Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 81 to 98 of 98
Like Tree36Likes
  1. #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    To be honest, the only thing I've read in this thread that webOS can do, that iOS cannot in my experience, is write multiple emails at the same time (meaning have several emails open at one time) without having to save draft when going between one email to the other.
    That isn't the only thing that webOS can do better than iOS. Not meaning to pick on iOS and please don't get offended, but there are multiple reasons all over this thread why most of us did not/do not like iOS or Android on a tablet. You may want to read a little deeper...
  2. #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    It makes just as much sense as it did on the phone. Plus it added the extra cool factor.
    On the phone, your thump can slide over to the shortcut you need without having to find it and tap it, you don't have to orient the phone any particular way, and it can slide the entire length of the wave.

    On the tablet, why would you ever need to be able to do that? It would just be eye candy for eye candy's sake. It's cool, but not really necessary.

    As far as updating background cards, I wouldn't mind if I could control which cards remained active (in terms of live rendering) and which did not. Even if you could just pick between a battery busting performance mode or a battery saving mode.
  3. #83  
    This thread is getting silly. In general whether its a pc tablet or phone when we say multitask it means to be able to quickly access and move between multiple programs. And webos does that better than any other. All this technical stuff, give me a break
    k4ever likes this.
  4. #84  
    Honestly, the way this thread is going is out of control ...

    I don't think I would be able to coup with the speed of posts comming. Though my last 2cents is this:

    I have read a great post long time ago about the time webOS came out and someone described the way that multitasking feels in webOS. All the exmaples people are giving about multitask involves everything I have mentioned in my previous post.

    Multitasking in emails, Media Players, Browsers .... etc!

    The multitasking I am talking about is to be able "as the post I talked about put it" to run a navigation program and set a destination. While the navigation application is reading out the instructions, switch over to Document Editor and edit something. Meanwhile, switch to a program from some 3rd party vendor that would read some files and try to produce some result. Switch back to the navigation program and update the destination to a new one. Lastly, while everything is happening like said, an email comes in and you switch back to that email to reply and read.

    All of this happens while the program is still reading some files and processing them, and your navigation program is still running reading out direction.

    For me, if a core application can be multitasked, I am not interested ... Everything counts if ANY 3rd Party program can be easily multitasked.

    Whichever OS can do that is my first choice!

    my 2cents!
    Last edited by CvvB; 08/29/2011 at 02:58 PM.
    Presmurf likes this.
  5. #85  
    IMO, iOS & Android can do multitask. The answer is yes, but not 100%. someone said that honeycomb multitask now works like iOS. so it differs from Froyo, I guess. Some people claim iOS & Android better on multitask compared to WebOS. It is rediculously false claim, I can say not even close. If you are new WebOS users that just grab Touchpad from firesale, then you should try one on the phone which WebOS works far better because there is gesture area which can add significant benefit for WebOS multitask.

    So here is the conclusion: TouchPad not represent whole WebOS multitask. You need to try WebOS phone to know better. I noticed lots of new comers disappointed with Touchpad multitask because it definitely missing something important. It is GESTURE AREA for advance gestures! want to know more? maybe some video on youtube can help you or maybe some folks here have time to show to new comers how WebOS multitask fars superior compared to others with advance gestures.

    So whole debate about TouchPad multitask not represent WebOS multitask weakness.
  6. #86  
    So I have test for iOS & webOS multitask. which is better?

    Test: open more then 10 apps at as quick as possible. more is better. after that wait for several seconds let all of them loaded. now go back open that all app as quick as possible. which one back to loading again? which one already loaded? make more test stresser by open more apps.

    Result: you will find that on iOS some apps already closed and start again, while on WebOs still opened as long as you never close it.

    Impact: WebOs performance will drop as you add more opened apps. While on iOS speed still quite stable/ constant. Why? I think you already know.

    Pros and Cons? on webOS you control 100% open or close app, while on iOS, it control the multitask base on memory capacity. which one you say true multitask? you decide. For me the answer is clear. WebOS!
  7. #87  
    This thread is accomplishing nothing, I kind of wish it would just be closed already. Especially since the OPs question has been answered, where I even gave an example of multitasking in webOS. Yet naysayers and fervent fanatics are just waging war over nothing.
    I am, therefore I think
  8. #88  
    Multitasking on iOS:



    Multitasking on webOS:



    I put these together several weeks ago before the big announcement & fire sale. Take a look. I consider this device worlds more efficient than my iPad & I find it hard to accept an argument to the contrary, with the exception of some apps it doesn't have access to.

    Cheers, & welcome to webOS!
    In or within a day's drive of Indy? Join one of our meetups!
    http://www.meetup.com/HPwebOS/Indianapolis/

    Twitter: @INDYwebOSMeetup @steffej3
  9. #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by clayclay350 View Post
    This thread is accomplishing nothing, I kind of wish it would just be closed already. Especially since the OPs question has been answered, where I even gave an example of multitasking in webOS. Yet naysayers and fervent fanatics are just waging war over nothing.
    I think at least small thing accomplished here. Other platforms lovers should learn more before throw something bad on WebOS. Especially the one which WebOS far superiors to others. It is the title thread. True Multitask. Denial of this really somewhat show them that they know nothing, but say everything.
  10. #90  
    I think the point is webOS multitasking (Better) than any other phone or tablet OS on the market claiming so. Whatever they can do we can do better.
    Vote for QuickOffice for Palm Pre!
    http://quickoffice.ideascale.com/a/dtd/21866-5219
    The Bard likes this.
  11. #91  
    that looks like an ipad1 (year and a half old) is it?

    TP has some efficiencies, no question. It's up to personal preference though if you want to give up (in this case speed of apps opening) for what you get.

    FWIW, our TP runs no where near that smooth.

    Quote Originally Posted by steffej3 View Post
    Multitasking on iOS:



    Multitasking on webOS:



    I put these together several weeks ago before the big announcement & fire sale. Take a look. I consider this device worlds more efficient than my iPad & I find it hard to accept an argument to the contrary, with the exception of some apps it doesn't have access to.

    Cheers, & welcome to webOS!
  12. #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    that looks like an ipad1 (year and a half old) is it?

    TP has some efficiencies, no question. It's up to personal preference though if you want to give up (in this case speed of apps opening) for what you get.

    FWIW, our TP runs no where near that smooth.
    What efficiencies you mention here? multitask? then the answer is correct. About smooth matter it is another story. What you want to compare? please be specific, and maybe make other thread, because if smooth is your problem then I won't talk here because will derail this entire thread. Preference it is another matter too, because we discuss true multitask thing not preferences.
  13. #93  
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    that looks like an ipad1 (year and a half old) is it?

    TP has some efficiencies, no question. It's up to personal preference though if you want to give up (in this case speed of apps opening) for what you get.

    FWIW, our TP runs no where near that smooth.
    It is an iPad 1 & I mention that at the start of the video. I don't know why, but every single person I've had message me privately or otherwise makes note that it's an iPad 1. It's the same OS with the same limitations, regardless of processing power. I can do the same video on my Pre+ to demonstrate webOS multitasking & it would be nearly the same result (I can actually open & run more on my phone).

    I like both tablets & there are apps I use on the iPad b/c they aren't available elsewhere, but I also feel like webOS isn't getting a fair shake on this & instead of just talking about it, I thought I'd do people a service & show the difference. This is my family's real experience with two products we own & is a decision a lot of iPad 1 owners like us will face. I also tried the HTC Inspire over the weekend (instead of the Veer I was trying out) & despite HP ditching hardware, I'm back with the Veer.

    As for why someone else's device wouldn't run that smooth, I wouldn't have an answer. I would recommend turning off the logging & using preware to enable those patches, that does make a difference. It's also possible that the quality & speed of your ISP could be partially to blame....or...gasp...a few poorly coded apps.

    I tried overclocking, but never felt it was that much different (only an anecdotal opinion), so I never turn it on. I would say I feel like every TouchPad should have a fresh 'doctoring' (another unscientific opinion). I always doctor right out of the box before I even log in (I've had a few replacement units due to cracking & receipt of a demo unit).

    Anyway, there's products out there for everyone & that's what's great. I shared my experience & hope it helps others make their own judgements.
    In or within a day's drive of Indy? Join one of our meetups!
    http://www.meetup.com/HPwebOS/Indianapolis/

    Twitter: @INDYwebOSMeetup @steffej3
  14. #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Nope, my iPad actually does true multitasking too. Whether its downloading a large file, listening to music, updating my GPS coordinates, it all happens in the background.
    Only if the developer has written code to enable this. With Enyo, many of these advantages are already built in to the framework.

    Just like your Tablet options always being on the top right and app options on the top left. This makes a Huge difference.
  15. #95  
    [QUOTE=finngirl;3114335]TP has some efficiencies, no question. It's up to personal preference though if you want to give up (in this case speed of apps opening) for what you get.[QUOTE]

    Ok, so I re-read what you wrote & this is where I'd challenge you. In my demo, I have apps open. No need to close them. On first boot, absolutely the iPad will load faster, but a point always made for iOS is that there is no need to close apps out. So, in my demo I don't for webOS because that's really the only fair comparison when talking about multitasking/task switching. Right?
    In or within a day's drive of Indy? Join one of our meetups!
    http://www.meetup.com/HPwebOS/Indianapolis/

    Twitter: @INDYwebOSMeetup @steffej3
  16. #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    that looks like an ipad1 (year and a half old) is it?

    TP has some efficiencies, no question. It's up to personal preference though if you want to give up (in this case speed of apps opening) for what you get.

    FWIW, our TP runs no where near that smooth.
    Speed isn't the point here. The fact is that you don't have to reopen or reload or lose your place once its open. Show me a reason or give an example where you'll really need to open an app faster than the touchpad. If you are using the device and actually working on something, then you won't have to ever close it. Which is the purpose of the efficiency of a tablet. Its suppose to be efficient not just fast. Waiting 4 seconds for an app to open is nothing, especially since computers sometimes take longer. Have you opened up your email, calendar, music, memos, contacts, calculator or clock apps to name a few. They are pretty fast in its self. They are some of the main apps that will need to be opened quickly, and they do.
    Vote for QuickOffice for Palm Pre!
    http://quickoffice.ideascale.com/a/dtd/21866-5219
  17. DRFP's Avatar
    Posts
    309 Posts
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    #97  
    [QUOTE=steffej3;3114515][QUOTE=finngirl;3114335]TP has some efficiencies, no question. It's up to personal preference though if you want to give up (in this case speed of apps opening) for what you get.

    Ok, so I re-read what you wrote & this is where I'd challenge you. In my demo, I have apps open. No need to close them. On first boot, absolutely the iPad will load faster, but a point always made for iOS is that there is no need to close apps out. So, in my demo I don't for webOS because that's really the only fair comparison when talking about multitasking/task switching. Right?
    what I don't get is, this is a snapdragon dual core my intel dual core pentium $350 laptop beats the pants off of this TP and your iPad so what?
    Why make major multitasking a big deal

    it should handle 2 or 3 windows ok at max but other than that this processor is limited its a freaking tablet not a laptop
    people trying to do more than its designed use will be disappointed

    ipad and tablets in general do not replace laptop computers

    I just don't get all this its like P envy get over it

    Its freaking awesome for a 5th price of the Ipad even needing the patches updates
  18. #98  
    @drfp: Talking Intel Processor x86/x64 & ARM cpu it is whole different world. So If you want to compare real laptop with windows OS & Tablet with mobile OS it will be whole different discussion.

    I'm not techy to explain that, but maybe you hit a crucial point here. And arise 1 important question. So why laptop market shrinked by iPad market? Why Mobile OS with strong dual core still can't beat laptop with old dual core processor runs full Windows OS but people tend to choose expensive iPad compared to Laptop?

    I think you should make another thread with title Laptop vs Tablets Multitask Benchmark.
    Last edited by The Bard; 08/29/2011 at 09:15 PM.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Posting Permissions