while you're in a different card or another webpage...it seems apps/webpages don't do anything in card mode and only are "activated" when in full screen.

am I understanding this wrong?

hopefully further updates to the os will improve this?
    Bagbug likes this.
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mlkmade View Post
    am I missing something? I don't really consider this touchpad or webOS for that matter, a multitasking device

opening a bunch of cards/windows on screen is cool, but other than playing music in the background..its not really multi tasking.

apps don't load unless its selected and full screeen...web pages don't load while you're in a different card or another webpage...it seems apps/webpages don't do anything in card mode and only are "activated" when in full screen.

am I understanding this wrong?

hopefully further updates to the os will improve this?
    I don't know, my touchpad loads pages in the background. I can also open other apps and let them load in the background while I do other stuff.
    It's the fallacy of "true multitasking."

It's even more mind-blowing when you consider that other tablets that don't have "true multitasking," like the iPad, their web pages DO load when you are opening/looking at another page...
    Bagbug likes this.
    Yes, you're understanding that wrong.

The web pages you refer to, if I understand the browser correctly, will not update the screen while in card mode, but it will continue to load the page. Then, when you maximize it the screen refreshes and shows you everything.

I've had a number of flash animations going, and can watch them continue in card mode, so I know it's multitasking.

Most apps will pause themselves in card mode, and those that don't are the type that don't need pausing in the first place - such as email/calendar. Games need to pause themselves, as it is pointless for them to continue running in card mode.

There are no updates required to improve this.
    Where to start. First off, it does in fact multitask. Apps can, and do, load in the background if you open multiple at once. The only ones that don't are browser cards (and that may be a self-imposed limitation on HP's part, as the data, I believe does download after a second to initialize, but don't render until refocused upon).

Apps can, and in many cases do work in the background too.
    Last edited by Jason Robitaille; 08/28/2011 at 01:51 AM.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Overall, it's still basically single threaded with priority given to the main/open application. However cards are still active in the background with low priority.
    Webpages will load when they are cards/minimized. Govnah will continue to monitor performance. And so on.
    It won't be reflected on the card, but as soon as you maximize it, the screen will update.
    This differs from iOS and Android, where the app you have maximized is the only thing running and navigating away completely halts the process.
    >>This differs from iOS and Android, where the app you have maximized is the only thing running and navigating away completely halts the process.

Then why do web pages continue to load on an iPad when you navigate away and open another page?
    aiden9 likes this.
    You can load multiple web pages in iOS, because you aren't closing the browser app.
    echan228 likes this.
    I'll give an example of how multitasking works for me:

I opened up the Kindle app, downloaded a free/preview version of a book I need to read.

While it was downloading/syncing to the TP from the Amazon Store, I used Just Type to do a search of the same book title on Guttenberg Online. I downloaded a mobi version of the book in the stock browser. All of this while I'm listening to music streaming from another browser card.

I fired up Internalz to copy the free ebook file to the kindle app and rename it to spoof the original. At this time I received the email notification about my Amazon Kindle receipt.

Then I went back to the Kindle app and starting reading (and listening to some music).
    Last edited by clayclay350; 08/27/2011 at 11:54 PM.
    Just like load times... I think there's the fallacy in perception. Card mode keeps things in memory, but it's not like MS Windows where you can watch every window on screen update at the same time. You're expecting miracles, when it fact all you're getting is a superior solution to the problem each and every tablet has.

The biggest thing card mode does is prevent you from having to wait on load times every time you want to go into an app. You're not terminating the process and restarting it as you switch between apps. Depending on the way they've been designed, some apps you're effectively pausing/resume while others will continue running in the background.
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekOutDog View Post
    Just like load times... I think there's the fallacy in perception. Card mode keeps things in memory, but it's not like MS Windows where you can watch every window on screen update at the same time. You're expecting miracles, when it fact all you're getting is a superior solution to the problem each and every tablet has.

The biggest thing card mode does is prevent you from having to wait on load times every time you want to go into an app. You're not terminating the process and restarting it as you switch between apps. Depending on the way they've been designed, some apps you're effectively pausing/resume while others will continue running in the background.
    What you mean a Dual Core Snapdragon is not the same as an i7?
    anifan likes this.
    Did you even read my previous post? Also, check out the app Glimpse if you want to see how webOS can truly multitask like you describe.
    I have video no pause patch and a youtube video is playing right now as I am typing this reply
  14.    #14  
    that's why I'm making a post. I don't understand the os obviously, as I'm new to it. I was wondering if maybe one of the preware patches effected background tasks.

as far as the apps doing something in the background, I guess you visually can't tell in card mode and that's where the confusion lies..sometimes I can see pages loading in card mode..typically flash..but they are usually blank until I maximize.

don't take this emotionally or personally, I'm trying to learn.

it would be nice for stuff to not pause and continue to stay "active" in card mode. In that regard the os needs improvement. I even installed the no pause while minizednpatch for videos and they still pause when I minimize.

it'd be nice to do 2 things at once, which true multi tasking is.

I guess I should check out glimpse..too bad the promo codes expired in 2 minutes
    for whatever reason, new cards won't always continues to load when I'm using the browser. It only loads the web page if I stay focused on that card. Dont know if its a random bug or what.
    You can load multiple web pages in iOS, because you aren't closing the browser app.
    Well, yeah, I am not closing the browser app, because I am using it. I don't imagine you're closing the browser either.

But if I navigate between opening a page, then to email, and back, the page is loaded.

(I don't mean to derail this - its for another topic - but its a common thread around here that other tablets, specifically the iPad, don't do this, and yet they do.

And yet, in the TP we just got - for MrFinngirl - it doesn't seem like the browser continues to load when I navigate away. But I also admit we are still winding our way around it; its been two years since I have actively handled WebOS, so it might be user-error.)
    Mlkmade apps do load in the background. I'm not exactly sure why you don't think so. If I have several apps open then go to card mode after opening a link, or refreshing a page or tapping a menu, I can see those things happening even in the minimized card mode.
    I can confirm as well that things do load in the background. What you experience is a refresh of the page image. A good experiment to demonstrate that is to pull up a YouTube video and pause it. Note how much it has buffered and switch over to a different card. After some time go back to the video, it'll look like it hasn't buffered since you last looked then buffer status will jump(screen image refresh). This is what apps do as well in my limited experience(YouTube just happens to be the easiest to notice).
    Last edited by aiden9; 08/27/2011 at 11:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Well, yeah, I am not closing the browser app, because I am using it. I don't imagine you're closing the browser either.

But if I navigate between opening a page, then to email, and back, the page is loaded.

(I don't mean to derail this - its for another topic - but its a common thread around here that other tablets, specifically the iPad, don't do this, and yet they do.

And yet, in the TP we just got - for MrFinngirl - it doesn't seem like the browser continues to load when I navigate away. But I also admit we are still winding our way around it; its been two years since I have actively handled WebOS, so it might be user-error.)
    I will concede that webOS multitasking is over-hyped and other OSes are under-appreciated on this board, but what do you expect from a board dedicated to webOS...

Part of that is because what webOS has now, it has basically had for years and as such was in fact lightyears ahead of the others. It still is, but not by as substantial a margin.

Android and iOS have both gotten really good at multitasking between their core apps - email, web, etc... for typical users, it's a perfectly acceptable user experience.
    untitled likes this.
    I will concede that webOS multitasking is over-hyped and other OSes are under-appreciated on this board, but what do you expect from a board dedicated to webOS...

Part of that is because what webOS has now, it has basically had for years and as such was in fact lightyears ahead of the others. It still is, but not by as substantial a margin.

Android and iOS have both gotten really good at multitasking between their core apps - email, web, etc... for typical users, it's a perfectly acceptable user experience.
    Did you even read my post?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast