Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 98
Like Tree36Likes
  1. #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bard View Post
    Gesture area not available on TouchPad is one important reason why multitask on TouchPad differs from the one on the phone (Pre/Pixi/Veer). Gesture area can swiftly back and forth between app which very important to me ie: I type Email / Sms / Messaging which need calculator / converter at same time. At iPad I can activate multi-gesture, but using 4 and more fingers really ridiculously hard to implement it compare to gesture are on WebOS phone. Other thing that benefit of WebOS multitask compared to iOS on iPad is I can compile more then 1 email at same time without need to save on draft first.

    -- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    I gave my touchpad to my girlfried because I couldnt deal with the missing gestures. Especially the back button is all over the place in different apps. And no advanced gesstures. Absolutely sucks.

    And I dont want no multifinger gestures, thats just plain silly
  2. #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    I gave my touchpad to my girlfried because I couldnt deal with the missing gestures. Especially the back button is all over the place in different apps. And no advanced gesstures. Absolutely sucks.

    And I dont want no multifinger gestures, thats just plain silly
    I read somewhere once before TouchPad launched.. that there are some finger gestures on Touchpad which I don't know it will be used to swift switch between opened cards or not, but up till now TouchPad don't have one.

    I think the only and simplest way to save absent gesture area on TouchPad is finger gestures like on iPad, but I don't want it use 4 or more fingers to do that. Use 2 & 3 fingers is the best. Hope this will happen on next update firmware 'IF" HP manage to do it
  3. #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    I gave my touchpad to my girlfried because I couldnt deal with the missing gestures. Especially the back button is all over the place in different apps. And no advanced gesstures. Absolutely sucks.

    And I dont want no multifinger gestures, thats just plain silly
    I want my wave bar back
    k4ever likes this.
  4. #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by ariker01 View Post
    I want my wave bar back
    Why did they remove this stuff? It makes no sense
  5. LurkerX's Avatar
    Posts
    357 Posts
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    #65  
    And the mini card view!
    k4ever likes this.
  6. #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by craigdts View Post
    Why did they remove this stuff? It makes no sense
    Wavebar doesn't really make much sense on the tablet. Advanced gestures do though.
  7. #67  
    As far as I know ... True Multitasking it true multitasking ...

    What other mobile OS do is basically push all the registers values, which is some time called CPU State, and save everything in the memory and switch applications. Therefore, only one application is running during a certain period of time. When you go back to the original application, it "resumes" working again. Of course, this will contribute positivly to the loading times.

    What webOS do is basically much like a PC. It will dedicate cycles to each opened application. Therefore, it will simulate these application working together.

    The confusion is in two things:
    1. webOS sends an event to the application that it was minimized. The application choses what to do. A video playing application can choose to pause. A game application can choose to pause. Others can continue if they wish. The browser can choose to stop showing the rendered images, but it can keep rendering and it can keep loading the page.

    2. Other mobile OSs basically dedicate extra threads managed purly by the Kernal to Core Application. It can also dedicate some threads to API calls that can help other application built by 3rd party to simulate multitasking. Much like PalmOS before, they provide an API call to play a stream of sound in the background. The developer uses that and then you can still here music from the application when you switch. They built the browser, email, caleder, whatever core application to run in the background when you switch. But, not all application can true multitask in anything they want. Because, the CPU is not owned by them anymore, they can run in the background by the APIs available by the kernal. Of course, you, meaning other OSs, don't have much headache in security implementation as you do manage strictly what to run at the same time.

    These factors also could explain lagging time for webOS. WebOS implements strict security so no thread/process can read other process memory space and/or hook APIs' calls, stuff like that. Also, webOS has to load the program from the ground, where other OSs switches applications by switching CPU state and memories saved.

    Sorry for the long post!

    Regards,
  8. #68  
    I know I will get blasted here, but WebOS does not multitask any better than iOS or Android. It does do application switching better using the card system.
  9. #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by CvvB View Post
    As far as I know ... True Multitasking it true multitasking ...

    What other mobile OS do is basically push all the registers values, which is some time called CPU State, and save everything in the memory and switch applications. Therefore, only one application is running during a certain period of time. When you go back to the original application, it "resumes" working again. Of course, this will contribute positivly to the loading times.
    Nope, my iPad actually does true multitasking too. Whether its downloading a large file, listening to music, updating my GPS coordinates, it all happens in the background.
  10. DRFP's Avatar
    Posts
    309 Posts
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I know I will get blasted here, but WebOS does not multitask any better than iOS or Android. It does do application switching better using the card system.
    Naw no blasting

    But yes multitasking is limited by processor too and the processor is no better then Ipad either

    I read that in some ways people liked the cards

    I did not on the browser so I'm using awesome browser tabs are back!
  11. #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Nope, my iPad actually does true multitasking too. Whether its downloading a large file, listening to music, updating my GPS coordinates, it all happens in the background.
    I guess the difference between Services and Application might come into play here!
  12. #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I know I will get blasted here, but WebOS does not multitask any better than iOS or Android. It does do application switching better using the card system.
    Read my post from page 1 of this thread and you will see what people mean by webOS multitasking.
    I am, therefore I think
  13. #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekOutDog View Post
    I will concede that webOS multitasking is over-hyped and other OSes are under-appreciated on this board, but what do you expect from a board dedicated to webOS...

    Part of that is because what webOS has now, it has basically had for years and as such was in fact lightyears ahead of the others. It still is, but not by as substantial a margin.

    Android and iOS have both gotten really good at multitasking between their core apps - email, web, etc... for typical users, it's a perfectly acceptable user experience.
    seriously...there were a few posts i wanted to comment on, but i guess you took the cake...you may want to re-read some of the posts and possibly even your own post, you you made a point to mention that "android an ios have gotten really good at multitasking between their core apps....." and you call that an acceptable user experience, im sorry but i do like my other "non-core" apps to multitask as well...i dont only use web and email on my Touchpad, and not only that but just the ease of switching between any app is sooo much more easier....

    and though this is a webOS centric community we dont deny the shortcomings of webOS, and the one thing we can all probably agree on is that webOS is probably the best OS out there to date.

    and in regards to the browser not loading pages in the background i can definitely a test to that....kinda bummed when i discovered that shortcoming, my solution was/is to let the page load about halfway(watch the blue bar) and the move to a different task/app, when you come back to said website it should be loaded in the background(kinda like the buffering someone mentioned)
  14. #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by N2HPZ View Post
    Having multiple browser windows open is not multitasking. You are still only using one app. Last time I tried an iPad, I had to close the browser to run a differnet app, like a game or the claendar, etc. I can open any of those on my TP without closing the browser app.
    We might get into that "what does closed mean" discussion, but I assure you that on an ipad I can go back and forth between writing an email, going to a browser window, copying something, pasting it in the email, going to a different browser window, pasting something from there in that email -- and in between take a call or fuss with the music player all -- without out ever restarting any app.

    And this is all without iOS5 swipes enabled; with them enabled its that much easier.

    To be honest, the only thing I've read in this thread that webOS can do, that iOS cannot in my experience, is write multiple emails at the same time (meaning have several emails open at one time) without having to save draft when going between one email to the other.

    I don't have to save draft to do another app's tasks though - just to open and start a new email.

    I can see some advantages in that, but its pretty minor to me in the big scheme of things. I can't say I have ever used that function on my desktop.
  15. #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    I am a big fan and supporter of webOS, but the fact remains that webOS has regressed with each new version as far as multi-tasking is concerned. I don't buy any of the nonsense excuses that the multi-tasking has been curtailed for performance and battery reasons. Heck just don't use the Touchpad and you won't use any battery at all. It's like suggesting that a Ferrari should have a speed governor installed to improve it's gas mileage. Bottom line is that, HP needs to fix, yes FIX, the bug that prevents cards from loading in the background. As for apps, I think they already do load and run in the background. Except for youtube videos that now freeze when in card mode, albeit they are still running as borne out buy the audio.
    Sanjay, I understand your frustration especially since I use both a webOS 1.4.5 device (Pre -) and the Touchpad (webOS 3.0.2). The Touchpad is missing the gestures from 1.x, the floating dock, and the cards behave differently. I think removing the floating dock and gestures was a mistake. However, I like the new card behavior because it does save battery life. The battery life for the Pre (and webOS 1.x in general) is horrible. HP had to do something to improve that. I'm just thankful that they didn't go the Android or iOS route.

    I think we all have our different opinions on what multi-tasking is. To me it's the ability to have multiple windows (or cards) on a screen, switch back and forth between them seamlessly, and share data between them. What I truly hate about the other mobile operating systems (iOS, Android) is that they do not take advantage of the larger screen that a tablet has. Why have such a big screen if you can only display one thing on it at a time? They really did not evolve from their phone versions, which is very disappointing considering that they want to replace a netbook or laptop that does take advantage of the larger screen. I think we all knew from the start that webOS would be able to scale up to larger and larger screens without issue because of the way the OS handles multiple windows (cards).
  16. #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Nope, my iPad actually does true multitasking too. Whether its downloading a large file, listening to music, updating my GPS coordinates, it all happens in the background.
    I have iPad & iPod Touch 4. Maybe you can ask my question about your claim that iPad does true multitask.
    Here is my simple question: How to compile 2 emails at same time without save them on draft? I have job that require write email to some people which need some copy paste but still need edit here and there before send them. Up till now I don't see how to do that on iPad. And another question.. How to attached 1 or more file on email using iPad? Need some app from cydia?
  17. #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by beardedspoooon View Post
    It's still multitasking.

    Android, iOS, they both multitask. I think the advantage webOS has is that you can control when resources are released. Android does this automatically. If you've opened 5 apps, chances are you won't be returning to that first app. So resources are released.

    With webOS, you can just keep your cards open until you get a TMC error or performance degrades to the point that you need to close some cards.

    The main thing is that, almost all of the time, we are serial tasking, not multitasking. webOS is handy at serial tasking as the cards provide a preview of what you have going on. Except when they don't render anything because of a bug or to minimize a drain on system resources (which I disagree with). If that were the case, why render any of the cards?
    You took the words right out of my brain on your first paragraph. Android controls what YOU want to multitask. It will start closing apps IT feels you don't want. You have limited control over it. iOS does the same but if I remember right it will keep the last 12-14 apps running. For both of them you have to press and hold the home button to see which apps you have running. I like Android's grid view of running apps better than iOS line view but neither of them compare to just seeing the app in a card. Closing a running app on both Android and iOS is a pain in the rear. Experts on both OSes recommend not closing the apps at all and letting the OS do it for you. Once again you have limited control over what your device is doing.

    For your last paragraph, I agree and hope that more patches are released to make the card behavior more like 1.x. However, I hope HP leaves it the way it is so novice users will get the maximum out of their batteries.

    Edit: On my first paragraph, what Android and iOS does as far as multi-tasking is concerned is not bad on a phone. It is a terrible injustice for a tablet.
  18. #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by craigdts View Post
    but load times is only a problem for webOS, the other major is like ISO and android don't have wait problems. Webos cards solve a problem webOS creates - lag in app launching.

    btw why does webOS lag?
    You still have long load times in Android or iOS when the app is ran for the first time. Once the app is loaded and suspended, the only thing iOS and Android are doing is calling it back up. That's why it seems like they are loading faster.

    Also, when you run an app for the first time in Android or iOS, the app goes to full screen immediately before it is completely loaded and ready. You still have to wait to use it. WebOS displays the app in a card animation and waits for it to be ready before going to full screen. This gives you time to switch to another running card so you are not wasting your time waiting for the app to load.

    The only lag in webOS occurs occasionally when you press an app icon and nothing happens, then the app springs into action like you startled it. I think that is a bug because it doesn't happen consistently.
  19. #79  
    A while back I read a great article that broke down multi-tasking on iOS and Android. The short of it, they really aren't that different and webOS is about the same as Android. The differences are, what apple allows developers to run in the background when the app is not in focus where Android & webOS allow just about anything to be working in the background--this has advantages and disadvantages (mainly battery drain).

    However, if we look at what RIM did with the Playbook's OS we can see a step forward in multitasking for tablets. They allow the user to decide if an app is put into a frozen state when not in focus or to fully continue operating. This allows the Playbook to play a video out to your TV while you do other things with it = presentation mode. This also allows the user to control what apps will suck up battery life while in the background instead of depending on the developer making the decision for them.

    As a new user to webOS I would say that overall I'm not significantly impressed with multi-tasking. Not saying it's bad, just not great imo. It just doesn't lend itself to quick access of information or the added benefits seen in the Playbook.

    Let me give an example. With webOS I will have a card open for weather, sure it's updating in the background but not graphically, thus to see the update I have to swipe over to the stack, tap the card and watch it update. With Android I go to the desktop and look at the widget, done = fewer taps & swipes = quicker = less time "multitasking" to get information.

    Personally I would like to see some thought into webOS' multi-tasking. Something like what the Playbook has--allow the user to decide on what app is allowed to run in the background or not and then let the app update graphically in the background if it has the privilege to run in the background. Then give us more stack on the screen--one stack on the TouchPad doesn't seem the best use of the screen. Thus, with one swipe I could see a few cards and their updates, then back to what I was doing. . . . or widgets on the desktop with a desktop view. . . well, that's my two cents anyways
  20. #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by beardedspoooon View Post
    Wavebar doesn't really make much sense on the tablet. Advanced gestures do though.
    It makes just as much sense as it did on the phone. Plus it added the extra cool factor.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions